DAT Tool (a program to create/extract dat files)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Feb 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hey,

This is a DAT Tool, a small program that can be used to create .DAT files (databases the game uses for modules and for data), as well as extract them. This program uses the original game I/O library - tio.dll, so you'll need to copy the appropriate files from your ToEE installation into the folder where you will deploy the DAT Tool. Since it uses the original game library, the files are created and extracted exactly as they were supposed to be! :)

The utility comes with a manual, which is simple but which is a must read before you start working with the program, installing it, or trying to create/extract anything. :)

Download here: DAT Tool Version 1.0

To everyone who is wondering: yeah, I finally got the permission from everyone I wanted to in order to release the thing! :)

Enjoy!
    - Agetian

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Thank you :) I was cursing not being able to extract a specific file all week (on a lap top and haven't room for a full ToEE extraction) and then today I found this. I'm Mr.Perceptive this week :)

Thanks Agetian.

3. Agetian

Thanks for showing your interest, Zeb. If you're gonna have any feedback regarding this tool, I'd love to hear.

- Agetian

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The DAT tool works great. It allows us as a modding community to see a lot of things in proper prospective from the dat files without having to be able to read and assimilate the data structure in hex format of which the average person is untrained and is incapable of doing. [Now, if we just had a DLL tool. *grin* j/k]

5. Zebedee

Feedback : It works and it's great. It's pretty foolproof too as I was able to use it. :stoned:

Shame about no visual feedback but can't have everything.

6. Agetian

Hey Zeb,

Thanks for the feedback. 'No visual output' problem comes from the fact that the program is, actually, a big hack that uses the original game library TIO.DLL. That DLL contains a premade function which does all the job on the .dat file, and there's no way for me to integrate DAT Tool into the data loop of that library. So, sorry, but it's something I cannot fix, even though I'd love to.. :(

- Agetian

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  7. Zebedee

I appreciate that Agetian. It's a very minor thing in any case in comparison to the ability to extract just one of the DAT files whenever you want :)

8. sooly

sooly Member

hi everyone. i'm sorry to revive this thread but i'm stuck and need help.
    can some one please send me the tio.dll and zlib.1.2.1.dll to get the tool working?
    i lost them some how and i cant find them anywhere.

thanks for you time

9. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Use Zanes dat v1.05 from the download section/other modding tools. It works good.

10. Ramiel

Ramiel Member

I am deeply to revive this thread, but does anyone please have the tio.dll and zlib.1.2.1.dll? <-(zanes.dat does not work)

I searched the whole internet but I can't find them, If anyone could upload it, I would be very glad.

If you don't know how to upload these files, I could give you a link to a data hoster.

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Are you using Zane's correctly? You drag the .dat file over the .exe icon: a novel way to do it :) Also, don't those files come with the game?

12. wizgeorge

The files are in toee root, but dll files require a hex editor. Zanes wont work on .dll files. You can get a free 30day trial version of UltraEdit32 on download.

13. Ramiel

Ramiel Member

I tried your method, but this is all what I get:

[​IMG]

Do you mean the TIO.dll and the zlib.1.2.1.dll? Could you upload it or in which section could I find them?

14. wizgeorge

The .dll files are in the toee root directory and the .dat files come with patch2. Different kinds of files and the dat extractor wont work on .dll. You have to have a hex editor to open tio.dll, temple.dll and any .dll file. The presentation you got is because a .dat extractor wont open .dll files. Two different worlds.

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, depends what he is trying to open. Zane's may have become corrupted.

Ramiel, sorry to be a hard-ass but I will just say what everyone else who is not responding is thinking - we don't post the original files of the game. If you own the game, you own the files :shrug: If not, we can't help you. I know you're not trying to amass a pirate version one file at a time, but the .exe and .dlls are the files that contain the source code and are the most aggressively-protected elements of any game, so we don't propogate them here unless they've been modded.

Our Host!