Playing it solo/speedrun

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nyarlathotep, May 5, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

So, has anyone allready tried a solo or speedrun of this game?

If so, what's your favourite character setup?

2. grinner666

grinner666 Member

I've done solo a couple of times. My favorite character for that is a Druid with a high enough INT to take a single level in Wizard (so you can use one of Lareth's Extraplanar Chest scrolls ... also so you can use wizard scrolls, staves, wands, etc).

I've tried Wizards, Clerics and Paladins too, but the Druid's got everything necessary to survive and thrive in ToEE. Good healing, decent damage spells, GREAT battlefield-control spells, even great armor in Dragonhide Plate if your character lacks Dex (my Druids usually do) ... maybe the ONE weakness in tabletop D&D Druids.

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

I agree. A multiclassed Druid it's the best option, IMHO.
    But you don't need a wizard lvl to use Lareth's scroll...in fact, you don't need to cast the spell, since zombies in the cells of the moathouse have a chest to loot, without any need of casting the spell (NEVER forget to use tab key...Co8ers are a bunch of tricky guys...run around Hommlet, for example, pressing the tab... ;) )
    A good multiclass option should be Rogue (maybe bard), since you'll be able to use more social skills, and could detedt more traps, and use many scrolls and wands.
    Heck, a druid could craft almost all the list of magical items, if needed...

4. grinner666

grinner666 Member

I've had problems with using looted Extraplanar Chests, though. They (almost) never seem to work correctly, not opening for the new owner. Far better to have one of your own making.

Far as Druid/Rogue goes, that's just ... aesthetically unpleasing to me. Why would a nature priest choose to multiclass into such a quintessentially urban character class?

Druid/Bard, on the other hand, works aesthetically but not practically. In a solo campaign, the Bard's main combat strength (supporting other party members) never comes into play at all. Unless you're hiring lots of NPCs, in which case you are NOT playing a solo campaign. Also: Bard adds nothing to the character's chance to find traps, and since the only trap that's not on a locked chest you won't be able to open is clearly visible, who cares anyway?

Druid/Fighter, Druid/Ranger and Druid/Barbarian all work, but don't add enough to take beyond first level. The use of all martial weapons is the main advantage here, though the Barbarian has some nice abilities you can take advantage of ... in fact a character who ended up Druid 18/Wizard 1/Barbarian 1 would be a sweet combo indeed ... :transform

5. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

I tried a solo run with a fighter/rogue. Didnt go too well after I reached the temple.

6. grinner666

grinner666 Member

Yeah ... non-spellcasters kinda get boned in 3.x. You want to get along with a single character he's GOT to be able to cast spells. Preferably healing, battlefield control AND damage spells ... which is why the Druid's possibly the best class for solo play. Cleric and Paladin can work too, though their lack of skill points makes some quests tough to get, much less finish.

Our Host!