Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hm, I have an idea: did you by chance run into that unexplained group of Hextorites on the ogre cave exterior map and fight them? The old man belongs to the Hextor faction, so he would be pissed at you if you killed them.

You can upload to mediafire.com - should be pretty self explanatory. Please include all 6 save files, thanks.

2. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Will do, thanks Geaer.

Only thing I had that looked like the Ogre cave exterior was was the standard adult white dragon encounter. That exterior did appear on my World Map list right underneath Passage to Verbbonc just after the dragon encounter. Appeared as an additional Verbbonc Cave something or other. No Orc Cave appeared on the actual map. Never noticed that extra Verbbonc Cave world map list destination before if it's a normal occurence.

Went back and talked to guards at Verb arrival point after leaving for Nulb and coming back. Normal May I Help You interaction on dialong screen, nothing unusual and no automatically initiated dialog. I've been wandering around the Faerun calling "here lichy lichy" using old saves, no joy.

Save upload forthcoming, probably late tonight. Dueling pistols are notoriously inaccurate, so my laptop survied. So far.

Rolling up an neutral evil party as we speak to put myself back on semi-familiar turf if first playthrough is lost.

edit: -and absolutely no clashes with Hextorites other than Monster Mash. They all disappeared after they were ratted out. Apologies, I do tend to run on once I get started.

3. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

mediafire upload link

This save had the old man dead on the floor when saved. Duplicated last night several times before wall-o-text post.

Now, I cannot recreate when reloading file or using previous saves. Can get WotGS to be active in the logbook and get Robin RE if I wander around long enough. I think the RH encounter has already occured in this one. Araikas will not talk or respond in any way. Other chracters still respond to dialog about upcoming Hextor invasion. I have a Monster Mash aquired but not completed save, I think I'll go back and try that to see if I can get the Gremlich to activate.

4. Gaear

I'll grab that later on, thanks.

The new worldmap location (Verbo dragon cave) is by design.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hmmmm, I've killed Zuggy and now none of the transitions, (doors/stairs) seem to work.

So I teleported back to Hommlette and can't enter any buildings there either, any ideas.

6. Gaear

Okay ze, as regards the Gremlich problems, it seems two separate bugs conspired in admirable unified fashion to screw that up. You can fix it easily enough on your end though by inputting this code into the console:

Code:
    game.global_flags[984] = 0
    The old man was not in the town elder's place in your save, but chano reported success with his aggro issues by installing the mini fix I posted in the other thread. I would try that.

I see also that you haven't gotten anywhere with Darlia, and I have no idea why that is. The bluff check on the initial encounter is only >= 10.

Lastly, never ever ever again upload a file to mediafire no matter what I say. I've been uploading stuff there for quite a while but never downloading stuff and now I see who they punish for being free. I almost 'rage quit' before even getting your save files. :blegh: ;)

@sirchet, I fear the doors/stairs game death bug. :tears:

7. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

EDIT: game.global_flags[984] = 0
    Worked perfectly for instigating Gremlich encounter in my bugged condition. Arrival guards in Verb initiated dialog (advice I immediately followed). Got vid from Mona and everything. Wheeeee!

Down loaded fix previously mentioned in Spoiler thread in which chano mentioned the exact same problem I had with the 'old man'. Link and file labeled as Co8 v7 patch, 13 kb .rar file. Downloaded to separate directory, and ran. Everything in it was 7-zip and 7-related (already installed on my machine). Could not find any files that looked like they belonged in a ToEE directory. ???

Link to referenced post in "Spoiler Request" thread -->> http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=111285&postcount=14

EDIT 2: Dowloaded and installed Attatched File fix in post linked above into root Temple of Elemental Evil directory. Caused inability to load game from ToEE Front End-X. Gave not responding error after a few seconds of flashy black screen with Windows 7 giving only an option to close the program. Didn't make it to 7.0 load screen. Downloaded attatched file fix 3 times, just creates same size file with a (1) or (2) attached to filename in downloads. Looks, smells and tastes like the 7-Zip program v9.22 already included on this computer as part its orignally installed programs. The download included a handy dandy uninstall file for 7-Zip and executing this file the removed this unpacked .rar download from ToEE root dir. Once removed, ToEE v7.0NC works properly again, except for unexplainably hostile old man.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. sirchet

So, I can just go from a load before I killed Zuggy you think, when doors were still working?

Gonna try it and report back. ;)

On another note, I've been using DivShare for a number of years and it's free and no hassles for the downloading person.

Click on the yellow word to check it out.

9. Gaear

It should contain the ToEE data and modules directories, and you just copy or extract those over to your root directory. You might try just opening it from the link (rather than saving it to your computer), and ten when it opens, manually copy the files to your root. If you still don't see anything, you might want to download WinRAR. (It's free.)

I hope so, but that bug is known for screwing your game permanently. :( Good luck.

And thanks for the link.

10. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Just finished the Revenge fight, and my Pally is happy to report the Target of Revenge rep was replaced by Purveyor of Swift Justice. :clap:

11. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Opening instead of downloading just installs another copy of v9.22beta 7-zip wherever specified.

Downloaded WinRAR as suggested above.

Wait, I've seen this movie before when using Vista, so-->>:
    Long story short. Un-rared file using WinRAR in my user download directory with no issues, lots of files that seem to pertain to old man issue. Manually merged with data and modules directories in ToEE root. Appears successful. Will report if the 'old man' doesn't behave like Zuggy's old woman (my expectations).

Once again, thanks for the point in the right direction.

12. Gaear

Sure thing.

That sounds eerily similar to what Mediafire was trying to do to me. "Do you want to download this file that you said you wanted to download? Right on, here's an executable for installing the Mediafire toolbar instead!" (i.e. I think maybe 7 zip wasn't actually doing its job and was instead trying to sell you 7 zip "pro" or something. :blegh:)

(There's always a "pro" version - we should sell Co8 7.0.0 NC "Pro" for $59.95 and have it feature an installer that actually installs the mod. Then the free/loser version could just install a utility toolbar for IE that had co8.org pre-entered as a favorite/bookmark or something. I'm sure people would love that.)

13. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Great stuff Gaear, fix worked perfectly, no issues whatsoever. Completed WotGS defense quest. Moving on in search of an old PnP book I still have in my attic (Dieties and Demigods).

14. teh_beard

teh_beard Member

As it turns out when you summon Mordenkainen's Sword you can actually take the sword from Sword-Wielding Entety.
    So. 4d6 +<insane enchantment> Two-Hander which you can upgrade further? It needs to be fixed.
    Til then... YES PLEASE!

15. sirchet

OK, loaded a save from before the transitions stopped working and everything was going fine until the inevitable happened, as I was forewarned, my game is acting really wonky, (that's the technical term for it I believe) sooooo ... I get to start over again.

I think I'm going to re-activate the module again just for GP.

Woohoooh! Gonna try out a different team concept this time.

EDIT: On a side note, please please oh please don't tell me King Battlehammer's first name is Bruenor ... a dwarf king with a duel-weilding dark elf ... Oh the horror! Have my most favorite heroes turned evil?

Just in case someone doesn't know who Bruenor Battlehammer is. Just click on the yellow name. ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
Our Host!