Merchant Inventory Refresh

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Sep 18, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Those of you talking about Armario - how are you getting masterwork items from him? I thought he didn't switch to MW stuff properly. I even fixed it for the next release and everything. :twitch:

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

For me, I finish the Deklo Grove mission and report to Armario about the wood now being available. Then a day or so later his MW inventory was available, but he never refreshed.

I read about how you had to enter the eastern door he then would have the inventory refreshed and have use that route ever since.

3. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I will second this. He has quite a selection of masterwork composite bows.

:xeyes:
    Ok. I read this and thought, hmm, I guess I have changed where I enter this building since he is over on the western side and have been entering the door over there. So I went back to Hommlet and approached the building and saved my game. I went in the western door (there are 3 doors actually - I will call them the far western door, the western door, and the eastern door). I checked Amario's inventory and it was not refreshed. So then I reloaded and entered using the eastern door. To my shock, Amario's inventory was now refreshed! Is it scripted depending on which door you enter?

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

No idea of or what the script is but it is interesting that one out of three doors gives you the prize. If you have more than one higher strength bow user, the extra bows are nice to have access to. That plus the larger groups of arrows and bolts available at one shopping trip.

5. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I've never had a problem with Armario. He's ok. Right after the deklo grove, you go see him, tell him you're the one who made the deklo wood possible and then wait a day and he has all the masterwork bows you can think of, except for a repeater I think.

6. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I will confirm, at least on my game install, that he does not have a repeating crossbow. Shame he does not, as you can only purchase one at the starting shop, until you get the gnome's (Wanaleen?) or Lolo's from the Drow.

7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

While playing 5.9.1 NC, I spoke to the cabinet maker. He had nothing to sell me, but he said that if he could get hold of some Deklo wood, then he would make some masterwork items for sale. So I did the woodcutter's quest to clear Deklo Grove, spoke to Armario, he said come back after he has had time to make the masterwork items. I came back after a day had passed, went in through the eastern door, and Armario had the following notable items for sale:

masterwork greatclub
    masterwork club
    masterwork longbow
    masterwork light crossbow
    masterwork heavy crossbow
    masterwork quarterstaff
    composite longbow
    masterwork shortbow
    masterwork small quarterstaff
    composite longbow (Str 12)
    composite longbow (Str 16)
    composite shortbow (Str 12)
    composite shortbow (Str 14)
    masterwork composite longbow (Str 12)
    masterwork composite longbow (Str 14)
    masterwork composite longbow (Str 16)
    2x masterwork composite shortbow (Str 12)
    masterwork composite shortbow (Str 14)
    composite longbow (Str 18)
    masterwork composite longbow (Str 18)
    large masterwork wooden shield
    wooden elvish shield
    wooden tower shield
    masterwork bark armor
    darkwood buckler
    large darkwood shield

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've never had a problem making Armario work if you just wait a bit (like a week, a la the official rules)
    This is worth looking into - Cerulean's script certainly works - but I will add, I specifically focussed on Armario in my own investigations into why respawning didn't work, and I tried moving the box around to different sectors etc - it never did anything for me.

9. Gaear

After thinking about this a bit and trying to 'have an idea,' ;) I've concluded (for my own purposes) that there are simply too many variables to consider (and unlimited testing that would need to be done to verify the variables), so I think we'll just use the respawn script for all indoor vendors. I've done it with a few already and it works fine whenever it's used.

It's a shame though - I hate resorting to workarounds when the real answers might not be that far off, but ToEE will drive you crazy that way. I suspect the behavior is hard-coded (there are no scripts that I'm aware of that say 'resfresh when using the east door,' etc.), but 4 or 5 years of testing could probably reveal exactly what the parameters are.

I think that's at the very heart of the real problem here: different results for different players/testers. Armario works one way for Sitra, another way for Ted. Nira Melubb works perfectly for me without any mods, but doesn't work for others. How can you get anything resolved that way? How are those mixed results even possible?

As HK would say, "damned ToEE."

Well he's been 'fixed' now, regardless. Someone (cezmail I think) reported in the 5.9 thread that he wasn't selling MW stuff, just promising it over and over. I verified and bulletproofed the dialog. I guess he must have been working right afterall anyway. (This isn't refresh-related, btw, just a matter of whether he switches to MW merchant or not.)

Anyway, thanks for all the testing and reporting, everybody.

10. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Armario needs a masterwork elven shield in his inventory. And a repeater. :yes:

11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

The elven shield is already considered masterwork. I was able to enhance it with no problem in the past.

12. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

What about locking all the other doors with an insanely high DC, just to force people into the correct door so he always refreshes?

13. Gaear

I refuse to play ball with ToEE's foolishness that way. :p

Okay, everybody has been scripted to refresh, according to these parameters:

Refresh every day: they are busy, get restocked and offload frequently

• All Verbobonc merchants
    • Hommlet*:
      • Burne
      • Calmert
      • Rannos and Gremag
      • Nira Melubb
    Refresh every week: they are not as busy, because they are smaller operations and/or they live in places where trade is dangerous

• All Nulb merchants*
    • Hommlet*
      • Jakk Borton (leather)
      • Bing (leather)
      • Jinnerth (tailor)
      • Armario (cabinet maker)
    Refresh every hour: they supply drinks. Yay!

• Hommlet
      • Glora Gundigoot
    • Verbobonc
      • Jenna

* Brother Smyth in Hommlet and Otis in Nulb refresh whenever they want to, because they are unaltered, because they are the only two merchants who do so unfailingly vanilla.

As Ted has already pointed out, Mother will probably auto-refresh too, because she's on an outdoor map. She's unaltered like Smyth and Otis.

I didn't fiddle Lareth, mainly because I didn't feel inclined to reverse engineer Livonya's scripting (he's spawned in the tower somehow) and because that location might actually be one where there is zero traffic in terms of 'merchant caravans' and the like coming by to take your stuff off your hands and give you new stuff anyway.

If you hate being forced to wait a week for some merchants to refresh, remember that time means nothing in ToEE and you can just stand there and pass time for a week if you want to. You don't even have to leave the map. The delays are for those who appreciate the RP.

[edit]

Almost forgot - as of right now, Ah Fong will only refresh once, that snooty bastard. Still trying to figure him out ...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  14. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

Thanks for taking the time to do this with the inventories.

15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I also will add my thanks for all the work and support you have done Gaear.

The ability to have all these refreshes will be nice when you acquire lots of loot and do not want to have full inventories on all those merchants for the best prices.

Just asking, not criticizing, what about the merchants in Verbobanc? None of them renew at all from my own experience.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
Our Host!