Greetings from a newcomer

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Wilf_S, Jul 14, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Wilf_S

Wilf_S Member

Hello there,

I am absolutely and totally new to The Temple of Elemental Evil. I fancied a bit of a D&D experience and started Googling....This sounded like it might suit me down to the ground.

I purchased a copy from ebay for the princely sum of 99 New Pence and it arrived this morning....a little bit more Googling has brought me here.

Now unfortunately, as well as finding this site I also found many reasonably bad things written about ToEE....bugs, freezing, broken quests. So much so, I thought maybe I had chosen unwisely...However, reading some of the comments on here has brought me back around.

After procrastinating for the last hour, reading this and that and scouring the various posts, I have decided to install 'Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.1 BETA' (Not NC). I hope you approve and think this will give me a pretty stock experience, but also with many of the bugs and problems fixed.

Ive followed the instructions, Atari patches 1&2 only and next the mod pack.

No doubt I'll be back, but for now....so long.

Wilf.

2. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

Hey Wilf,

ToEE is pretty much as close as you can get to PnP D&D on a computer. It follows the actual rules much more closely than, say, Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights - particularly in regard to combat.

Be sure to follow the instructions on this site for proper installation of the Co8 fixes, and you should be fine. I just recently reinstalled ToEE, and I'm having very few problems. It's not flawless, but there shouldn't be any showstoppers left. There aren't any for me, anyway.

ToEE is very fun and underrated, so I suspect you'll be happy you found it.

:yes:

The one thing I noticed about ToEE the first time I played it is that it starts out slow. You'll spend a fair amount of time rolling up your characters, and then even more time figuring out what you're supposed to be doing in the game. Be patient. The game will give you a direction to go by giving you quests, but keep in mind you don't have to do them, at least not right away. If you get bored with something, or if it seems really hard, leave it for later.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. maalri

maalri Immortal

I agree with Universal. The bugs are nearly Non-existant with the Co8 patches and Mods, and the new content is simply fabulous. You WILL enjoy. There is absolutely NOTHING closer to PNP DnD than this game and no better place to get help with it than this forum!

With the latest addtitions, if you choose 5.8.1 NC for example, you wil actually find it easy to level enough to do what you need to to "win" but you may find so many paths to take, that it can be a bit confusing.

Thats what this forum is for. SEARCH the threads first, just a couple of keywords shoudl get you going in the right direction, but we, who have been here for years, are patient with newbies, so if you ask a few questions that have been answered you will get help, not attitude. Some answers may simply be a link to the right thread, and that works too!

Welcome!

4. sdOK

sdOK Member

Yeh give TOEE a chance.
    Dont get angry or frustrated. Tactics are king in combat.
    While combat can be hard and frustrating at first it also stays interesting and challenging.
    Most combat encounters in the game are fun and dont descend into a chore.

5. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Well, eventhough ToEE is straightforward dungeoncrawl, getting to said dungeon is not so evident (although-like Rome- every road brings you to the temple ;) )

There are 2 bugs which are quite persistent, the one I call the "travelbug" - where travelling between 2 points on the worldmap you get thrown out of the game, right to your desktop- and then there's the "freezing-map bug", but that's only near the end. Both of them are irritating, but just restarting the game gets you back into the game.
    And by the way, to minimize the "travelbug", just travel in etappes, short distances mean less possible time to bug :yes:

One word of advice, do NOT save during fights, as it corrupts your savegame-file, and do NOT use quicksave, for the same reason.

Well, I think I did my good deed of the day without giving out spoilers, so now you stop reading and go back to the job at hand...Killing innocent peasants...:bored: euhm, no wait, I meant SAVING those innocent peasants XD

6. Wilf_S

Wilf_S Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback. My mind is at rest and I am going to see this through.

As the eternal worrier that I am, I think I spent about 2 hours (probably more), just putting my party together....and even then when faced with what spells and feats to choose my clicking finger turned to jelly.....

....and just when I thought right here we go, I had to buy equipment. I think perhaps you can read too much and striving for the perfect party is futile.....Im sure that whatever choices I have made won't matter overall and you can probably complete the game with any combination of characters, feats and spells !!!

I got through it and so be it.

My party consists of a Lawful Good based quintet :
    Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard, Ranger

I just need the misses and kids to go out for the rest of the day now :)

Later.

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

Good group make up- Have fun!

Our Host!