Tales of the Wild Coast Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Jul 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    For what it's worth, I just finished a runthrough that similar to what the v6.0 will be like without Verbobonc, the Moathouse respawn, and Hickory Branch. Other than a few tight spots at the lower experience levels (the Moathouse Bugbears and Grunds Fishstory) I had no serious difficulties, and my group of 3 PCs + Meleny were 15th Level before going to finish off Zuggtmoy, and 16th Level when they were done.

Allow me to add my 2 CP worth on the CE "Kill Them All with no consequences" debate. Personally, I would feel that there would be at least SOME sort of response from the forces of good, if you wiped out the VIllage of Hommlet. Here's why

1.) Hommlet IS important to the forces of Good. If it wasn't, why did the Viscount of Verbobonc hire Rufus and Burne to start a defense force and pay for the construction of the castle they are building ?? Castles are expensive to build, maintain, and garrison, so it stands to reason that any town that has it's own castle MUST be important. That means that if Hommlet were wiped out, SOMEBODY would investigate and take action. Nulb on the other hand, because of it's "Wild West" semi-unlawless nature, you could probably wipe out with impunity.

2.) How would the forces of good know who to look for you ask ?? Simple: Unless you went house to house in the middle of the night, were extremely quiet, and got extremely lucky, someone would get away, hop on a horse (just because you have to walk everywhere doesn't mean the "natives" have to) and ride away to describe your party and what you were doing to the people of Hommlet.

The Royal Canadian

2. adarius

adarius One man army.

Grand Theft Auto...those cops NEVER run out of officers. o.o That always made me think after about 2 solid hours of running from and killing them.

Oh and hi everyone, I'm back.

My two cents worth in here is that the 'law enforcement' after doing these deeds should start out slightly weaker than your characters, maybe have a few more in number. If those are defeated, a stronger force is sent after you, and then after that it continues to escalate.

It kinda makes sense seeing how there were warriors of different levels of strength.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This doesn't have much bearing on the heart of the discussion here, but one thing I disagree with more and more as I think of it is the notion that Verbobonc wouldn't particularly care to pursue murderers, or even that they wouldn't mind too much if Hommlet was completely wiped out.

Hommlet is under control of the Viscounty of Verbobonc, as I understand it. (Nulb may not be, actually - it seems to be somewhere in the border region between Verbobonc and Dyvers as near as I can tell.) If the viscounty is at least semi-civilized, this means that it's likely that Hommlet pays taxes to Verbobonc for various services - road and infrastructure upkeep and some measure of law and order would be the most fundamental, I believe. Hence, Verbobonc would be beholden to Hommlet to address serious criminal matters, and whereas perhaps a single murder would be left to Hommlet to deal with, a murderous crime spree or wholesale slaughter would not. Verbobonc would respond in some way - even if it was only to send a patrol army down that way to settle unrest for a time. If they didn't do this sort of thing, Hommlet would likely attempt to become a sovereign state, being as they would be getting nothing for their taxes and allegiance. And it seems that Verbobonc is not some sort of hostile dictatorship, so the matter of Hommlet's allegiance would not appear to be forced.

These things aside, law and order would be in the best interests of the viscounty. To have unsafe roads, unchecked criminal activity, and murder occurring at a steady rate would be bad for business, after all. And isn't the very purpose of the LN game to adderess bandit activity in the Hommlet area? If bandits are an issue, I think it's an easy assumption that Verbobonc would respond to any noticeable crime spree anywhere within the viscounty.

IMO this response would probably take the form of an investigative effort and police type presence for a killing spree sort of thing (something beyond isolated incidents - Burne and Rufus would probably petition Verbobonc for aid in such a case, being in over their heads), and an all-out occupation with manhunts, criminal interrogations, imprisonment, and executions for the slaughter of an entire village. To do anything less would mean that the viscounty was nonchalant and not particularly concerned with the well-being of the areas they control and the impact that such horrific occurrances would have on trade and commerce, which seems extremely unlikely to me.

Now, we're dealing with fictional environments here of course, so who's to say what would really happen beyond the trends stated or implied in topical D&D modules? But everything I've seen (which is not everything in toto) seems to suggest that the Viscounty of Verbobonc is at least semi-civilized and not a barbaric city-state. Their level of technology - paved roads, water works, etc. - suggests the same.

This also does not automatically mean that there must be manhunt encounters as has been proposed, but it's the main thing that causes me misgivings about the likelihood of slaughter parties walking freely about the realms. It just doesn't make sense, and IMO the legitimacy of the game suffers for it.

4. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I agree with Gaear, but playing devils advocate, the Viscount of Verb didnt seem to give a damn when Drow were invading the city.

5. Gaear

That's true, but as modded-in content, that one's on us. I may try to expand more on Wilfrick's belief that there are no drow - based on Lerrik's dubious influence - in the Verbo overhaul.

6. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

There will have a end in the game, although of the name of the thread?

[edit] I mean: after to deal with Zughtmoy, we will have the option to go ahead, right? So, we have an "ende" here, and so the game continues forever, or will have another "end game"?

I wonder if we will have some of that draws for any important thing that happens in the game... I just love the end of the game!

7. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

This is something I don't quite understand either. There is already a great story, with a beginning, middle and end, which has nice multiple endings which ties up loose ends. So forgive me for not understanding why that is inadequate for some, and the need to add an addendum to that story and create an additional supplemental ending? Am I the only one that feels is excessive, and reminds them of a never-ending soap opera?

PS i don't wish to appear rude to those who have already put forth so much great work and effort, but I fear that it may ruin some of the storytelling that already exists in TOEE, and could be adding depth to the already existing storyline.

8. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Here's how I see the "Butchers of Homlett" being taken care of. After laying waste to the town, and going house to house to kill every last innocent, even after all of those wandering town guards group up for a final assault with help from the newly teamed clerics of St Cuthbert and Jaroo the druid, the evil party comes out victorious with a pile of dead bodies creating a dam in the creek running through town.

Except they forgot to keep count and one little boy, from that house near the front of town where dozens of kids play and the cats and dogs never move, hides himself in one of those empty barrels outside a house. You know the one where you find 10 arrows or something. Well, when the evil party is feasting on fresh liver with farva beans, he slips out of town to make his way to Verbononc to warn the town council, who in turn send a message to the Circle of Eight for help in dealing with this new evil threat to the land. The Co8 themselves teleport in, throwing lightning bolts, fireballs, and gate in celestial help in unimaginable nu,bers to crush the evil party in just 2 rounds!

Except the boy forgot to pick up a +1 weapon from the discarded equipment that the evil party had dumped, since +1 meant nothing to them and they had killed all the merchants so they had no one to sell them to, and the boy had a random encounter with a group of shadows, and not being able to flee or hit them, since he had no magic weapon, he gave up all hope of bringing the evil doers to justice and ended his game.

9. Gaear

Not quite sure about that one yet. There would be advantages to leaving TotWC somewhat free-form, such as allowing for additional expansion down the road.

It could be that Half Knight will do some additional endslides, like he's doing/done with KotB. Not sure.

Bear in mind that if you don't want to play totWC you won't have to. And whatever we do with the expansion material won't interfere with the original story.

10. Avatar_do_Grafite

Gaear

Thanks for the answear! Ill wait for news about that!

If this Half Knight needs some help about that, I'll love to help with some draws!

11. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

A thought on the evil party (The butchers of Hommlet). I believe other evil groups would also react (along with the forces of good) if they saw a particular evil party getting too powerful. Evil does not trust evil.

Remember the old west gunslingers were always trying to determine who was the fastest. The only way to get the reputation of being the fastest was to beat the gunslinger who was considered the fastest. So how do you prove that you are badder than the butchers of Hommlet, either masscre a bigger town or destroy the butchers.

Since destroying a bigger town would attract the forces of good, it would make more sense to build your rep by killing the butchers. Not only would you be seen as good guys for eliminating the butchers, but you also get rid of the competition that is drawing attention to evil activity. The party could go back to their evil ways with a veneer of goodness to cloak them for awhile. Or the group could secretly eliminate the butchers leaving no trace.

Also remember some of the people in Hommlet represent the forces of evil operating in the town. The other evil groups make not like that you eliminated members that were bring in revenue and some have a code of honor to avenge fallen members.

Just a thought.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats a very sensible idea. The original module made the point that Lareth would brook servants but not rivals - maybe we need an evil-vs-evil smackdown as one of the options.

13. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

In my high level mod I had the evil party invade Hommlet at Lareths request (which would only happen if you saved him from Burnes Tower and had the golden skull).

A super Lareth vs evil party would be cool.

14. Avatar_do_Grafite

In the "Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil" adventure, there are an old and powerfull Lareth a little mad becose of a party of adventures...
    Hum... I know that ya guys are having a lot of work here, but a little look at this book shall give some new ideas for ya. A "refresh" in the Temple will not be a bad idea, hum?

Well, as always, just wondering.

15. Zagig

Zagig Member

I was just saying that to a friend today, that I would love to see a RttToEE module (like the KotB module) made. I have no programming experience or I might do it myself.

Our Host!