The Co8 Modpack and TFE-X

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Oct 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Why Jenelda? Is she lawful good?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Update: The new modpack, Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 BETA, will be upon us very soon now.

Recommendations: You should finish up your current game in preparation for the new modpack. The new modpack will require not only that you start a new game, but that you reinstall ToEE from the ground up. That's right. So wrap up your current campaigns if you're eager to see the new package. Otherwise it will be waiting for you whenever you're ready sometime down the line, but make no mistake, you will have to reinstall ToEE and start a new game when you use it.

New features: Co8 5.5.0 BETA will include all material from the original modpack, the latest CMF, and all the mods submitted since the latest CMF. It will also include:

• Hickory Branch 2.0
    • A repopulated Hommlet, with many more children and adults running around. Most of these are generic, but this reflects the module more accurately. Hommlet is not supposed to be a ghost town.
    • Dialogue overhauls for Brother Smyth, Captain Renton, and the Woodcutter, among other things.
    • The possibility of discussing Welkwood Bog with Smyth and Renton.
    • The complete maps for Welkwood Bog. Note that there will be nothing yet going on at Welkwood Bog, despite what people may say, but you can go there anyway and look around. The complete mod will be an upcoming priority, but I thought it would be nice to let you see the maps and experience the 'ambience' ahead of time. If you so choose.
    • New outfits for some NPCs, where appropriate, to more accurately reflect their portraits. Plus, NPCs you got used to seeing in hats may not wear them anymore if they don't have them on in their portraits.
    • The new shopmap will be the starting point for everybody. You won't have the option of not installing it. If you hate the new shopmap, however, you need only step into the portal the moment you arrive there.
    • Players will start the game clothed, with no weapons or armor except for the cases that were recognized previously (bastard swords for whoever, etc.). You will not be able to change this.
    • Proper money levels for starting characters (as was the case with the old shop map).
    • It will be mandatory that you use the new front end, TFE-X. You won't have to install it separately, however; it will come with the mod along with detailed (but simple :)) installation instructions. TFE-X has been shown to be exceptionally stable, and Agetian has even fixed the earlier issues with the Polish version of ToEE, so this shouldn't be an issue for anyone at all. You will not be able to play Co8 5.5.0 BETA without TFE-X.
    Redacted features: The new modpack will not contain:

• The Desperate Housewives mod. (Don't worry, this will be offered as an add-on pack that you can install at your discretion.)
    • There will be no fog of war in Hommlet and Nulb, nor any option to re-enable it.
    • You will no longer have the option to level NPCs yourself. They will be levelled by the game automatically - but it will happen intelligently now instead of foolishly like it had been in the old days. As we speak, Shiningted is working feverishly to redesign all the minutia related to this process, so it is in good hands. We considered this for quite some time, and eventually came to the conclusion that ToEE was simply not intended to offer that sort of freedom. The original intent of Troika was quite clear: they wanted a significant level of autonomy for their NPCs. While they failed at this with NPC looting and inventory management (and hence why humble NPCs will remain), they didn't do so bad with levelling, aside from the actual levelling. If NPCs can be made to level intelligently, they will retain a higher level of perceived independance and thus, ultimately, that revered concept of 'immershun' will hopefully be improved. Sorry guys, but Meleny was never, ever meant to be a barbarian. She was meant to be a foxy druid, period. (That said ... we decided we will make another add-on pack available that allows you to level NPCs yourselves, just in case the thought of Meleny no longer brutalizing unsuspecting victims across the flaeness is too much for you to bear.) :no:
    In related news: When Co8 5.5.0 BETA is released, the old CMF submissions and discussion threads will be closed down and out of business. In their place, new CMF submissions and discussion threads will arise, geared toward 5.5.0 and assuming it as a starting point. Additionally, the discussion thread will be run more formally so as to efficiently deal with bugs in a more productive manner. There will be bug-reporting guidelines put in place that are similar to what you remember from the TFE-X thread. (In fact, Agetian is also working feverishly as we speak to establish these guidelines.) You may think these guidelines are mean, but they are not. While we do enjoy being mean to you, we also want to help you. We are not very well able to deal with "my game doesn't work, what should I do?" style reports, so you will have to jump through some hoops if you want your issues addressed. That's just the way it is. The hoops are really not that high though, and by jumping through them you help us to help you.

Final note: Co8 5.5.0 BETA will be a public BETA release. The plain fact is, we don't have the resources to beta test this properly ourselves. So you, the people, shall be the beta testers. Eventually, with your help, it will come out of beta and just be a regular old release. We're counting on you. :yes:

Stand by for more updates as they become necessary. A new dawn awaits. :)

Take up your arms, pick up your courage
    A black sun is rising as the gods of Europe sleep ...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  3. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Will we be able to use our "old" party members that we created for the current version? I just mean the ones that are in our character "inventory" that we select from when we begin.

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Wow, Co8 is getting reorganized... Hmm... maybe we'll
    get a real website soon? :)

5. Gaear

You might be able to, depending on which version of the modpack + CMF you created them with, but it would be best if you didn't. We're making every effort to make the new modpack experience as trouble-free as possible (hence requiring you to reinstall the entire game), being as 'cross-contamination' is likely responsible for many of the woes people have experienced in recent times.

Best if you start new with everything. :yes:

@maggit - was that Google or personal knowledge? ;)

6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

@Gaear Google unfortunately... though I really must get a hold of their CD
    from somewhere. I only know the song with a fairly long title "The Death and
    Resurrection Show". If I had known earlier that your avatars are KJ's CD
    covers I wouldn't have felt so stupid for not noticing the obvious signs of
    you being a fan of Killing Joke. :p

Now, onto the topic. ;) I'll have a good reason to replay ToEE once again
    (haven't done that for a year at the least!).

What's that? A new map? Great! Kept secret, eh?
    And, what about the rebalancing project, is it already in? And if it is, won't this new
    map unbalance the game again?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  7. Gaear

Damn, I knew we missed something! ;)

As of right now, Welkwood Bog is just (multiple) new maps. But it will be a fully functional mod one day. The idea as I originally foresaw it was to offer Welkwood as an alternative to the Hommlet quests, with an equal amount of XP to be gained. So you could knowingly play the Hommlet quests or Welkwood Bog (since so many people seem to hate Hommlet fedexing), or you could play both and to hell with the consequences. Not sure how that will play out in the end though.

The rest of the rebalancing has yet to be integrated, unfortunately. That's a pretty big job - we could delay release for another year until that's finished or just put out what we've got now, and in the process (and thanks in large part to the marvels of TFE-X) put to rest most of these gameplay issues we've been suffering with lately.

As to KJ, they've had a long and storied career, not just the album with 'Death and Resurrection.' 'Night Time' is my favorite and IMO one of the best ever done. It features 'Europe,' that of the lyrics above. Also 'Love Like Blood,' one of their best known songs, which is either beautiful or horrifying depending on which way you look at it. I find it to be both. Most compelling.

We must play our lives like soldiers in the field
    Life is short, I'm running faster all the time
    Strength and beauty, destined to decay
    So cut the rose in full bloom

Sounds like something from an In Vain/mindSedge song. ;)

8. Gaear

Update: it looks like the NPC levelling issue will actually revert to the user controlled method. Despite some mighty efforts, Ted hasn't had any (or much) luck with getting it to work properly. It's an engine issue unfortunately, so unless we crack some part of the code we don't yet understand or come up with a workaround (and this is unlikely at this late stage), players will be levelling NPCs with the 5.5 modpack.

You will no longer have the option to not do this either. Installation options are being dramatically trimmed down, so it had to be either/or. And with the vanilla method being so badly flawed, the only real option is for players to do it.

9. Salk

Salk Established Member

Just one question about this:

"The complete maps for Welkwood Bog. Note that there will be nothing yet going on at Welkwood Bog, despite what people may say, but you can go there anyway and look around. The complete mod will be an upcoming priority, but I thought it would be nice to let you see the maps and experience the 'ambience' ahead of time. If you so choose. "

Is this really the best choice?

If I understood correctly, there will be a place to visit which is completely empty?

If it is so, wouldn't it be a bit meaningless to include Welkwood Bog at this stage?

And also, I *DO* hope it's possible to play with my previously created characters!

It took an effort that is almost maniacal to create a group of real heros! ;)

I guess I will just test this when 5.5 is out! :hug:

10. Gaear

Yes.

No. Trust us, we've thought it out.

11. Salk

Salk Established Member

I will surely trust your better judgement!

Thanks for answering and congratulation on the 5.5 Beta release!

12. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

I've never actually played any of the mods from here. (I generally dislike mods) but you folks have done some outstanding work, good job and thanks for the hard work you all put in.

13. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Are you saying that you only play vanilla ToEE? Perhaps you might be interested in Sitra's Original Content mod. It contains many of the fixes and eliminates most, if not all, of the new content. However, should you choose to accept this mission, you should post your questions on that thread in the General Modifications forum as this mod is not supported by Co8 at large. Although Sitra stated that he will be away for at least six months, I will be there and so will others who are willing to be charitable.

14. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

Til now I've played only the vanilla version.

I've played just this newest mod you all have put out. I must say I am impressed.
    Generally I don't play modded games as the change usually takes away from the original expirience. Although, generally the modded games I have attempted to play tend to be strategy games and not rpg's.

I like everything so far I've seen in the mod. I am wondering though if anyone has thought of making some of the temple encounters a bit harder(specifically Hedrak and Zuggy). I loved the game, but my biggest complaint was a 10th level party could roll over any major encounter.

Keep up the good work gents (ladies too if there are any out there).

15. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Sitra was working on the "Reactive Temple" mod, but work on that won't be finished until he returns sometime this coming year - hopefully!

My party full-timers made it to 12/13th level and they lost 4 NPCs: Fruella, Otis, Zaxis, and Murfles. I believe I made comments in the above mod's thread about making the Greater Temple more lethal. Unfortunately, none of Sitra's work is compatible with TFE-X and probably won't be until he returns.

In short, I don't think my high level party rolled over the enemy. It was a sufficient challenge for my first game. Perhaps the key is that I rarely fully buff unless it is an epic encounter (or I get my ass kicked by running through too fast and reload).

Our Host!