Trouble with Gamersgate Anthology Installation

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Anthropoid, Jan 4, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Established Member

Whoo hoo! I seem to have got it to run!

This thread seems to be talking about a similar problem although I'm using Win 7 not 8.

What I did and now it is working:

1. I opened up my TFE-X shortcut properties and reset the compatibility for all users to be Win XP SP3

2. I made sure that all users had full control (pretty sure it was already like that by default)

3. I ran TFE-X and changed the settings a bit (options and the like for party size, etc.) main thing being I ENABLED intro.

When I ran the ToEE.exe shortcut, game launched, I saw the unique Co8 loading screen where it shows the "loading sectors" bar at the bottom with the ToEE image. No sound or music.

Then it went straight into the main screen (with the ToEE stainglass windows panning by in the background). My cursor was initially frozen. I kept clicking Esc and space (and hearing a little *bing* noise sometimes). After maybe a minute, two minutes tops, my cursor started moving.

I am no computer whiz but it seems to me that something between Win 7 and the way the intro videos are handled is fighting?

Anyway, this seems to be a somewhat similar problem to that others are having so I'm happy to submit logs, specs on this rig or whatever I can do to help . Maybe nothing can be changed in the code, but if the nature of the problem(s) can be pinned down then maybe consistent workarounds can be established for Win 7 or Win 8 users?

Anyway . . . I am FINALLY !! off to enjoy me some Co8 new content!! :)

LOL, I thought I'd try a pseudo-ironman rollup since none of my pregens from my previous install are usable.

My first roll I get a 17/6/18/11/9/12 so I distribute them as:

S 12
    D 17
    C 11
    I 18
    W 9
    Ch 6

Figure this person will be a CN human rogue maybe get into some wizardry. Then I spotted that awesome bearded lady portrait, yep! Name is Beatrice Swinscombe :)

2. Anthropoid

Sadly my whoo-hoo moment seems to have been premature.

I can get the game to boot up (launching with either the launcher or the game shortcut) and create characters. But when I try to Begin Adventure, game crashes to desktop :(

ADDIT: this problem with the crashing on Begin Adventure occurs in Windowed mode too.

Here is my TFE-X log, though I don't think that will show anything as the crash happens well after the game itself has properly booted up.

My Dxdiag, if that is of any use. Be happy to provide any other logs or info if there is any hope of solving this.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Have you looked at all the tips in The Circle of Eight Modpack Explained thread? See 'Troubleshooting,' 'Successful Gaming,' and 'Known Isues' specifically. Also, you seem to be homebrewing again ... you should not attempt alternative means of launching the game with Co8 and the front end installed.

Anyway I'm thinking scaling at this point (usually happens at video launches) or still the ever-present antivirus threat.

4. Anthropoid

Thank you Gaer! I'll give a try at just plain turning off my Antivirus and also have a look at that thread you link to.

After admining this site for 7 years of this mod you must be nearly exhausted from helping throuble shoot problems like this :)

Couple questions just to clarify:

1. Should I launch with TFE-X only?

2. When you say "scaling" does that mean one of those settings I can change in the properties window for the TFE-X shortcut?

Ah, I think I see what you are talking about. I'll see if I can figure out how to change those settings on my video card

I'm guessing this is what I was needing to change?

Does that seem right? Guess I'll see in a second here if it runs :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. Anthropoid

Turning off Charter Security Suite and making the above screen capped settings on my Nvidia control panel did not solve the problem.

However, a bit more info that I just realized. The error crash screen offers some details.

Is it not interesting that the temple.dll is the fault module?

I saw in the guide that I should NOT install Moebius' temple.dll fix or something to that effect.

I of course, did not install such a thing. This is a fresh install of the game and a fresh install of the 8.0.0 version of the mod. I did not deviate from the installation instructions at all (apart from trying to launch the game from the game .exe shortcut, which you already caught me on. . . . honestly didn't get that that was a no-no from the FAQ).

Is there a patch that I need to install maybe?

6. Gaear

Do you have intros enabled or disabled atm? Try whichever one it isn't.

7. Anthropoid

ADDIT: I've quadruple checked it both with intro videos Enabled and Disabled and it doesn't make much difference. CTDs either way, though the Disabled doesn't seem to stick in the crash window and force me to use Task Manager to turn off ToEE.

Since this really seems to be more of a problem with my video card, I tarted a thread over at the Windows Seven Forums about this. Hopefully those gurus will be able to get me going.

8. Gaear

My nVidia control panel looks like this:

nvid.jpg

I'm on an older XP system though.

9. Anthropoid

I actually do miss XP. I think I got an old XP machine around here I could fire up and see if I can play the dang mod on that :)

Thanks for all your help Gaear.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The nVidia control panel is the same for all OS's, at least as far as I have seen.

Unless your xp rig, Gaear, can run 3D and SLI.

I've always used nVidia by choice and have changed my OS almost every time I update my PC.

11. Anthropoid

Latest update on my saga . . . uninstalled my GOG copy of the game. Reinstalled . . . now I get a very similar crash with the vanilla game!

This is making me think the problem is with something on my machine (codec, driver, something). Anyway, since I'm now getting a crash with the vanilla ToEE, I sent a help ticket to Good Old Games. Maybe one of their IT folks will be able to help me sort things out.

12. Gaear

Good luck. Let us know how that goes - could be useful info in general.

13. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Try reading this. It might address your unresponsive mouse problem.

Also, download this prefetch thingy*, you might want to delete/examine the prefetch file of ToEE. That's all I can share atm. ;)

14. Anthropoid

An update to bring closure to this thread. The machine on which my old problems occurred is now retired (harddrive was damaged during a move) and I cannot recall if I ever got Co8 to work on that machine or not.

However, I have just now installed my GOG copy of ToEE on a 'new' machine (actually an old crappy laptop that I'm using till my hot new Xidax gaming rig is delivered by UPS). I launched the vanilla just to make sure it was working.

I followed the directions for installing Co8 exactly, and Voila! It works! :)

One point of note: I got something like the 'unresponsive mouse' issue I had previously. All I did was figgle the Windows key and/or Left-Alt key a bit. This caused the icons my taskbar to flicker in and out a bit and *poof* the mouse became active in game.

So, everything worked out in the end :)

Our Host!