Other 'modules' besides ToEE and KotB?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by RoyBatty, Aug 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Member

Hello, I'm new here.

ToEE is the best computer RPG experience I've had. I grew up loving pen & paper D&D, and the 'arcade' style of games like Diablo, Baldur's Gate, & Neverwinter just don't do much for me with that original D&D spirit like ToEE does.

I'm delighted to hear about the Keep on the Borderlands project.

So, I'm quite ignorant of the entire paradigm for modding this game... Are there any other stand-alone modules/adventures for ToEE, other than Keep? From scouring through this site it sounds like there are plenty of skewings and additions and alterations to the ToEE story itself, but since I've played through that world already that doesn't feel very interesting. I remember that Neverwinter 1 had tons of user-created stand-alone modules, and am wondering if ToEE works that way. I assume it does because of Keep, but are there any other projects or completed modules? I can't seem to find them, if there are, via searching this site or the Sorcerer's Palace, or via Google search. So I have no idea if they even exist.

Please direct me - any help is much appreciated. It's been a few years since I played ToEE and am excited to have more stories/adventures to enjoy.

Thanks for your time.

-RB

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Try the "Pre-Made Toffee Pro Mods" http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2325.

Follow the directions. They are easily installed and launched from the ToEE Front End (hence "Toffee"). They are a little buggy, so don't expect a fully finished product. But, a couple are definitely "different".

3. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Are Vicks & Wedge's and that other module (O's?) compatible with CMF.6? I noticed that KotB can affect ToEE in minor ways. Does installing those "void my warranty"?

Anyone care to gossip about how one becomes a pariah here? I'd like to avoid excommunication.

4. Basil the Timid

Does KotB now use the same Front End, or a separate one (which I read in that thread).

5. GuardianAngel82

I have ToEE, Patch2 and 5.0.0. Then put in the modules I'm interested in. You might want to play around with the voice and portraits pack. I don't use the same installation as 5.0.6 or KotB.

From what I've seen, Pariah-hood results from utterly exhausting the community's patience, then REALLY beginning to pile it on. I doubt you are in any danger no matter how blasphemous your ideas are (Subdue? Not murder and rob? Outrageous!) as you seem to recognize that others are not here only at your convenience.

6. Basil the Timid

I don't understand. Why don't you use the CMF's? Any idea how to correctly duplicate the Co8 module so I can keep one clean and soil the other with Sitra's combined mod? How many folders to duplicate?

7. GuardianAngel82

At the PROFOUND risk of talking over my own head, the Toffee modules and KotB are all at different levels of Co8's development. KotB seems to have branched off from the main line of modding almost 3 years ago. Hence some of its features are not "up to date". In general, many of the mods seem to be incompatible.

I have a patched(2) version of the game I store on a zip file. When I crater a game, or try a new mod, I just copy it and rename it. Notice I store it OFF of my computer. I presently have a 5.06, a KotB and a Toffee Mod version, with their own shortcuts, on my laptop. Each has its own name. This is NOT a very elegant solution, and probably won't work everywhere. So I'm not sure I can recommend it.

8. Basil the Timid

Can Front-end handle more than 2 modules? Data becomes backed up as data.ToEE, so where does a third data folder go - out the window?

So, is it conclusive that Front-end can't handle old mods together with CMF6?

What if I wanted a choice between vanilla, CMF6, and CMF6+Sitra's combined mod (which has a data folder and module folder)?

P.S. If I posted this elsewhere I apologize; I thought I made a posting at 5am my time but I have no idea where it went - if anywhere

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  9. GuardianAngel82

Try this:

Create the 5.0.6 mod. Quit. Restart frontend and deactivate the module. Copy the data.Co8-5.0.0 and the Co8-5.0.0 to a convenient location and rename them data.Co8-5.0.6 and Co8-5.0.6, respectively. (Or data.bob and bob)

Reactivate and finish applying SA's mod. Reinsert data.bob to the root and bob to the Modules file. 5.0.0 will be the SA mod and bob will be the 5.0.6.

You should now have 2 modules in the frontend besides ToEE: 5.0.0 and bob.

Deactivate one and activate the other to play. I don't know why. I think Gaear has a fix.

Trust me, I have no clue and I'm drunk. (I can't tell. The wall has carpet on it and I can't walk away from it. This has happened before.) Believe me, I'm not kidding about either.

I think you should try this and be prepared to fail catastrophically. Since you have come this far, clearly ToEE has made you her bitch. Failure, Death, even MODDING will hold no fear for you.

After you try this, message me from intensive care.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sheesh, Basil, think before you type! I realise this stuff can get complicated but you have just been linked to a thread named Premade 'Toffee' Pro Modules : that is, a bunch of modules that have specifically been released in a format for ease of use with Front End. You could install them all at once, then open Front End and you will have lots of modules to chose from. Inside, you would find

Data.ToEE
    Data.Co8 5.0.0
    Data.KotB
    Data.V&W
    Data.Liv_1.5.1
    Data.0rions_Fiasco
    Data.etc...

My advice? Co8 is built on Liv's, Vicks and Wedge is interesting but long since superseded, and 0rion's is buggy (among its other issues). Stick to Co8 5 and the KotB Demo, there's really nothing to be gained by playing earlier versions, any more than by playing ToEE with patch 1 instead of patch 2.

11. GuardianAngel82

Ted, if you can figure out what I posted (#9), will that creating an extra module by copying and renaming stunt work?

If it will work, I'm sure it's been done. If it won't, I'm sure it's obvious why.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, yeah, I guess that should work. Can't see why not.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The point is, this stuff has already been done for you (the player). Agetian made the front end program for the specific purpose of being able to play different modules without having to reinstall the game every time, and Allyx packaged the various mods found in the 'Premade ...' thread into game-ready form, so that all you have to do is extract them into your ToEE root directory and - BAM! - there they magically are, all ready to go through front end. It's crazy.

So ... there should be no need whatsoever for Average Joe player to fool around in his ToEE file structure, or to even look in there. All you've got to do is install the mods, fire up front end, select which module you want to play from the list, and go.

That said, I do acknowledge the need to create an additional module based on Co8 5.0.6 over which to install Sitra's mod for testing. So here are the steps to do this:

1. Launch front end and make sure that vanilla ToEE is the active module. (i.e., deactivate whichever other module may be active. Doing this makes vanilla active again, as it's the default module.)
    2. Launch Windows Explorer and navigate to your ToEE root directory. Inside you should see various folders, including 'data.Co8-5.0.0,' 'data.KotB,' (depending on which modules you have installed) and just plain 'data.' Just plain 'data' is what whatever the active module is called. Being as you made vanilla active in step 1, vanilla is now just plain 'data.' (When vanilla is deactivated, it becomes 'data.ToEE.')
    3. Right-click on data.Co8-5.0.0 and select 'copy' from the drop-down menu.
    4. Left click once on the master 'Temple of Elemental Evil' folder in the left-hand pane of Windows Explorer. In the right-hand pane of Windows Explorer, right click and select 'paste' from the drop-down menu. A folder called 'Copy of data.Co8-5.0.0' will appear amongst the other 'data' folders there. (This may take a minute or two, so be patient.)
    5. Right click 'Copy of data.Co8-5.0.0' and select rename from the drop-down menu. Type in 'data.Co8-5.0.0-Sitra.'
    6. Navigate to your 'modules' folder in the ToEE root directory. (The 'modules' folder is actually right next to all the 'data' folders.) Inside you will see subfolders like 'Co8-5.0.0' and 'KotB.' None of them say data or anything like that, and unlike data folders, these names never change when you switch modules.
    7. Right-click on Co8-5.0.0 and select 'copy' from the drop-down menu.
    8. Left click once on the 'modules' folder in the left-hand pane of Windows Explorer. In the right-hand pane of Windows Explorer, right click and select 'paste' from the drop-down menu. A folder called 'Copy of Co8-5.0.0' will shortly appear.
    9. Right click on 'Copy of Co8-5.0.0' and select rename from the drop down menu. Type in 'Co8-5.0.0-Sitra.'
    10. Launch front end. You will now see an extra module in the list called 'Co8-5.0.0-Sitra.' Click that module to activate it and launch the game.
    11. After the game starts, exit the game. This makes 'Co8-5.0.0-Sitra' the active module.
    12. Download Sitra's traders and reactive temple .rar archive.
    13. Open it with WinRAR, and extract it's contents to your ToEE root directory, overwriting files when/if prompted.
    You now have a separate working installation and testing environment for Sitra's mod(s).

14. Basil the Timid

GA, much appreciation for the step by step. I did not deactivate then activate; however, I did make backup copies.

Just curious - what happens if you don't deactivate first (when just playing, after everything is setup nicely)? This simple step can be easily forgotten.

@Ted: You quoted me out of context. I was confused about GA's personal and complicated solution and the rationale behind it. This made me afraid to install (but I did d/l and therefore visited the Pre-made modules). I also have read that KotB has a different Front-end.

I do get confused by the unbelievable quantity of information here: GUILTY.

Edit: Gaear, much appreciation for the idiot-proof installation instructions. This post and your post wee being typed simultaneously.

Ted: Thank you for your commentary regarding the different modules. The whole Orion-pariah thing (which I know nothing about) for some reason makes me curious about his mod. But I have bigger fish to fry for quite some time to come.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  15. GuardianAngel82

Thanks for intervening, Gaear.

So, my suggestion is valid. But, I did not not know to do your step 4. I'm running Vista and have to figure out how to make my machine perform simple tasks every time I do something new. Apparently, working with files without my OS's permission does not fit in with Holy Billy's vision of what I am allowed to do. Rage Against the Machine!

Our Host!