Is timer in my game broken?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Qwinn, Apr 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

It seems like it anyway, and to be honest, it's driving me nuts. Thrommel's elves are -not- showing up (no, I didn't turn down his reward), and believe me, I've been trying to get them to for like 2 hours here.

Pertinent points:

1) I've been trekking back and forth between Hommlet and Nulb for like 2 hours, in a period ranging from two game weeks after I freed Thrommel to 60 days later.

2) Haven't received any reward from the Princess I rescued on level 2 either. (I dunno if she's supposed to send a reward, she said she would when I rescued her though)

3) Two months later, Bing is still telling me it'll be a "few days" before he can sell me masterwork items.

4) Ditto the cabinet-maker.

Time dependent things that -have- happened:

1) The blacksmith in Hommlet opened up his masterwork items (actually not sure if this is time dependent or not, he seemed to do so next time I talked to him after giving him the giant head).

2) The item I ordered from the woodsman did show up.

3) The moathouse did respawn.

Most of the bugs I've been reporting I do not do so to complain (I think you guys have done a great job, most of these bugs I've been reported have been trivial). I just figure it'll save you testing time and stuff, and might notice something to help you track some down. In other words, I've been doing it in the spirit of a beta-tester.

But this one is a game-enjoyment-killer. I was really looking forward to Scather, and I'm running out of merchants I can sell stuff to (some of their inventories are full and haven't reset in ages, the only one that ever has is the blacksmith in Hommlet, Jakk won't reset his though).

Please help with this one? Is there some condition to these things that I've missed somehow?

Qwinn

P.S. Just so you know, I -did- use the search button before this post, believe me, I didn't find any useful ones on this till just now though. Standard response seems to be, play in the temple, they'll finally show up. Alright, I'll try that, but I've already cleared levels 1 and 2 utterly, and most of level 3. Another response has been that it might require levelling. I was pretty high level when I rescued them... thrommel when I was around level 8 and level 9 for the princess. I'm at level 10 now. Well. Wish me luck.

Still wonder why Bing and the cabinet maker won't -ever- sell masterwork goods, but meh, if that winds up being the only remaining problem, I'll live with it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Dude, i don't know what to say...

At this point, you should reinstall everything, as you have TOO many bugs, that have been fixed, or reported before...i didn't have any problem you mention, except the empty/non functional chest of Hommlet's blacksmith (but recently a fix for that has been posted).

In any case (and not to shit on modders work), uninstall 5.05 and install 5.04 instead, which it's what i use, and seem to run really smooth, and see what happens :shrug:

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Actually, inasmuch as Qwinn is beta-testing, I'd really prefer continued use of 5.0.5 so we can hash this stuff out.

Re: the timed events, Thrommel, Princess Tillahi, and the woodcutter all use the same Timed Event Method script by Cerulean the Blue. So the fact that some are working for you while some aren't is really odd. The Thrommel and Tillahi ones may not be broken, however.

We generally suggest that players approach these reward scenarios the way the game intended, which is to just forget about them until they happen rather than trying to manufacture the result (by traveling back and forth across the worldmap or whatever). There is a high level of randomness to these things, so you may simply have not gotten them yet.

The Bing and cabinet maker things sound wrong though. Their inventories are supposed to refresh with masterwork stuff a day or so after you make the deal, provided you've had a map change between. This is once again intended to simulate the passage of time, as they wouldn't just cart out a masterwork inventory they'd been hiding in the back room for your instant perusal.

What's odd about this is that we haven't received much complaint about this stuff not working in recent times. I read a few posts back that you had installed via Zebedee's Instructions thread, so you should be in good shape as far as that goes. If you're really committed to beta testing (which I appreciate very much), maybe the best thing to do would be to forget about the timed stuff for the rest of this game, then reinstall everything again for a new game when you've finished. It does sound like things aren't quite right in your install.

That's kind of a copout on our part, sorry. :blush: But the reinstall cure-all is a lot easier for us than troubleshooting something when we're not certain what the conditions are.

4. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

Hmmm. It's not an entirely "normal" install, now that you mention it, although that was easy to forget... well, actually, it -is- normal, but... heh, let me explain.

Basically, I was playing with 5.0.4 up until the Big Three encounter after the moathouse... at which point, the Big Three encounter -didn't happen- due to a bug that has since been fixed. It was fixed a few days later, but by then I'd already been distracted by some other small shiny object ("Look! Divine Divinity for $10 at Target! Shineeee..."). So I stopped playing for a while. When I got back, I backed up all my save games and player files, I uninstalled ToEE completely, re-installed ToEE from scratch with 5.0.5, and then loaded up those save games. In 99.8% of respects it seems to have worked fine, but no, I can't swear that some of the issues can't be derived from that. You'd probably be able to tell me better if that could be the cause.

Anyways, yeah, I'm close enough to the end that I might as well finish, but I'll try and give it another go with a brand new game soonish. Or - didn't you say you were planning on another CMF update soonish? Maybe I should just wait for that?

Qwinn

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, I'll try to put one together in the next couple days. We're due anyway.

Thanks for your understanding. :)

p.s. - I would think that your saved games should have worked, but I guess I can't say for sure. When in doubt, start fresh. ;)

6. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

*nod nod* Sounds good. And don't feel rushed on my account... I'm looking forward to testing out the newest fixes recently available for Planescape Torment, heh.

Qwinn

7. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

Okay, utterly bizarre... just got the Scather reward, and I barely did anything new since my marathon trying to get it. Here's what I did:

Reloaded a game where about a month had passed since I rescued Thrommel. Then I went to the temple, fought one inconsequential fight on level 3 (jackalweres), picked up one of the prisoners on level 1, and then headed to Verbobonc. And on the way there, bam, the knight and his retainers show up.

To me, what this says is that, after passing the requisite amount of time (somewhere between 14 and 30 days, according to other posts), you need to descend to the temple dungeons and back up at least once... just running back and forth on the world map won't do it.

Anyways. Hope that information comes in handy for future people looking up this post. And sorry that I panicked, but I didn't want the game to be virtually over by the time I got the thing, heh.

Qwinn

8. Qwinn

Qwinn Established Member

BTW, I'd have to say that of all the things I've reported so far, the one I'd most like to see fixed in the new CMF is the one where the girl in Verbobonc's dialogue opening up her store is inaccessible, as reported (and at one point fixed) >here<.

Since I hadn't even gone to Verbobonc at the point where I reloaded my saves, can't see how that could be an issue resulting from the thing that I did, or even my failing to repatch the Priest Expansion or LAR&G mods.

Qwinn

9. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

You know, I've long suspected that the key to getting the Princess Tillahi and Price Thrommel rewards is that you not only have to travel through the wilderness the requisite amount of time, but you also have to revisit the exit you took them out in.

For example, if you rescued Thrommel by exiting the Temple through the "secret" exit on Level 3, you have to go to that map (the Burned Farmhouse or whatever) after the time has passed - then you will get the reward troops on your next Worldmap random encounter.

That's what has worked for me my last few play throughs, and on one of them I forgot and wandered back and forth for a couple of months with no luck - it was only when I went back to that map that I was visited by Thrommel's troops.

Our Host!