Please enlighten me on the details of some feats

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by mongerman, Mar 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. mongerman

mongerman Member

Dodge, whats the AC bonus provided, and the bonus is only against the 1st attack of a round, right?

Mobility, if you have really high tumble, its basically useless. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Spring attack, what exactly does it mean that you can move before and after an attack? You can move before an attack in any case, so the benefit is just repositioning after an attack. If I'm right, whats the big deal?

Lastly, on an unrelated note, where can i find rings of protection? Its not showing up on my wizard and cleric's craft item list.

TIA

2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

+1 to AC to a designated oponent. In ToEE it works against the first creature to attack you.
    It's the basic for lots of chain feats.

Not at all. It gives you +4 to AC when tumbling past oponents. If you have a really high tumbling skill, still the creatures could hit you if the do a better roll; then you'll get the +4 to AC in those cases.
    A must have for flanking rogues or mobile characters like Monks.

You can move 30 ft and attack. Don't you ever feel bothered when you had to move just a few feet to attack a monster and keep stucked in the middle of the enemies?
    Well, there you go; with this feat youn move, attack, and move again provided you still have movement left.
    For example, a character could move a few feet to attack an opponent let's say 15 feet, and move back again and reposition waiting for the same oponent at 15 feet (your 30 ft in total) to get your AoO. This can be done as many times you want ;) .
    Without the feat, you can only move the 15 feet to attack, and would have just left with the 5 ft movement.

If you use this with a glaive, then you'll have a really nasty combatant. Combine with dodge and mobility. The next step it's whirlwind attack.

Think on tactical posibilities ;)

3. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Not sure what half-knight is referring to with the high tumble thing and the enemy rolling well. Unless ToEE does this way differently a high tumble will all but guarantee you won't benefit from mobility. It's not meant for the tumblers. It's meant for the guys in full plate, so they can still move with some safety.

Rings are crafted with forge ring, not craft wonderous.

4. Half Knight

Sorry, my mistake. I just generated confusion. :doh:

Yes, when tumbling, you make a roll vs a standard DC. If you fail the roll, enemys get an attack of oportunity, that's when the AC bonus applies.

Still, isn't useless at all. You'll find yourself missing a lot of rolls, no matter how high your skill on tumble it's.
    You have to make rolls when you enter AND leave a threatened area, so it's useful for tumblers as well, since usually they benefit from light armors. Sometimes you'll need to tumble thru sveral opponents, and that's a LOT of AoO, eventually you will be missing one of them. Damned Bugbears.

5. mongerman

mongerman Member

Thanks for the info guys. Really useful. Another thing. I've activated expertise, and the penalty to attack rolls appear, but not the bonus to AC. Whats up with that?

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can we get some informed replies about this? As I mentioned recently this has been posted as a bug beffore but never confirmed. Does anyone use Expertise a lot and is able to authoratively say yea or nay?

7. Half Knight

Worked for me, pre-Co8. It works for me post-Co8. I'm running 5.04 cmf with all the mods and stuff and still works.
    Btw, some people also can't use the Defender ability, while it also works for me too.

I've use it with a Scather/Fragarach wielding characters, and it's abusive ;) (be it Vanilla or Co8)

But my install it's kinda weird, so you should wait tosee more feedback. I've seen some other posts that use it with Frag succesfully...

8. mongerman

mongerman Member

Ok I did abit of testing. The AC bonus does not show up in character screen, but it does show up during combat rolls

9. Lord Plothos

Works for me too. AC increased from 19 to 23 with 4 points put in.

(Guy still hit me, of course - best way to ensure getting hit in ToEE: be a PC with a high AC)

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah but his Barbarian Rage added 38 to his strength, so of course he would hit you ;)

11. Lord Plothos

Damn those giant lizard barbarians!!! They are a plague upon the good people of Hommlet!

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

12. raptor

raptor Title

Would just like to point out that Combat Expertise should require you to spend a full attack action to get the benefits. You should not get the benefits for doing something else like casting a spell. I know some have had trouble with realising that.

To be honest, I don't actuallyknow if it should also work on single attack (move/attack), it varies from near all the various computer games, and I can't recal exactlly how it was rom the book anylonger.

13. Lord Plothos

Quoth the SRD:

You just need to make an attack. You'll get some debate about whether it applies to things like trip attacks, but not about whether it works with just single attacks. It explicitly does.

Our Host!