Equipping Characters?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pelonius, Aug 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pelonius

Pelonius Member

Hi - I just recently bought TOEE online for next to nothing after finding this site. You guys really should take a share of the profit every time this game is sold, since you're the ones who have put forth the effort to make it playable.

Ok, to my question. I have patches 1 and 2 installed, followed by CO8 and Liv's mod.

When I created my party, I decided to just make one character to lead the party that I would identify as "my" character. After, I just chose from the premade list. Everything ok to this point.

I read in the manual that you are able to buy equipment before starting the game where you have that little scripted encounter before going to the town (not sure why the group would rush off like that, but ok hheh). Instead of this, after I chose my party, it went directly to loading the encounter.

Is there a reason why I can't buy equipment before I start out? It was kind of weird. I clicked the done button and I heard a few of my chars complain that they were slightly overloaded, then it put me in game.

Maybe I have to make all of my characters the long way to be able to buy equipment? Thanks for any help.

2. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Your characters all get starting equipment, and you can buy more in Homlet before going out adventuring, but you don't get to shop before the game actually starts.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I might be jumping the gun a little, but is this something that people want to be able to do? I think it's possable, using ToEEWB we could alter the start locations for each vignette (away form instant combats), add a merchant near that location and edit start_equipment.mes to give nothing to new characters.

You start the game (naked as the day you were born) buy your stuff, and go kick some butt!

4. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

Hmmm, that actually has posabilities as I usually ditch ALL my starting gear, near right away (minus the armor). Though I'm curious how you would go about deciding how much to give the person to spend?

5. Pelonius

Pelonius Member

Just figure out the gold cost of each item and return it. 1 longsword, 1 battle axe, 1 scale mail, 1 shield for warrior, etc. etc. etc.

As a side note buiding on the fact that I'm just starting out, my first encounter was shocking. A giant toad jumped out of a pond and ate one of my characters. Then, three more promptly jumped out and proceeded with swallowing everyone else except my main char who got hit with sleep when I tried to get the toads. I think I managed to do 1 dmg with a ray of cold spell... and thats it. Did I jump the gun trying to head out to the mill? Ohh, and I saw some reference to waking up sleeping chars, but I can't find it again. Anyone know?

6. Allyx

Well every party starts with 500gp, I'm not sure if you can add a certain amount of money to each class in start_equipment.mes (I can give multiples of 50 copper, silver, gold or platinum, but nothing in between).

I was thinking of adding somewhere close to maximum (of maybe half) starting gold for each class according to the PHB?

PHB Starting gold = Max
    Barbarians 4d4x10=160
    Bard 4d4x10=160
    Cleric 5d4x10=200
    Druid 2d4x10=80
    Fighter 6d4x10=240
    Monk 5d4=20
    Paladin 6d4x10=240
    Ranger 6d4x10=240
    Rogue 5d4x10=200
    Sorcerer 3d4x10=120
    Wizard 3d4x10=120

7. Allyx

Yeah hit him with non-lethal damage, should wake him up!

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Hey Allyx that would be great if you could do that, and the way you've worked out the money looks good, you'd just need a good range of clothes so our barbies can get dressed up right from the start of the game without consoling stuff in.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Is that 'buy stuff before you start' the infamous 'shop-map' often referred to in the innards of the game but so far never seen?

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

If you do this, my vote is that all the stuff available be standard quality, non-magical items. Leave all the juicy stuff (including modded things) for the game in chief.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

As Lord Spike said, no magic or masterwork stuff in the shop, just simple things like robes and garbs and armours oh and crapy old rusty weapons...

12. Pelonius

Pelonius Member

Since I posted this in regards to my newbie questions I thought I'd tag one more on.

I have the above mods installed, and I have having a LOT of trouble getting started. I bring my party out to the bandit hideout and they defeat a group of giant toads. Ok, I got past that. However, when I try to fight the bandits inside, I end up losing 1-3 people due to the fact that they seem to be just as good as my guys, yet they outnumber me. Is this due to the Liv mod?

It just seems strange that I am being thrown into these huge encounters right when I start off.

13. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

What level are you? I usually wind up at 2 or 3 by the time I get to the moathouse (thanks to quests and trips to emridy meadows and such). Plus, there's always NPC muscle to be had.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, try the various quests around Hommlet, they'll get you to lvl 2 ok and since you have never done them, you aren't sick of them yet :) And hire Elmo, you know you want to...

15. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

I agree with the advice above: if you don't feel like you have enough fire power, do the town quests and/or hire Elmo. Recruiting other NPCs can help as well (non-spoilerish, one comes with a great early magic weapon for any longword users in your party).

Also, don't be afraid to have your Wizard scribe 6+ Sleep scrolls before you go in. Each casting of Sleep will usually take out 1-2 low level foes; toss it into a room ahead of your party and you can shift the odds your way. Bless is a great first level buff for your whole party as well, and a first level Bard can use fascinate to keep the single toughest foe out of the fight until you've cleared the small fry. Enlarge Person lasts a fair amount of time, adds +2 STR, and ncreases weapon damage. Shield of Faith is also good.

If you're having trouble with the first fight before going in, move into the courtyard more slowly and only activate a few foes at a time, and keep tossing Sleep spells.

Our Host!