Few Bugs i've found...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ravenot, Jun 11, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

Didn't see any main thread for these so i'm just gonna throw 'em out here... Few of these i've brought up in a previous post in Liv's thread, but i'm not sure if they're specific to Liv's mod or not. Most likely just regular bugs in the game.

I'm running ToEE with the first two patches, Mobius's patch, and Liv's 1.5 mod.

1) In the Welcome Wench tavern in Hommlet, on the bar in front of the barkeep is an open book that you can highlight. If you click on it, you crash to desktop.

2) Strange combat situation involving bugged item, bugged spell, or both.

Fighter is wearing Lareth's ring of Freedom of Movement.
    Druid casts "Spike Growth" over an adjacent area. (damage and slow effect to all moving through AoE)
    Fighter runs INTO spike growth and fails his save, taking friendly fire damage.
    Druid dispells spike growth.
    Fighter takes a full round move action, and moves only 10 feet. (IE slowed)

Now... shouldn't the ring prevent the slowing effect, regardless if the fighter made his save or not? And additionally, shouldn't ALL creatures and PC's slowed by the spell return to normal movement once the spell is dispelled?

(edited: I was wrong about one of the bugs. :p)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  2. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

And you are also using more than 5 PCs patch :)

The book opens Party pool window, where you can create/add/remove PCs to and from your party. Trying to use it with more than 5 PCs in party crashes the game because of memory addressing problems when it tries to create/remove those clickable highlights in party bar.

3. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

You know, i completely forgot I was using that patch :p That's twice i've spaced it today. I'm just not with it.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. It's just been over a year since i played the game in it's original form, i completly forgot thats what that book was for (and thusly that it was a danger because of my patch :p)

Yeah. Wasn't it Jeff Foxworthy who said it best, "Here's your sign."?

Yep.

*adjusts his sign*

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Jeff does the "You might be a redneck if..." schtick. His buddy Bill Engvall is the one giving out signs.
    :no:
    What I really hate are the @$$holes going around correcting everybody...

5. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

*flails*

I just can't win today. :jerkin:

6. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

I'll try to avoid it in the future, just to make You happy...

7. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

I'm guessing that Lord Spike was joking being that his posted started with:

Thereby instigating that which in his next breath he decried.

8. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

according to the SRD:

In the description for both spike growth and spike stones:
    "Any creature that takes damage from this spell must also succeed on a Reflex save or suffer injuries to its feet and legs that slow its land speed by one-half. This speed penalty lasts for 24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell (which also restores lost hit points). Another character can remove the penalty by taking 10 minutes to dress the injuries and succeeding on a Heal check against the spell’s save DC"

edit: as the slowing is a result of injury to the feet by real(albeit magically conjured) spikes and not simply a result of being magically/physically slowed or impeded.... (end edit) The effect is correct and not the result of a bug, IMHO. (The world is full of them....)

Darmagon

9. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

in an attempt....

to anticipate the obvious argument, ie. that freedom of movement is freedom of movement pure and simple, let me dig back (way back) into my philosophy 101 bag of tricks and a offer an argument ad infinitum. My argument is that being slowed due to physical injury is different from being slowed by physical or magical means that don't otherwise cause physical injury. To take the argument to an extreme: consider a character with no legs ( I won't take it one step (okay, pun is intended) further and remove his arms and dress him in black plate with a huge black helmet because with no arms how is he supposed to properly wear a ring?) wearing a ring of freedom of movement. The ring will not allow him to overcome his limited ability to move due to physical injury. It will ,however, allow him to move normally (for him) when physically or magically impeded (say being entangled in a strand of creeper), barring further movement disabling physical injury. So the effect of the spell is still correct, IMHO.
    (Chock full, filled absolutely end to end. Packed like sardines in a tin, even. And before it is even necessary :evilgrin: .)

Darmagon

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I was indeed referring to myself, as a sort of a way to seem less like a jerk for trying to correct the poor hapless fellow in the first place. Actually, all I really tried to do was answer his question "Wasn't it so-and-so who said..." in a self effacing manner. Foxworthy has used Engvall's routine on at least one occasion...directed at Engvall himself, I think, so maybe it was Foxworthy who said it best after all.

Apologies for the confusion...

<turns off @$$hole switch>

11. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

Hehe, no worries Spike, i got what you were saying :)

And Darmagon, I have to say I agree with you. I don't have the ToEE manual (having only the bargain bin copy) and my D&D books are all packed away, so i didn't have the opportunity to read over the spell description. I had assumed Spike Growth impeded in the same manner as Entangle, that vines wrapped around the legs, ect, and that the damage was just from the thorns ripping through your legs.

Bieng slowed because you have dozens of big ol' thorns lodged in the bottom of your FOOT is a different matter. I have to agree on that one. I would put it on the same level as the ring of Freedom of Movement doing nothing against caltrops.

12. SleepyJay

SleepyJay Member

Um... Could we go back to this issue about the Spike Growth?

My poor Dwarf Barbarian has bad feet due to the situation described
    above. The spell description says a Heal Check will cure him. But, I've
    tried and it doesn't. It also says any Cure Spell that heals HP will fix it,
    too. Still, I get no change.

Is my Barbarian crippled forever?

I'm using ... uh... Co8 and temple and humble and Official 1,2,3.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
Our Host!