Point Buy Method

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Tegyr, Sep 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Tegyr

Tegyr Member

Hello, i am new here and a total lurker and not a doer sadly, since i dont have the time to learn the ins and outs of ToEE. wanted to say that you here do magnificent work, i am eager to see what you can do with toee. Now for my inevitable question: rolling dice for my characters is fun and all but i personally prefer the pointbuy method. But the amount of 25 points seems to be a "tad" low considering the average results of the rolling method. so i was wondering if it is possible to raise the CP amount to, say, 28 instead?

Keep up your great work everybody! :behold:

2. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

I agree -- this is something on my list, but not my immediate list.

I ran 50 "rolls" using ToEE's stat roller, and the total point average was, after calculating the costs of ToEE Point Buy, 36 pts.

I'd like to bump point buy up to 32 or 34.

3. Tegyr

Tegyr Member

well since it is the weekend i startet digging throughthe .tab and .mes files in toee3.dat but i cant find anything relating to this. or it may be i just don´t understand how toee/the arcanum engine works.. Am i right that there should be a file somewhere that tells the engine how much points for point buy you have? or would such a thing be hardcoded? after 2 hours looking through a ton of files i understand as much as before and getting kinda dizzy :) any pointers where this could be? i looked at most files in the rules and mes folder but had no luck yet. i found where the creationmenu is put together with names titles and found the hoverhelp texts but nothing else. *sigh* anyone an idea where i might start looking?

4. Executor

Executor Member

It could be that a lot of the game data is simply hard-coded. I tried looking for monster stats, but I couldn't find them in any file which leads me to believe they must be in the EXE.

5. Ares

Ares Member

I did a short search and found the following file (maybe it's the one you mentioned?) : /mes/pc_creation.mes

This one lists the options you have during the creation. Maybe you take a closer look and try to find out, where the id's are used?

{10007}{POINTS AVAILABLE:}
    {10010}{Stat Increase}
    {10011}{Cost Per Point}
    {10012}{from 9 to 14
    from 14 to 16
    from 16 to 18}
    {10013}{1
    3}
    {10014}{Kills:}
    {10015}{Point Buy}

~Ares

6. Dhoom

I thought Monsters and NPCs were listed in Protos.tab?

7. Executor

Executor Member

Thanks. Didn't notice them the first time I looked through the file because I didn't have word wrap turned on in Notepad.

The balor has been seriously nerfed and I'd like to make it a touch more challenging.

Problems with balor:
    • size should be Large (not Huge)
    • SR should be 28 (not SR 21)
    • doesn't have permanent true seeing
    • hp should be 20d8+200 (not 12d8+120)
    • should have DR 15/cold iron and good (not DR 10/holy)
    • ability scores too low
    • all its skills are way too low
    • saves might be off too
    • only has 3 feats in ToEE (cleave, great cleave, power attack)
    • natural attacks should probably be claws (2d8+Str) each and bite (4d6+halfStr). Balors don't have natural attacks listed in the MM, but I took those damages from the pit fiend. Troika had its attack routine as claw 2d8+10, claw 1d6+10, and bite 1d8+10
    • lots of its spell-like abilites are missing. In the MM balors have dominate monster, so we could at least give it dominate person

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  8. seebs

seebs Member

25 is low. 25 is the number for a "challenging" game; 28 is "normal". 32 is "high-powered". Yes, rolls get slightly higher ratings, but they're less controlled; that's some level of balance between them.

I'm surprised that they used 25. Maybe it's a standard for some group, like LG.

9. Ausir

Ausir Beholder Overseer Veteran

Living Greyhawk uses 28 points.

As for Balor, it was nerfed to fit the 1E stats more (he was less powerful then).

10. Dhoom

This just makes me want to mention the "HARDCORE" mod again... we beef all the monsters back up to 3.5Ed rules, add a few more, bump the rewards up a bit, increase the Max Level Cap to 20 (can't change class cap 10, I don't think)...

heh.

But, bug-fixes first. :D

Our Host!