Rules Lawyers and ToEE Gurus, Volume 5

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, May 17, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey everybody: I'm going to post here, in six successive threads, surviving bugs from the original Atari forums ToEE buglist. What I would like is this:

1. Rules Lawyers: offer modern opinions on whether or not these things are actually bugs or not.

2. ToEE Gurus: re-verify that these bugs still do indeed exist in the game.
    (Apparently there have been some undocumented fixes over the years that may have eliminated some of these.)

I'd like to fix as many of these as we can, within reason, though many (if not most) will be unfixable due to being core engine related. And some may have been just plain misunderstood and/or misreported. But proper documentation is still good, nonetheless.

There were nearly 600 documented bugs in this list over the years. Each thread will contain a block of 100 so that the threads don't get out of control. Also, only surviving bugs will be reprinted, so that means that each list will contain significantly fewer than 100 bugs.

The indicated status of the bugs appearing here may be 'confirmed' or 'unconfirmed,' but I would like you to confirm both types regardless.

Thanks for your help. :)

==================================================

BUGS 401 - 500 | 52 bugs

Unconfirmed
    If you have Cavanaugh in your party as an NPC and at any time he is killed in battle, any pc paladins will become fallen.

Confirmed
    My halfling druid was not proficient in the "small quarterstaff" I bought off the smith in holmlet, but my human druid was.

Confirmed
    Demonic allies summon demons not on your side.

Confirmed
    Magic items and armor can erratically be rendered effective in animal form by going to the world map and then back to area map.

Confirmed
    Rumor pages don't scroll.

Confirmed
    If several monsters go as a group prior to one of your PCs, your PC will lose all their action time for no apparent reason. **Clarification: disabling concurrent turns appears to resolve the bug in all known cases.

Confirmed
    Potion of haste does not work.

Confirmed
    Protection from evil effect prevents casting bless on PCs.

Confirmed
    Healing summoned demons makes them hostile.

Confirmed
    Occasionally after loading a savegame, one of my characters is frozen in place and won't move. Clicking a navigation icon to a new area solves the problem. (workaround exists - make character sneak and then stop sneaking.)

Confirmed
    'Too many zero level spells' bug not fixing saved games of sorcerors with this problem. **Clarification: this bug is caused by trying to switch a level 0 spell for another one. The old level 0 spell should have been cancelled/unlearned but it isn't and therefore you get a new level 0 spell for free, finally resulting in 1 excess slot to be filled as are just enough level 0 spells for Sorcs.

Confirmed
    Saving during a fight gives up the turn of the character currently active. **Clarification: this occurs because when you press the Return/Enter key to save a game, that keystroke apparently is carried on to the fight. Pressing Enter for a particular character makes him/her end the turn. If you reload the save you just made, you'll see that everything is as it should be and the character didn't really give up the turn afetr all

Confirmed
    Invisibility effects via spell or ring, when going to a new area, it loses its "Fade" effect even though the creature is still invisible. The fade effect for the ring of invisibility stopped working when changing maps by going through door icons, but stayed when using the world map (tested in hommlet). Invisibility cast with a wizard was fine. The description for the ring reads "A ring of invisibility grants the wearer invisibility, as per the spell." However the ring has no duration and creates no tab above the character portrait.

Confirmed
    Druids: animal familiars wont be named. They'll always be called the base animal even if you give them a name. They DO show up when selected.

Confirmed
    Necklace of Adaption should stop stinking cloud effects but character with it on was still nauseated.

Confirmed
    HOT KEYS: Hot-Key when assigned to OPEN lock does not work on doors. It still works on chests.

Confirmed
    When you come across a set of double doors that are both locked, if you unlock one and move through it the rest of the party will get caught on the locked door even though they could walk around it through the open one.

Confirmed
    The "HAND" icon that appears when a door is open/closable does not always appear when the mouse is over a usable door. Clicking will work even though the icon is still the normal arrow.

Confirmed
    AI: Umberhulks confusion ability seems to be like a fireball. The point they activate it at effects all people in range even ones the hulks cant see. A hulk's confusion ability only works when somebody actually looks at them. It's a semi-gaze attack. If you're blind or cant see them (like they're invisible), they shouldnt be able to confuse you. Also, umberhulks seem to activate the "ability" for about 3 rounds whether or not they're in melee or getting chopped up and don't attack. I thought the effect was in ADDITION to their melee attacks and only really worked the first time you saw the particular creature.

Confirmed
    When a player is affected by ray of enfeeblement and it runs out, it wont recalculate your encumberance till you move an item in your inventory.

Unconfirmed
    Invisibility only stops creatures seeing you , not hearing you... creatures should get listen checks.

Confirmed
    Sometimes multiple enemies can occupy the same space when moving simultaneously. Also happens with PC and NPC sometimes.

Confirmed
    Crafting wands of stoneskin does not charge properly for the material component cost (should be # of charges x spell cost).

Confirmed
    CTD fighting balor much of the time.

Unconfirmed
    Paladin smite should not be a full round action or require you to right click on the target first.

Confirmed
    If an animal companion is killed and immediately resurrected, it is no longer a member of the party and it must be dismissed

Unconfirmed
    The woodcutters quest in hommlet can be completed by just telling him that you killed the spiders, even if you haven't.

Co8 Specific (whatever that means)
    Wizards don't get all their bonus spells known at 1st level. Wizards are supposed to begin play with all 0 level spells (except from prohibited schools if specializing) and three 1st level spells, plus one additional 1st level spell for each point in INT bonus the wizard has. The game is granting one less spell at 1st level when the wizard has a bonus INT modifier.

Confirmed
    Detection spells and abilities have been disabled by the second patch.

Confirmed
    Vampiric touch does 1-6 + the level's caster instead of 1-6 x the level's caster. Does not work as other touch based spells and requires the caster target self.

Confirmed
    When NPCs in the first slot, quest log never gets updated regarding completed quests etc. until a player character is in the first slot.

Confirmed
    When Balor uses fear, all of my characters get the fear icon and fear affect around them, even though some of them sometimes can act normally, even when close to the Balor.

Confirmed
    When Balor charms one of my party members, the Balor and efreet still attack him.

Confirmed
    When I expend the protection on Falrinth's Stoneskin, his Minor Globe collapses as well, even though its effect is still active.

Unconfirmed
    Extreme load lag the first time Iuz' floor symbol in level 4 of the temple is displayed (this didn't happen the second time I took a new party through, although there was some significant load lag as I approached Hedrack's temple room).

Confirmed
    Mouse lag during combat when mouse pointer moves to a difficult or impossible to get to position.

Unconfirmed
    Sometimes spells simply don't go off, as if they were affected by magic resistance.

Confirmed
    When an action can't be performed due to range it is simply unavailable - does not show that it is out of range or whatever.

Unconfirmed
    On a reloaded save on level 4, a lone ogre shaman appeared in our room and was not in the room where we lost the battle with him before the reload.

Confirmed
    At times, creature or object selection is difficult because of the the mouse pointer also being on a door, corpse or party member. Coup de gracing is at times especially difficult because of this, especially in large battles. It seems the mouse criteria for selection isn't unified. Sometimes you can target a creature at its feet, but you can target a party member at their shoulders, so if a character is graphically in the way of a helpless creature, you can't select the creature.

Confirmed
    Sometimes a creature is taken down to a status of (null) when they reach 0 hit points. When it comes to be its turn in battle, it does nothing, and its turn doesn't end, so the battle can't end. This only happened once, I figured the two were related (being at null and not acting in combat).

Confirmed
    Spike Stones cause repeated CTD's while creatures are walking across them, too often to want to depend on the spell.

Confirmed
    Touch attacks should be able to cast, move, and attack all in the same round. This is an exception to the normal move/attack rules, as cited on P140/141 od the PHB.

Unconfirmed
    Bastard swords are not used twohanded when the offhand is free and the character has exotic weapon proficiency: bastard sword.

Unconfirmed
    Zuggtmoy not immune to the ghoul touch spell.

Confirmed
    Victims always paralyzed by ghoul's touch, somtimes even when they make their saving throws.

Confirmed
    Any character with craft arms and armor is being allowed to make +3 items with any other craft abilities they have the prerequisites for, regardless of their level.

Confirmed
    When wielding Scather against salamanders and the Balor with my CG fighter, on my turn, the fire damage I take from hitting them causes me to try to make additional return swings against them, locking up my turn, forcing me to halt the program. (Another bug report about the Scather/Frag issues with damage shields.)

Unconfirmed
    When Poison damage is applied, the lettering above your character is spelled "Posion".

Confirmed
    Zombies raised by Iuz attack hedrack. Happens in other various palces such as when fighting Senshock and in many larger battles. Enemies become confused and then attack their allies. Seems to be somewhat related to combat starting off with an area effect spell sometimes.

Confirmed
    Carrion crawler's attack rate is EXTREMELY slow.

Confirmed
    Node bosses (and romag) sometimes try to cast a spell on summoned bears, and it fails because the bear is "not a person", or in other cases, "not a critter".

2. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

As before 413,415,433,437,440,449*,473(can also target others),476,485,486(I've seen creacher att, anyway),487,489,495,498. *(I just summon something large enuff to mostly block it out and almost always "fixes" this.)

3. mark hill

mark hill Member

Ha! shades of Call of Cthulhu, demon summoners often get bad and unexpected results .. I wouldnt fix it lol

possibly because positive energy causes great pain to demons?

yes, moving the item obviously calls the script that calculates encumberance .. you wouldnt want to add a heartbeat type script to do this job tho, it may slow down the whole game radically .. I wouldnt touch it, its not unbearable if understood

so the local mages around here are a bit stingier to thier outmustered apprentices :) as long as its consistent, no big deal. Look at how many spells are on the PnP books that dont even appear in any CRPGs cause they only work in tabletop!

so the Balor just charmed him to make the idiot easier to kill, thats ok, I do it myself constantly

not my experience, Im often not paralysed by ghoul hits .. but Im wondering, are elves supposed to be still immune to ghoul paralysis in D+D these days? My elf has definetly been paralysed by common ghouls, not ghasts

lol its teh 1337 version of greyhawk

4. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

473: Vampiric touch

Have these fixes from 2004 been used already?

http://www.co8.org/forum/printthread.php?t=1060

I've been fiddling with them and have vampiric touch working as intended with some kinks. The spell does 1-6/2 per caster level and gives you the hitpoints (except one time I did 24 dam and it gave me 12). The hit points are not permanent and cannot be stacked on top of each other with another successive casting of the spell. It uses a dex touch attack so you get a -4 if the target is adjacent to another attacker.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  5. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

I think some of the fixes to vampiric touch have been overwritten somewhere along the line, as it has gone back to the 2004 bug of not granting temporary hitpoints (unless I have missed a change in the log somewhere). In it's current incarnation (v8.0) you must cast it on yourself and discharge it in the normal fashion. It deals damage (though I need to go back and check if it is the right amount), but does not grant the attacker any temporary hit points.

... Confirmed, also dealing the wrong amount of damage (1-6 +1/lvl)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

437 umber hulk and it's confusing gaze.

The confusing gaze works exactly as a confusion spell which means it is an area spell, (15ft burst).
    Umberhulk Description Link

So, the gaze is working as it should, umber hulks are not to be considered an easy foe, they're actually rather intelligent too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
Our Host!