Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Ted
    I have something similar to report. In the same area, I came in from the west, and killed the corpser before talking to the Hermit. When the bandits showed up, I killed all but one, who was KOed ( I had set my party to "Deal Non-Lethal Damage" and forgot to reset one of them to "Kill Mode" ). I then rested by the Hermit. Halfway through the rest, a second group of bandits showed up, and the Hermit attacked me !! Unfortunately I didn't save the game so I don't have a file to send you. I have also had the situation where if you don't kill the corpser beforehand, and you get to close to him while fighting another monster ( like the bandits ), the Hermit will attack you.

TRC

2. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

I've experienced tis bug a couple of times (with both the food and the song paths to bring the hermit, BTW). But it is not a crash: although you cannot see any dialogue options I have been able to leave the all dark screen by pressing either 1 or 2, can't remember. The game reacts as though you had chosen the correct option to finish a dialog, and it recenters around the druids and the party. It is inconvenient (and the first times I ctrl-alt-delled to get out of there), but seems to be not completely broken. When I pressed 1 or 2, it also completed the quest, and you could later on talk to the hermit, or the archdruid, and other NPCs present there... now that I come to think of it, every time I have had the 'fade to black' thing with the hermit I would later on get a bugged "maeri's vial"... might be unrelated, but its curious.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sounds like the Druids heartbeat is kicking in before the game is finished dealing with the fade. I'll just scrap the time passing - serves me right for being realistic. :no:

I'll have another look at the Hermit. Getting him to fight on your side is not easy - it essentially goes against what the engine is designed to do, which is a pity since we'd probably all like to see some co-operative combats like they had in BG.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Yes, it's GRATING ANGLO 82, again. I have no idea if this observation is useful or not...

I took my TN party all the way to the end of the game. (I had a blast!) When I tried to begin again with a slightly different TN party (1-2 characters different), the sewer entrance was missing. So I created a NG and, later, a NE party, and same thing, no entrance.
    In order to dodge reinstalling from scratch, I simply reapplied KotB, then cmf 1.02, on top of what I already had. This returned the missing entrance, but for the first time, I experienced the Druid map slow-down when I was near the trees, west of the grove, about half way up the map. This happened after any reload, not just the most recent. There was no problem to the south of this area.
    This was cleared up by a fresh install and a new start. (All this work to restart the game was no problem for an addict like me.)

5. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

ok, great game but I have a minor bug;
    I can't apply the knock spell to the desk drawer in the tavern. I can got the red circle to show up but then the 'wand curser' get a stop sign and by no amount of clicking can I get the spell to work. I did manage to use it quite easilly on the one in the wizard's tower though. I don't have a rouge in my party, (I don't usually, hate the damn things for some reasion.) so I don't know if it's pickable. I do know the problem is not that it's magically held because it said so on the dragon chest when I tried it on that.

It's only a minor thing I know; but if I don't find out what's in there the curosity will quite literally cause me to kill the cats.

6. Shiningted

Never used Knock in my life - no idea why it is doing that. I guess I'll look into it ;)
    Fixed that one. Turns out log book entries can't be longer than a certain, errr, length, or this happens.

"Its too long, it won't fit!" If I only had a dollar for every time... ;)

7. Shiningted

Ok, I had a long look into this and I am puzzled: there are no bluff attempts in the Spider Queens dialogue. Damn fine idea but I haven't dont it yet. Where did you see it, Jadefang?

8. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

Ermm...I have had the Bluff check in the Spider Queen's dialog, as well (it failed, and they attacked).

The same thing happened - no eggs were removed.

Basically, I picked up the Spider Eggs from their location (you know where) and then started dialog with the Spider Queen.

When she asked me to return them, there were various options. I chose the one with the Eye and yellow text (return all but keep one hidden).

9. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Not sure if this counts as a bug. Did the peaceful thing with the lizardmen and got one egg. Gave it to The priest of Wee Jas. When I went to the spider queen, had no eggs to give. She gave me the quest to recover the eggs, but since I had none, I killed her. Later, the bailiff did not recognize that my party had cleared the spider infestation (there was no posisble dialog relating to this quest). (changing the [edit: 'Back in the Sack'] quest to completed by console did not change this).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  10. Ecthelion

Ecthelion Lord ofthe Fountains

Bug updates:
    a) I, too, had the logbook CTD after cleansing the Hextor temple--glad to see that's going to be cleared up.
    b) My cleric can't turn anyone: it says "No charges left". I turned undead only once, I believe, and that was many days ago.
    c) I turned Milo the sorcerer into a sorcerer/bard. [Mostly just because I could.] In the final battle royal, it wouldn't let him cast any Bard spells because it said he had used all his spells for the day...even though he had never cast a Bard spell in his little life. The radial menu showed the spells, and showed them as available, and even allowed me to pick a target...but then the spell wouldn't fire. I had to use him as a magic missle target for the lizardman.
    d) I have verified that the 'calm emotions' bug was indeed a special bug related to that spell, not the old permanency bug. The characters have the halo on their headgear permanently, but they don't have the spell effects.
    e) Not sure if this is a bug in the game or a bug in my own memory. I thought someone told me that if I couldn't find the jeweller, Geoffrey might know where he was. The jeweller isn't home, and old Geoff doesn't seem to have any dialog options to help me find him. Did I imagine all this?

Played it all the way through, and now I'm starting back again from the beginning. Thanks again!

11. Shiningted

Geoffrey deals in jewels in te Jewellers absence ;) He'll give you a good price, and may even sell you a few.
    Ok, this is getting surreal. That stuff is from the end of the dlg file, completely seperate and indeed 'remarked out' so as not to work - just ideas I stuck at the end of the file after the proper working stuff for future development. (Anyone who cares, open data / dlg / 00441SpiderQueen.dlg and have a look at the end of the file). The game has apparently gone through, found that stuff jotted down at the end there, and parsed it into its proper place without ruining the file.

I swear, if you acrually wanted that to happen, you could not make the game do that if you tried: it would see the inconsisntencies in the line numbers and break somehow. :yawn:

Anyway, if the game is adding it, I guess I better make it work. Easy. And thanks for finding and confirming that guys :thumbsup:

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This is actually a lesser known but equally old bug. Various spell graphics sometimes stay around longer than they should. Perhaps the most common variant is the magic missile streaks that don't go away.

13. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Ok, another minor what I presume to be a bug that I've noticed;
    the sorcerer's helm when worn does not show up on the head, but rather inside the middle of the body. You cant see it when the pc is standing still, hidden by a robe, but whenever the character moves the helm pertudes out from one of the sides.

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Here's an oldie but goodie.
    I've upgraded my PC again, and this one is running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. DX10.

I can run TOEE vanilla, patched with Atari patch 2.

If I attempt to run KotB I get the infamous E002 error message, saying something is using the file.

I have McAfee anti-virus, it's turned off.

Any suggestions?

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@sirchet: Try this. Disable the Vista UAC, Vista User Account Control.

Open a command prompt and run regedit.
    Expand and drill down to this key in the registry.
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    Locate this DWORD value.
    EnableLUA
    Modify the value and assign it to have a numeric value of zero.

If you want to revert it, modify the value and change it to have a numeric value of one.

If you do not want to change the registry, download TweakUAC and select to turn off UAC in Vista. (TweakUAC)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
Our Host!