Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

A few more things

-Are you using quicksave?

-Are you using autosave?

-Ctd while trying to enter any building? or a specific one?

-Try to leave the keep, go to another map and pass time (or camp) there. Then return to the keep and try to enter/save/pass time

EDIT: try to save in clean areas, with no people. Avoid as much as you can saving/loading/passing time near the tavern to see what happens.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ahhhh, THAT cloak. Yeah that is going way ahead ;) Some of you may have already noticed bits of Guard's uniforms can be scavenged from here and there: if you can eventually assemble a whole one, you will be able to sneak into the Inner Bailey and Guard Towers. but not in the Demo :)

I'll have a look at the summoned monsters.

3. tkobo

tkobo Member

-Are you using quicksave? no

-Are you using autosave? no

-Ctd while trying to enter any building? or a specific one? every building tried

-Try to leave the keep, go to another map and pass time (or camp) there. Then return to the keep and try to enter/save/pass time
    tried no effect, made level 5 off of randoms though-shame i cant skin as one ecnounter had like 20 wolves :p

EDIT: try to save in clean areas, with no people. Avoid as much as you can saving/loading/passing time near the tavern to see what happens.

Tried clean areas, no go.Wasnt at the tavern.

I did find something that worked, though i dont know what exactly it is.
    I went in and changed the graphic settings bigtime.

I was playing at 800x600---- changed to 1200 by whatever
    I turned off all special options- AA, etc....

Now the game runs smooth again, and i dont crash. I even loaded up one of the save games that crashed, and it loads fine now.

Could this all be some graphics issue ?Perhaps something in some of the animations casuing crashs?

Is it normal for npcs and pcs to show as in combat stance when they enter a new area ?
    Ive noticed that alot of teh crashes show the npcs and pcs in combat stance right before the crash.

4. tkobo

tkobo Member

Might be some bugs here.

Ive noticed that ever since i cast the domain power of enlarge person on my fighters, they have extreme range even though the effect has long since faded.

For instance, my 2 fighters can atatck from the second row with longswords and fists.
    Yea, from the second row, i can reach out and punch foes.Its kinda funny.

Also foes defeated by non-leathal combat, just get back up and start to fight again after an hour or so.
    Is there some way to make them register as defeated,when beat this way ?

Damn, had one more but forget what it was.

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

That's why i suggest the clean areas. I personally think that it's something related to animations, as, so far, it's the only problems i've encountered.

But let's wait for der meister Ted, he's the expert.

Good tip about changing graphics, tho :thumbsup:

I've noted that i have a little lag in the northern woods; when the trees dissapear due to scrolling the screen, the lag is out.
    Maybe the size of some graphics it's causing problems. (trees are HUGE)
    (maybe, the animated fire that swirls on the background of fire nodes it's what causes the lags, the nodes have gargantuan animated maps)

Defeating an opponent with non-lethal dmage doesn't kills them, just knock-out them.
    Non lethal heals way more faster than normal damage (i don't remember well, but i think it's 1 point per minute), so after an hour they surely get up, and pretty angry...but without learning the lesson :evil_laug

6. tkobo

tkobo Member

Yes, but remember the pirate inToEE ? He knew he was defeated in the contest and gave up,finishing the quest.

Something like that tied to other npcs and combats would be nice.That tracker on the wall for instance.

Ive been playing since i posted and havent had a crash or issue since.
    Ive even passed time in the Inn, even at night , and saved there right afterwards with no problem what so ever.

Though the blonde still keeps changing her clothes and switching the rolling pin for the axe.

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Knocked out foes can be killed with a Coup De Gras instantly.

8. tkobo

tkobo Member

But i dont want to kill them, i want to defeat them non-lethaly.

You can do it with the tracker IF he doesnt wake up when your running to tell the guards hes down.If he wakes up, you have to knock him out again .

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Short answer, no with a but.

Long answer, yes with an if.... yes we want to introduce that sort of stuff, whereby monsters can be beaten into submission, surrender if overwhelmingly getting spanked, and will generally end combat at sensible times (no more turned undead running off into the distance and having to chase them down). Big job to do right, though.

Regarding Billy - if you don't butcher him, he has a part to play later in the game (not in the Demo though). A couple of parts to play, actually :) by rights, he should get up and keep swinging. Can't say I've ever failed to make it back to the door before he did, but I can see where that wuld happen.

Now, the CTDs - do i understand you have gotten something that looked like a corrupt buggy save to come back to life by changing the graphics settings? Wow! If anyone else has abandoned a game and started again, but still has their save, could they try that?

10. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

I will give it a try, as I have a number of saves that result in instant CTDs if loaded and then one moves to another area.

11. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

Ok, I tested it.

Changing the resolution had NO EFFECT on the CTDs of those saved games that have CTDs.

In other words, they crashed to desktop as they normally do.

And saving the game where there are no animations also had no effect on the CTDs.

12. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

I solved my CTDs!!!!!

I lowered the different settings under Options.

I am not sure which one "fixed" the game for me, but now the game works fine, with all the CTD saves!

W00t!

13. tkobo

tkobo Member

Sadly only one of the saved games works again.
    And sadly, the hermit area still wont work correctly.Those trees just overwhelm my system.

BUT on a very positive side,still no new crashes .

I cant find how to finish the swamp area with the lizard men and cave ,down by the spider area though. :(

14. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

A few points of interest:
    - Not only is raise dead broken, but remove disease cast by the cleric of heironeous also has no result (except for deducting 240gp);
    - the Shield of Hextor is worth less at the blacksmith when IDed... is that supposed to be like that?
    - wolf pelts are worth more to the blacksmith than to the provisioner. Is this supposed to be like this?
    - when crossing the market at nighttime, you can still hear the hammer hitting on the anvil, not sure if its all the time, but you definitely hear it on occasion;
    - having spider silk (the one found in the caves, can't recall for the one found in the forest) in an inventory reduced Dex by 2;
    - in the ruined tower quest, the bailliff asks the corporal to give you two archers to go finish off the mad wizard; when you speak to the corporal, dialog is broken (right after the corporal hollers upstairs for the two reinforcement to come);
    - had a CTD when my neutral party killed the hermit (decided to do so to see where the dialog with MAeri might lead, haven't tried to repeat it though). As soon as he takes killing damage, and before you move out of combat mode, the game froze, and then CTD; [EDIT: this seems to have been a 'one of' sort of thing, I replayed the encounter, and it went smoothly, including the cat's appearance...]
    - after completing the 'following in their footsteps' and 'aracnophobia' quests, you get the invitation to meet the castellan; when you speak with the gate warden, you are transported to the inner bailey, but not to where the notables are... the weird thing is that you can walk right through the walls to the place where the notables are...

The KotB team deserves amazing credit for this game, it is trully amazing, and has huge depth... I'm going to go ahead and play it again with a LN party. Just can't get enough. I'd like to highlight a couple of things that were really, really cool:

- the last combat!
    - the ruined tower riddle and the key 'subquest' (had a hard time thinking where I'd find a gift of water and shell...)
    - bardic knowledge, the fact it is integrated seemlessly into dialogue, great touch!
    - and lots of other cool stuff....

Bravo to all of you who were directly involved!

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

On my first start, played for a while, had a good time. Got the mad ranger quest from the bailiff, got some nice stuff...

Quit, restarted (several times) with slightly improved characters, got the mad ranger quest (lvl 3). His opponents are there, the quest is there, but no ranger ever again.

Maybe this is a bug, but what can I do to recreate that sweet first start? (KotB no patch 1.01)

1. Reapplied KotB to already built KotB 1.01 - NO
    2. Reapplied patch 1.01 to that - NO
    3. Rebuilt KotB using vanilla patch 2 from another machine via flash drive - NO
    4. Applied patch 1.01 to that - NO
    5. Copied and renamed ToEE 5.05, uninstalled, reinstalled vanilla, patch 2, KotB - NO
    6. Applied path 1.01 to that - NO

Maybe I've screwed something up on one of above. What should I try now? I want my blue chain!

(Should this have been reported on the bug thread?)

Our Host!