Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Just got the Robin the Hood RE - was great fun. 6 lv13 PCs. First unpleasantly surprised to see that the all were above my cleric's CL - so Holy Word was completely useless. Then was pleasantly surprised by just how effective the Mind Fog + Greater Command combo is. Only the cleric saved - and 13 rounds was a plenty of time to finish off the rest of the group! Hehe.

A bit disappointed that the fight is inevitable though - one would think chaotic parties could start a talk or something. Or weak parties could strip down and move on, for that matter...

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Odd bug with the ending: I killed Zuggy, got the cinematic but not the ending slides (as intended, I presume). Now everything works fine, except if I try to enter the Hommlet Guard Tower - regardless of whether I use the sign or the door - it triggers the ending slides. Killed her after destroying the skull if that makes a difference. Version 7.0 NC.

EDIT: Also, there seems to be a bug with Mass Charm Monster, as the charmed critters don't uncharm upon attack unlike the regular Charm.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Heh, figured this out and it was actually ToEE doing what it's supposed to do for a change. When you destroy the skull via Pishella, you set a timer for three days to kill Z. If you don't do it in that time, the game is supposed to end. Of course, due to ToEE's goofy timed event system where timed events will only fire if you go back to the map where they were set, probably almost nobody ever had this happen. (Between that and the fact that I doubt most players couldn't get it done in time.) So now, with parties still running around after Z's death, the timed event suddenly becomes a factor again. It's set by Pishella in the tower, so that's why it happens there.

So it's now fixed by making the end script fire dependent on if Z is not banished and not dead. We should probably add the whole thing to the new timed event routine too.

4. shiffd

shiffd Member

Ok i thought i saw something about this but this thread got long...
    I want to ask about alternatives (if there are any) to the quarry quest...
    Since NC 7 has several different quests within, mabye seperate threads for the different quests would be good? or will teh spoilers be added to tehgame guide for those that like looking through alternate solutions than the one they took etc. (assuming tehre are any, my dialogue was faily limmited)...

Cuz it seems by teh weapons the Dwarf is good and was looking a way to not kill a good dwarf. something i messed up along the way and didn'T see teh solution, my dialogue only lets me attack him (i choose war I think is the text)

5. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

When you report to the church of pelor that the Hextor priests asked you to assassinate their canon, you can only end the conversation with the words "a reward would be nice", to which you receive no answer. Also I'm currently playing a do-gooder-party which never really asks for rewards since they just like to see people happy.

6. Thanlok

Thanlok Member

still can't get to Verbobonc. I have tried everything listed and all suggestions. I love the mod work though. The additional content I could get to was awesoem. THanks for the help folks and thanks to those who worked so hard on this mod! Great job!

7. Gaear

You specifically tried re-installing the entire game to a different directory other than Program Files, and then reinstalling and activating the modpack for that installation?

What OS are you on?

8. Thanlok

Thanlok Member

I am on windows 7. I have it installed on my desktop, not in program files, I am running version 7.0 NC. I have opened the shift~ and entered game.areas[14] = 1. I have been given access to every other part of your mod but the Verbobonc part. I have cleared them all out. It is just wierd.

9. Gaear

Please tell me the date of the file temple.dll in your ToEE root directory.

10. Thanlok

Thanlok Member

the date listed beside temple.dll in my root directory is 29/03/2012 11:20 PM

11. Thanlok

Thanlok Member

ok, uninstalled and re-installed. I did shift~ to bring up the console on a brand new game. Hadn't done anything yet. I typed in game.areas[14] = 1 and it added the rear entrance to the moathouse to my map. Now I am really confused..........lol

12. Thanlok

Thanlok Member

adn now I can't get the level cap to let me put a character past level 10....oh well

13. Gaear

You don't need to 'get' the level cap to do that; it's set to level 20 by default, and you activate the level cap to set it to less than 20. Still, if you're having trouble activating the level cap function at all, that seems to further speak to problems with your temple.dll file.

The date on yours is basically current btw due to having made such changes through TFE-X, which updates temple.dll. In order to see if you're using the correct one I'd have to know what the date of it is upon installation, before you changed any settings via TFE-X.

Can you go to your ToEE/modules/ToEE/mes folder, open the file gamearea.mes, copy the contents (it's a short file), and paste them here? It should like like this:

Code:
    {0}{0, 0, 0, 0 /A Place Unimportant/ }
    {1}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Hommlet/HOMMLET}
    {2}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Moathouse/MOATHOUSE}
    {3}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Nulb/NULB}
    {4}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Temple of Elemental Evil/TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL}
    {5}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Emridy Meadows/EMRIDY MEADOWS}
    {6}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Imeryds Run/IMERYDS RUN}
    {7}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Welkwood Bog/WELKWOOD BOG}
    {8}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Moathouse Cave Exit/MOATHOUSE CAVE EXIT}
    {9}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Hickory Branch/HICKORY BRANCH}
    {10}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Deklo Grove/DEKLO GROVE}
    {11}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Burnt Farmhouse/BURNT FARMHOUSE}
    {12}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Cave Lair/CAVE LAIR}
    {13}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Reserved/Hardcoded stuff - do not touch.}
    {14}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Verbobonc/VERBOBONC}
    {15}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Verbobonc Cave Exit/VERBOBONC CAVE EXIT}
    {16}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Hommlet Quarry/HOMMLET QUARRY}
    {17}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Unused 2/Enter Description Here.}
    {18}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Unused 3/Enter Description Here.}
    {19}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Unused 4/Enter Description Here.}

14. Thanlok

Thanlok Member

here is what you were asking for

//
    // Area -- List of areas
    // X-Coord, Y-Coord /Name /Description./Radius:<#>
    //
    // Coords are on the main world-map. Radius is detection radius (in sectors),
    // in other words, the # of sectors that the player must pass near it on the
    // WorldMap to make it visible if it isn't already known; default value is 5.
    //

{0}{0, 0, 0, 0 /A Place Unimportant/ }
    {1}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Hommlet/HOMMLET}
    {2}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Moathouse/MOATHOUSE}
    {3}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Nulb/NULB}
    {4}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Temple of Elemental Evil/TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL}
    {5}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Emridy Meadows/EMRIDY MEADOWS}
    {6}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Imeryds Run/IMERYDS RUN}
    {7}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Welkwood Bog/WELKWOOD BOG}
    {8}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Moathouse Cave Exit/MOATHOUSE CAVE EXIT}
    {9}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Hickory Branch/HICKORY BRANCH}
    {10}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Deklo Grove/DEKLO GROVE}
    {11}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Burnt Farmhouse/BURNT FARMHOUSE}
    {12}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Cave Lair/CAVE LAIR}
    {13}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Reserved/Hardcoded stuff - do not touch.}
    {14}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Verbobonc/VERBOBONC}
    {15}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Verbobonc Cave Exit/VERBOBONC CAVE EXIT}
    {16}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Hommlet Quarry/HOMMLET QUARRY}
    {17}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Unused 2/Enter Description Here.}
    {18}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Unused 3/Enter Description Here.}
    {19}{0, 0, 0, 0 /Unused 4/Enter Description Here.}

15. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

No idea if it was there already in the original game - it's been soooo long ago since I played vanilla- but the (new?) combat music at - Imredy's Run? The place with the king frog and the giant gar- is darn awesome :D

Our Host!