ToEE FAQ and references

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sitra Achara, Jun 13, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Interesting. Tho i'm sure about some unicorn ring in a book (probably a different one), with similar charcteristics (for good aligned charcters), and something about healing.

Can we have something similar for ToEE? . Not the unicorn thing of course (tho it could have that description)

Greylan, what about the robe? I'm curious to know if it's the greater Temple robe. Hextor has a skull too as symbol, iirc.

2. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

I think, perhaps, they were supposed to be fire temple robes -- this is from the module regarding that door that leads nowhere in the game.

-------------------------

Behind the lengths of wooden faggots [bundle of sticks for kindling]
    is a small cupboard, set into the wall. Within it
    are two silk robes of bright crimson, with
    skulls embroidered in gold thread on the
    front and back. Each is cowled and lined
    with lavender silk.

------------------------

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Humm... i don't think they're fire robes, no... more likely they're valuable/salable clothes, or the greater temple robes (if that it's the description for them in the pnp ToEE). Or Iuz robes.

In any case, if there's more specific info like that in the module, then post it by all means! :)
    I was intending to do new clothes, matching the greyhawk setting (for example, dwarves usually use simplier, less ornated clothes), but i didn't have time to read the greyhawk gazeteer, which has the descriptions.

Consider the robes done for ToEE ;)

4. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

I'll be happy to post anything from the module that I can :D

And regarding the new clothes -- new clothes are awesome, I'm a big fan of your alternate brown robe!

5. Mesepp

Mesepp Member

Actually, I believe that you can kill Lareth, sell his stuff to the traders, trigger the assassin encounter, and use the note from Simgal to go driectly to the temple, bypassing Nulb entirely. I have no idea about the absolute timing involved, however.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

to things relating to lareth, if you group with him and go to anywhere where he voices concerns about his saftey and you let him run off, that will trigger his capture.

I thought that the requirement for the big 3 ambush was any non-evil party alignment.

7. Stohrm Knightforger

Stohrm Knightforger Dwarven Cleric

One other change you should make (while you're at it) is to make sure the location is outside the Moathouse via the cave tunnel entrance.

I was actually trying to avoid it once by sneaking out the secret door... Trust me, that was a Huge Mistake! I was stuck on the gang plank (as my characters couldn't get past one another) and we were picked off one-by-one via ranged attacks.

Totally unrealistic.; as that's the last place one would arrange an ambush.

However, going with the timed thing. You might want it to occur outside the tunnel right away, but outside the main entrance if a certain amount of time has elapsed (and not at all if they've slipped out the secret door, or perhaps the option to ambush the ambushees by sneaking out the secret door and coming up behind them waiting outside the main entrance).

Now, there's realism; although anticipating the ambush might require a mage to perform a clairivoyance spell or something. Maybe Lareth had a hand in the ambush and it could slip during the conversation (under the right conditions; especially if he was cowardly enough to join the group).

The possibilities are endless, naturally, so perhaps a poll or something to find out what the general consensus leans towards.

Stohrm

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry, but this one's not going to change anymore. I appreciate your input, but a phenomenal amount of effort has gone into this thing over the course of basically 2 - 3 years to get it where it is now, which is 'functioning well enough.' ;)

We found that if we limit the ambush to the tunnel only, parties can get away, go back to the tunnel later, and still get ambushed. That doesn't follow at all with the dialogue that is there (which also took a large effort to piece together). And that's just one example of it not working or the whole thing not making sense. I really don't want to start pondering the others again ... it has been an albatross that has dogged me endlessly.

I disagree that the secret entrance wouldn't make sense btw; if your party discovered it, why couldn't Turuko and Co. find it too? And the tactical weakness of the plank would only make it more attractive to the ambushees (although I never had that problem in testing).

More importantly, while this mod has always been called the 'Moathouse Ambush,' it's really not supposed to be an ambush at all. If you listen to the dialogue closely, you'll see that Turuko and Co. basically just happen upon you there after coming to look for you, and that it is not their specific intent to even kill you until they learn that you killed Lareth. They initially just want to scare you off so that you don't upset the applecart further. Thus, suitable locations for attack would not be a major factor in their considerations. It's supposed to moreso appear to be a random thing, and the fact that it can occur in different places only supports that impression. :)

9. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Instructions for uploading a save game:

Go to your ToEE/modules/ToEE/saves folder.
    From there, look up the save's name, and upload all the associated files. There should be 6 files, all with the same base name (slot####) but with different extensions.

You can put them in a zip file and upload it here if it's not too large (up to 5MB). If it is larger than that, you can try a file sharing site like Media Fire or Rapidshare.

example:

Code:
    slot0002[save name].gsi    (where [save name] is replaced with the name of your save game)
    slot0002.co8
    slot0002.tfaf
    slot0002.tfai
    slot0002l.jpg
    slot0002s.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  10. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

Great thread this one :)

Perhaps a how-to-get-to-this-unlockable-area section? like HB/Gnarley Woods/Verbo whatever? albeit in spoiler tags.

11. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

How did Lubash manage to *get into* the room if he's too big to fit through the door? That's a major fire hazard! He should contact OSHA.

[edit]
    P.S. I created a keyboard hotkey chart. You can find it >here<.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  12. Sitra Achara

Maybe he was born there? :)

That kind of bugs me too actually - especially the fact you can fire away at him with impunity (realistically he should be able to wriggle out of there somehow, or smash the door frame if need be). I've been thinking of slipping him a potion of reduce person (or creature?) for that purpose.

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Not OSHA - local Fire Department. Or maybe SPCA. ;)

14. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

You know, rats can fit through any hole as long as their heads fit. I guess they have big heads (though I've seen some BIG rats in the city).

15. Sitra Achara

Oh my, it seems I've hit the 25k character limit.

Is it possible to increase the size limit?

Failing that, is it possible to insert a post of mine directly below the original one?

If not, guess I'll have to reformat it is a TOC with links to individual posts, I guess.

Our Host!