Which feat?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Scryler, Oct 21, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I took Guardian Angel's suggestion and multiclassed Elmo into a Cleric. Since then, he leveled up. I'd like input on which feat would be most advantageous for Elmo. I chose Improved Turning, but I wonder if Great Cleave would have been more useful? I don't have a lot of D&D knowledge (obviously), so was wondering what experienced players would have chosen.

My party consists of:
    L4 Gnome Bard (Spokesperson)
    L4 Halfling Rogue
    L4 Human Sorcerer
    L4 1/2 Orc Fighter
    L4 1/2 Elf Druid
    L4/L2 Human Fighter(?)/Cleric (Elmo)
    L10 Fighter or Ranger (Otis)

Both the 1/2 Orc Fighter and Otis have Great Cleave.

The other party members are soon to level up and I plan on multiclassing the Bard and Rogue to Mages of 1 type or another.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Great cleave if better for extended weapons and polearms. I usually give Elmo the dual-wield he didn't get as a ranger (which is what he's supposed to be). He starts out with 4 levels of fighter. I don't know why.

Watch how great cleave plays out for the others.

3. Scryler

Better when enemies have extended weapons or when Elmo has extended weapons?

4. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

If you gave Elmo the Sun Domain as a Cleric then you probably wouldn't need Improved Turning as Sun Cleric's get Greater Turning. Otherwise Great Cleave works REALLY well with the Radiant Ranseur from Air Temple.
    LF

5. Scryler

That would be 2 feats away, then. At least for Elmo. Since he'd also need the Exotic Weapons Proficiency feat. I'd rather Armstrong (1/2 Orc fighter) took that feat, since he already has Great Cleave.

Edit: I gave Elmo Sun and Plant Domains.

What other feat (that would benefit a Cleric) should I choose for Elmo? Besides the dual-wield? I was thinking Combat Casting.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  6. Kamanze

Kamanze 7th son of a 7th son

I don't know if elmo come's with it, but I personally suggest combat reflex's for all for party members exept wizards and sorcerers. Really really deady combo if used with pole weapon users

7. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

Elmo doesn't need an exotic weapon prof for the ranseur. I just checked:

[​IMG]

Combat reflex is a good one if you have a positive Dexterity bonus, the more the better.

8. Scryler

How did you do that?

Edit: OK found out how you did it. But my Elmo doesn't show anything like that...has Battle Ax enhanced, for example.

So I guess my question is: How did you get to the results you show for Elmo?

9. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

Elmo is a fighter and gets that weapon in his martial weapons feat.
    Click on the primary weapon bonus
    Primary = +13 click on the +13 (or whatever.) Works for all the numbers so you can see what is adding up to his AC, HP, Saves, how much to next Level with XP, etc.

In the above case Elmo is a level 5 Fighter and Level 2 Ranger (+5 and +2 Class bonus') has 18 strength (+4 Bonus) and has the Ranseur (+2) equipped.

10. GuardianAngel82

Essentially, yes. With anyone who uses polearms or other extended range weapons, Great Cleave is a good combination. Bad for you, if it's an enemy player character.

FYI, I rarely take it.

11. Scryler

I think I was confused because the game states in one place that Ranseurs (ranci?) are classified as Exotic Weapons and in another place as Martial Weapons...and I was reading the former.

So now the whole party has leveled up (except Otis). I gave a Masterwork Ranseur to Armstrong (1/2 Orc fighter) and dual-wielded Elmo with Battle Axes.

Finally off to the Temple yet again...maybe the forth time? Maybe the third. I forget. Too many times.

Hopefully, I won't have to start over. I am learning a lot about the game, however.

12. GuardianAngel82

If you like the ranseur, there's a Holy (Radiant) one downstairs. Later, if things are working out with Strongarm, give him Great Cleave. It keeps going until someone hit is not knocked to negative hits. Whirlwind Attack is even better.

Good Hunting! :thumbsup:

13. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I don't understand that. It seems to me that Great Cleave only works if you have a second attack in a round that successfully knocks someone to negatives.

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Not sure if that's what you meant, but Great Cleave essentially gives you unlimited cleave attacks (not just one). Thus, a fighter could take out a group of goblins in one round, for example - you get cleave attacks until you fail to knock an enemy out

15. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

You expressed that very clearly. Thank you. It is obvious why it is unlikely to keep dropping tough opponents.

I always thought the feat progression should be
    Power Attack=> Cleave => Great Cleave => Whirlwind, rather than the current
    Expertise, Dodge => Mobility => Spring Attack => Whirlwind

Our Host!