TCE/stat-altering

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by StrontiumDog, Sep 20, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

Hello,

I originally used the TCE available from www.sorcerers.net to change the stats of my characters. Before anyone starts saying that cheating is "immoral" etc., I should try to explain that I always play the first few games without cheating(partly because it can take months to get character editors available for download after the PC game release date). I find that AD&D computer games are rather artificial and unrealistic in that you don't get added reinforcements to the enemy if you reenter the same dungeon level a second time, which leads to endless resting, which is a timewaster and poor roleplay etc. So cheating a little makes it less necessary to return constantly, just because my wizard has been forced to lower his Strength stat to 6 or 8, for example, to gain an 18 intelligence.

Anyway, I used the TCE to change stats and add feats(so as to copy the kind of stats drow/aasimar/deep gnomes etc. have., which players might get in NeverWinter Nights etc.). But, lately, after updating to C08 5.0 mods(plus the current 5.01 beta patch), while the game itself is fine normally after downloading, when I use the TCE to change stats and add feats, the game automatically crashes after I load up the TOEE Front-End facility, and is forever unworkable, so I have to uninstall it.

So, is there a way to improve stat scores or feat scores within the game? Or is there a TCE-equivalent piece of software which I can use?

Thanks

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well it still works fine for me.

at what point exactly does the game crash?

3. Osaka

Osaka Member

You can improve your stats by 1 point on levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20. As for the TCE, I admit that I've used it before to save time. Sometimes I'll take some of my PNP characters and transfer their stats into the game, or do it the old fashioned way and roll dice to get the scores I need rather than hitting reroll 400 times :writersbl

Be careful that you can only use that tool before your characters join a party. So if you plan to use it do so right after you've created the character otherwise its effects can lead to disaster.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

also...

well there is the "all 18s" cheat, using this method you can make any stat between 8 and 18, before racial changes.

at the screen where you can role for points (basic) or use point buy system (advanced)
    go to the advanced screen and put (for example) strenght to 18
    click and drag the number 18 to the right and drop it about where the yellow boxes are in the basic screen, the 18 should disapear.
    go backto the basic screen you'll see the 18 in the yellow box
    go to the advanced screen and repeat (on different attributes)
    finally when you have you stats at the numbers that you want them at go back to basic screen and drop your numbers in the boxes like you rolled them.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

As far as stats and TCE, one "rule of thumb" I've heard is do not make any character with a stat equal to or greater than 43; I don't know how true this is, if the actual number where problems starts is less than 43 or is greater than 43 [if there is a problem].

I've heard there is supposed to be a bug that can occur from changing feats using TCE; I do not know any details and if it is even true or not.

Also, I've heard that you can corrupt a character game file using TCE. There is some kind of validity to this one; I do not know the details about this one.

Hopefully, this helps in some way.

6. Osaka

Osaka Member

First time I tried using TCE was during the middle of the game. Once I'd made the changes and loaded the game up it would immediately crash. Seems that the game does a checksum or creates a hash for each character to check for file corruption. Stats wise you can go pretty high and be safe, trying to add more feats than your character should have will crash the game. Same with skills, trying to add more skill points than your character should have (least in my experience) will crash the game as well.

7. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

I've checked and found the reason for the problem. I'd also downloaded the TCE version 7.0, and used that without realising. I've now used the TCE version 8.0 beta instead, after suspecting what was wrong, and everything has turned out fine. I vaguely seem to recall that I only ever had problems, previously, with corrupting the files with TCE version 8.0, if I changed the stats/feats too frequently. So far, I've added one extra feat to my non-human characters to give them parity with human PCs(humans anyway get tons of extra skill points), and the sum of my overall stat-scores for each character is 92(I have played TOEE games with all 18-stats lots of times, but now I prefer to play with some stats being 20, while others are anywhere from 6 to 14 - for a more interesting game.

I did, unfortunately, start a game for 1 minute(re jade Empress scene), and then went back and altered a few details in one or two of the characters, but the game seems to be working fine.

8. RICK-DOG

RICK-DOG Member

I do this alot. Is there a chance that this "cheat" will cause bugs?

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

not that I can think of because you're exploiting a bug in the interface.

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

You can also "console" to make your stats whatever you'd like them to be once you start a game. I actually se this to lower some and raise some on my characters tog et what I think is right.

Search - using the console -on this forum

Our Host!