Circle of Eight Modpack 5.6.0 General Commentary and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Aug 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Area 210, look at the map.

You've changed it to area 211 (corridor of elements).

On a side note, in the original module apparently that room had a trap that could send you to the elemental air node. Brutal! (also explains why they'd even bother with Taki and Ashrem)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yep, looks like I read that wrong. We'll change it back. btw, isn't it strange that there's no staircase there? The module doesn't say anything about dropping down from the ceiling or anything like that.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

There could be a spiral staircase descending from the ceiling. But there's a problem with the landing, and it would imply that you can reascend. Hmmm...

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

From the module area description:

"The ceiling vaults to a height of 40
    feet.
    The walls and floor of the room are
    of polished gray stone with whorls of
    glittering mica; the floor is partially
    obscured by swirling, eddying, softly
    glowing mist.
    In the center of the area is a great pierced
    square of bronze, ten feet on a side. A dome
    is pierced in the northern ceiling, a circular
    shaft some 20 feet wide opening directly
    over a pit of the same diameter and five feet
    depth.
    "

So it seems like you'd have to handle a 45 foot drop there.

If ToEE had rope climbing / acrobatics implemented, that would be one place to check for them. As it is, best to leave it abstracted...

5. aratuk

aratuk Member

Blay Jay's Sheep bug?

I'm a bit of a newbie. Please excuse me if I'm not doing this properly.

1) Co8 5.6.0 BETA, plain, have never played the vanilla version.
    2) Running on Windows XP Pro SP3, Clamwin antivirus
    3) US version
    4) TFE-X ver.2.2
    5) no other modifications, but about to try installing 5.6.1
    6) Couldn't solve the sheep quest, so checked a few walkthroughs. The hemlock simply doesn't spawn in Black Jay's field, unless it's very hard to find, which the walkthroughs I've read suggest isn't the case, referring to "several small plants." I did a lot of intervening things before I went back to look for it, so is there some kind of time limit before it unspawns? (Which wouldn't necessarily be a bug, I guess. But if he says his sheep are still dying, the hemlock should still be there, right?) I even tried killing the sheep to see if I could find some inside of them, thinking you guys may have made some odd alteration putting it there, but no go. Anyone else had this problem?

6. Gaear

7. Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker Established Member

Why me?

So I installed & played this mod & then by the time got to the part in the fields w/ the hill giant& the bear, I tried to shoot off a fireball & it'd freeze.

So I went & reinstalled Patch 2 & now I'm getting an error about corrupted something or other. ("due to an unknown error, ...can't be loaded....")

Am I screwed?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

It's a known bug. If all your saves are corrupt then start a new game. Before you start the new game I suggest you go to toeeroot/module/toee/save and delete those files. That way you can be sure the corrupt ones are gone.
    Missile type attacks cause the symptoms you got. It's kind of a random thing.

9. Rickenbacker

Thx wiz'.

No one knows the cause of this bug?
    Seems there're an endless supply of bugs associated w/ this game. Vanilla & the Mod.
    Most of the time it runs fine, but lord- when a bug comes up, you need a PhD in computers to fix it. It's easy for a newbie like myself to get all this patching business right.

For the record how *would* one "un-do" a patch? Just delete it?

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ooo, thats a confirm of the 'projectile bug near Rainbow Rock' - interesting.

11. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Patch2 is a essential part of the game. Patch3 is useless,don't use it. Patches can't be deleted. They put data all thru the game files. A new install fixes a lot things. It's usually best to do a new install.

12. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

I also came across the Rainbow Rock bug yesterday. As I had made the mistake of going Ironman before reading the post that advised against it I have instead made a copy of the Save Directory which I update when I finish a session. Anyway I tried this 5 times and it froze 3. I think the problem was that in the frozen games my first action was a missile attack.

13. Gaear

I think the projectile/rainbow rock problems are likely directly related to the hill gaint problem in Emridy Meadows and will be fixed in an upcoming release. Basically it is simply that having 'Jaroo's tree' (the gigantic one with the forest canopy leaves effect) on a map causes bizarre problems with combat mechanics for whatever reason. Removing it fixes the hill giant, and I bet it will fix these others.

14. Rickenbacker

So wait- straighten me out here. This problem is permanent until this upcoming release is put out?

15. Gaear

Well "permanent" would not be the right word ;), but it's unavoidable until it gets fixed, yes. Sorry.

Our Host!