DAT Tool (a program to create/extract dat files)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Feb 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

If a person is planning on doing some modding of there own, at least the files are there. I have 3 computers and I move a lot of files around, but I keep all the important ones(.dat, .dll, etc) originals in a safe external source. Already had one harddrive crash and lost many, many hours of work. Never edit the original files in root. Transfer to another computer or external source and do your editing/modding there.

2. Ramiel

Ramiel Member

Oh, are these two .dll-files such important things?

I am not sure if I understand you right, but my screenshot doesn't show the opening of a .dll-file, I tried that program on a .dat-file (with draggin' the file on the zane-.exe).

And ToEE is Temple of the Elemental Evil? I never heard of that game, is it an original game or an Add-On?

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This is a site for modding the Atari game Temple of Elemental Evil and those DAT tools were developed for that game. If you don't have the game, thats why you can't get the tools to work.

If anyone would like to contact Ramiel privately and help him out, please do.

4. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

This is the first OS I tried this on so maybe I am doing something wrong. I copied the two needed dll files into the same directory as the dat tool. And I try to run it in windows 7 64bit and it errors out on me.

dattool.exe - Application Error
    The application was unable to start correct (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

5. wizgeorge

ToEE is a dll, python script game engine. The dat files 1-4 can be opened with a dat extractor like Zanes 1.0.5. Dll files are written in hex (base 16) and require a hex editor like UltraEdit32. The OS shouldn't matter, but you can't trust no damn computer. A dat extractor wont open a dll file. Two totally different technologies.

6. Shiningted

Hmmmm... based on Ag's OP, I tihnk he is saying he copied the .dlls needed to run Ag's new extractor but it still didn't work.

Taltamir, have you tried Zane's? It works fine onece you realise you have to drag the .dat over the .exe and drop it in, as it were.

7. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

wait... drag it unto? I was double clicking the exe, do I need to run it using command prompt or something?

wizgeorge:
    I never tried to open a dll in the dat extractor. I was following the following instructions:
    I created a directory, copied the EXE to it, copied the two dll files to it, then double clicked the exe... then ran the exe as administrator, then tried it in XP compatibility mode as an administrator, nothing worked.

EDIT:
    command prompt does the same thing.

also:
    So it reads as if there should be a GUI interface to choose "extract" from.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  8. wizgeorge

Zanes works great. Just extract to the toeeroot and click on a dat file and it creates a folder. Quick and easy.

9. Shiningted

Sorry, Taltamir, we're talking at cross-purposes. Its Zane's that you drag-and-drop things into, and as WizGeorge says, it works great. You can get it here:

Zane's ToEExtract v1.05 - http://files.co8.org/tools/toeeextract.rar

10. taliwang

taliwang Member

can someone upload the two dll? i have downloaded the game (1.2gigs) and when i applied the patch error it says cannot find any toee(usa ) on your computer

11. wizgeorge

You should be able to install the game from the CD and apply Atari patch2. If you are using a no-cd crack then you must have the correct one. Search the forums for more info. You can Google what you need.
    The DAT extractor is for .dat files and a hex editor is needed for .dll files. All the files come with the install in the ToEE root directory.
    Never edit/change the original game files except in an external source or drive that doesn't have ToEE on it.

12. narsa

narsa MirrorJumper

Wait, is this program only for a specific game?:confused:

13. wizgeorge

Don't think so. Should work on any file with the .dat extension.

14. narsa

narsa MirrorJumper

well if thats the case, i will need to get TIO.DLL and the other one from somewhere else
    however, the thing is ive search the whole internet and havent found any reference to either of the files (except here of course). If these files come with some Atari game then i expect that this program is only for that game.
    (i apoligize if i sound a bit "rude" but i just really want to be able to use dattool)

15. wizgeorge

All the files are in the Toee root directory. Zanes 1.0.5 is in the downloads and must be in Toee root. Extract it there and copy/paste the extract to the root.The dat files are big and take awhile to run.
    The dll files reuire a hex editor, like ultraedit32 which has a 30day free-trial.
    All editing should be done in an external source/partition that doesn't have toee on it. A 4GB flash would be handy.

Our Host!