Blacksmith masterwork weapons interaction

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by windmillcrusadeR, Jan 29, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Stitched

Stitched Member

Just chiming in:

I had this probllem yesterday. I slew the Giant in the meadow and talked to the Blacksmith with my Paladin (who is carrying the head) and it doesn't flag the Masterwork quest chain.

Addendum : Running vanilla ToEE, however, does. Hmmmm.

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

How did you get the giants head in vanilla? It's not even available in vanilla. I know how the quest is suppose to work, but I wasn't aware that it was changed and only for neutral and evil aligns. Don't quite understand the logic behind that.

3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi WizGeorge
    I can't swear to the quest being or not being in Vanilla (it's been a while since I played vanilla), but I can tell you that in Co8 v5.0 - 5.7.2 you can do the quest with Good aligned parties. Call me a naive do-gooder, but I run nothing BUT Good parties, and have never had a problem completing the Masterwork Weapons quest. I usually run NG parties, but i have also completed the quest with LG and CG parties.
    The Royal Canadian

4. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

FWIW, I am playing 5.7.0 with two parties -- one is NG and can't get the MW quest from Smythe, and the other is CE and did get the quest. (So, this would seem to confirm something alignment related is somehow involved with the problem.)

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

The head is def. not in vanilla. In vanilla, the only MW item BS sold was a quarterstaff. If you remember, the vanilla had a horrible lack of MW weapons (which didn't matter much anyway because the crafting was broken, too).

So no, there shouldn't be a giant head of any sort in vanilla TOEE.

On a side note, there should be a fun head-collecting quest for evil parties in TOEE. We could bring back the Rat King and maybe come up with a few fun interactions. Then, if you arranged the heads correctly on the altar in the Temple of Hextor, you'd get a cool evil wpn of some sort as a replacement for the Fragarach.

6. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

OMG, what a kickl ass quest that would be. i don't think Palins should get anything for that, but hey, that wouldn't effect me.

I got the NG game to trigger the master work quest. i also got a rogue to open the chest for the CN game.

I haven't been able to do the CG quest to trigger the Master work quest only.

7. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

HA!
    I figured it out.

I went back and tried CG start for the game.

Usually i ask the smith some more questions.

but instead i asked the other option "do you make armor"

then he gave me the usual "r u wourth it..."

but then the PC line was able to convince him and i got the quest

Where as before i'd click on the trigger "can i ask you some more questions"

This time i went for the first "can you make armor" option

Give it a try

I'm 44, i shouldn't spend this much time on such a li9ttle thing

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, it's not like Pallies can join evil parties anyway... Could probably add a "fall" check for it as well. I just wish I had the skills to make this happen, then I'd start working on it right away rather than randomly blabbering away ^___^

Our Host!