Uber monk build

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by mongerman, Mar 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. mongerman

mongerman Member

Ah crap. I'll test it again with 2 weapons and post the results

[edit] Yup. It counts as a single handed weapon once its dual wielded. So much for the build I guess

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

If you're considering to build a monk, then Lareth's rod it's really cool. Lots of damage, if you use charges and use it 2handed.
    Also, the staff of striking it's good, and it's used the same way.

Both are upgradeable ;)

Also, if multiclassing, instead of fighter do 2 or 4 levels of rogue, and two weapons with shortswords, bracers of dexterity, and necklace of wisdom (weapon finesse with shortswords, and later w finesse unarmed). Forgot about strength and give him a good constitution, for a dodgy, tough charcter that strikes at least four times per round. You'll compensate the lack of strength bonus with the sneak attack, and will be fast enough to reposition to get advantage.
    If later in the game you equip the boots of speed, it will be a killing machine.

For a though build, strength, power attack, cleave and combat reflexes, along with the striking staff/Lareth rod (or multiclass with fighter for extra nasty feats and a glaive or greatsword),
    With a galive and the fast movement (and boots speed if able), you'll be able to hit hard almost anything in the screen.

3. mongerman

mongerman Member

Half Knight, the monk thief build sounds interesting. Care to elaborate more? Like, why not more levels of rogue for the sneak attack, and just enough monk levels for the speed boost and flurry of blows?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

The more levels of monk, the higher the base damage you get from unarmed attacks. Monks are also constantly getting interesting class feats like immunity to poison, too.

Personally, I don't care too much for multiclassing monks. It seems like they are one class that the missed class bonuses outweigh the benefits of picking up the class feats of another class. I particularly don't care for multiclassing in rogue. Other than sneak attack (which is nice,) many of the rogue class benefits like evasion are in the monk build already, so you would get them w/o multiclassing and stunting the monk levels. I always try to build my multiclasses with synergetic class feats instead of overlapping ones. Too bad you can't build a Barbarian/Monk...

5. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

If TOEE went up to much higher levels, then I would certainly opt for a monk/sorcerer build as that would be very effective, but this game has such lower levels to attain( not much higher than 10-12 if one uses 7 PCs) that its only worth multiclassing if you´re a paladin.

6. Half Knight

As Erkper said, the unarmed attack improves with higher levels.
    At higher levels the flurry of blows penalizations decrease; combined with two wielding (two kamas for example)at certain level you'll get the natural attacks, plus 2 wielding plus flurry of blows with a small penalization.
    Also the speed keeps improving.
    The armor bonus too.
    And some interesting bonuses and feats (the saving throws of a monk are amazing, close to that of a paladin, you'll rarely see your monk under some spell effect)

Multiclassing a monk just works if you're intending something specific:

-Light warrior: human 2-4 rogue/ 6 n' up monk. Dodge, mobility, weapon finesse,2w fighting, 2w defense. High dex, con, and wis. Bracers of armor, Gloves of dexterity, necklace of wisdom, cloak of resistance and -if able-boots of speed (or potions of haste).
    Fast, and quick, isn't a strong warrior, but can reposition easily, and it's really hard to affect with spells or effects or be hit in melee. Excelent flanker or "distraction guy" ;)

7. mongerman

mongerman Member

8. Half Knight

Let's put it this way:

If you have a shield and a full plate, would it help against someone tripping you?

Nope.

You just need to "touch" a character to trip, no matter which armor the opponent it's wearing, so AC would be just base 10 + dex modifyer.

That applies even to Iuz! Of course, he have uber-stats, so he'll probably win the trip attempt.

trip it's an opposed strength check (defender has the option to choose between strength or dex)

The same goes for "touch" spells, a shocking grasp spell just need to touch you (what's more, it would help if it wearing metal) no matter the armor.

9. Typhon

Typhon Member

rod of the python is only 4 feet long, not quite what i'd call a staff unless youre a halfling or something.

dual wielding rods of the python is superior to just using fists and it makes me feel cooler too, especially when enhanced via crafting. i also actually prefer brutally hammering my opponents to death with them than relying on stunning fist/quivering palm which has limited value to me. the monks movement speed doesnt often swing the tide of battles but it doesnt hurt either.

i support mixing monk with rogue, and have done so myself, but its a very difficult decision when you're making such a combat oriented character: do you want the second attack on your flurry of blows at lvl 11 of monk, or do you want the strength damage on your sneak attacks that you can chose as a 10th lvl rogue... i tend to opt for the str dmg because of how devastating it is with so many attacks per round at your disposal.

and you could throw in some fighter/ranger for bab & feats if you werent opting for 9 or 11 lvls of monk.. perhaps 2 ftr / 2 rng / 5 monk / 11 rog would maximize what you get from this build. iirc, the ranger twf does count when choosing feats in ToEE, so it would be better than taking 4 lvls of fighter, giving you track, favored enemy, better saves and a feat you want at the cost of only 4 possible hp. but this kind of makes you an uber hybrid/rogue build more than a monk.

keep in mind this advice is coming from a solo player, i tend to need my character to be able to dish out damage, defend/tank himself, be the party face, the lockpick/trap disabler/sneaker, etc. and i have the luxury of leveling to 20 fairly quickly too. in a large party scenario, this character might take time to shine.

10. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

If not already mentioned, while using Flurry, do not calculate x1.5 damage for two handed weapons - the quarterstaff.

Our Host!