MOB File Format Breakdown Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Mar 20, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Here's what you have to do, step by step:

1. Unzip toeeextract.exe to the Temple of Elemental Evil\modules subdirectory.
    2. Drag & Drop ToEE.dat onto toeeextract.exe. A DOS window should now appear while the files in ToEE.dat are being extracted.
    3. When the DOS window disappears, open the folder ToEE. You should now see lots of map subdirectories, some of which have .mob files in them. Use the "Search" option and search for files with the extension *.mob. If it doesn't find any, you made a mistake somewhere, and you'll have to start again with step 1.
    4. Use Agetian's Mod Studio to analyse the mob files. I haven't tried this myself yet, so I can't help you with that! ;)

2. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ahhhhhhhhh i see i misunderstood how to use the toee extractor. thanks, got it running right now gettting those files. as soon as its done ill start running analysis on them for the mob files.

3. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok this may be nothing but each time im analyizing the files im getting an odd error

an unhandled exception

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at mobedit.Form1.button3_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    mobedit
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1702.16857
    Win32 Version: 1.0.1702.16857
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Graywolfe/My%20Documents/ToEEModstudio/toee_studio.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

now im going to keep checking in case this has nothing to do with the mob files im looking for but it does make me wonder why its popping up

4. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hmmm, that's a weird problem... I've never ever had that before on the ToEE Mod Studio (I assume it's public beta1). Are you getting this when the program starts or when you point to the folder with mob files and click "Analyze"? (Well, from what I see, you're probably getting this when you click on the button, but that doesn't explain why it happens).
    In order to do the analysis properly you have to do this

1) go to the "Mob analysis" tab in the toee mod studio;
    2) click on "...", go to one of the folders that contains mob files (for example, "modules/ToEE/maps/Map-2-Hommlet-Exterior" and click on any file you want (not necessarily a mob file).
    3) click "analyze".

I checked it today on two computers and it worked for me. It's really weird that it doesn't work for you...
    Please supply as much information as you can.

An important P.S.
    I've started a MOB studio program. It's kinda conceptional right now, but I think in a couple weeks it might turn out to be a program which will let you to build (at least certain) types of mob files and link 'em together.

An important P.P.S.
    I'm still looking forward to getting that list of smallest NPC mob files in the game... So let's try to get it covered with the bug you've mentioned before with the ToEE studio ;-)))

- Agetian

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  5. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

1) go to the "Mob analysis" tab in the toee mod studio;
    2) click on "...", go to one of the folders that contains mob files (for example, "modules/ToEE/maps/Map-2-Hommlet-Exterior" and click on any file you want (not necessarily a mob file).
    3) click "analyze".

right thats what im doing with each file in the folders under maps. im getting the error each time i check a file and when i open the mod studio. it gives you the option to quit or to continue. i checked the config of the studio and it looks right according to the readme file that was included and i imported the files again from toee. im not sure what else to do with it......its probally why i havent found any mob files yet since one of the first lines deals with mobedit

6. Agetian

Hmm... weird.
    Anyway, if you can PM me your e-mail address I can send you a pre-configured copy of ToEE Mod Studio that works on my PC, this might help you.

- Agetian

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

lord_graywolfe@yahoo.com

thanks hopfully this will work and ill have better luck tracking down those mob. files for you

8. Agetian

Hi,

So, any luck with the mob files yet? I've sent you the preconfigured ToEE Mod Studio so I'm kind of curious if it worked or not. Did you get it, by the way?

- Agetian

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

yeah i got it and its working fine thanks.....ive already found several mob files that are under 499. course most are animals like sheep and dogs but all the prisoners on the 1st floor of the Temple are under 499. how would you like me to list out the files for you, do you want the whole path and file name or just the folders they are in.

10. Agetian

Hey, I'm glad to hear that the mod studio worked for you! Cool. That'd be nice if you could provide a list of files (the whole G_xxxxxxxx_xxxx...... thing and the folder where it's located - no need to provide the whole path, just the map folder itself (e.g. "Map-2-Hommlet-Exterior").
    Thanks in advance.
    - Agetian

11. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok well here are a couple to get you started.

map12-temple-dungeon-level-1 G_0D5D67F8_45B5_4A6D_97D1_201FE6B210D5

lot of the prisoners there are under 500 and some will join the party i think.

map16-air-node G_0BADDF14_F60F_4FF3_9CE6_7B416235637B

Demo-Hommlet G_0A2BB21F_C1A3_4E3F_A16F_5A1A36A493EC

these two have monsters and regular animals in them but they fit your criteria

12. Agetian

Thanks. If you could find a little bit more (I'll probably need around 10 for a more or less detailed analysis), that would be simply wonderful! Since I'm almost through with adding the support for chests in my MOB builder I could do the NPCs next! Thanks again!

- Agetian

13. Jota

Jota Member

I would like to help to, can you resume in short what the mob files are for.

Thanks.

14. Agetian

Yeah, sure I can!
    MOB files are the files that store the so-called "mobiles" (i.e. all the more-or-less interactable objects in the game: NPCs, weapons, armor, chests, money, and whatever else). These files are located in the Modules/ToEE.dat file which can be unpacked with the toee extractor. Today there is no solid theory about how the mob files are constructed, even though I'm very close to making one.

I'm glad you're willing to help. What are your skills? What kind of stuff can you do (hex editing mainly)? I'd be glad if you could help!!
    - Agetian

15. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

hmmmm was just noticing that there the long file names starting with G under the folders, which are the ones ive been giving you, and then the files inside of those also are long names starting with G. did you want the actual line name for each individual npc? if then i have about 20 for you now will just take some time to write down those long names.

this is the line from a npc under the temple file i listed before

G_0F3637BC_7104_4E29_BF12_F929ADE01B2E.mob

Our Host!