CDT at Grank's Bandits

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Bikerscum, Jul 23, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Bikerscum

Bikerscum Member

This is my 2nd run through the game, 1st time with Co8 patch (v303).
    Everything going great until I got to Grank's Bandits in the water node. When I engage them I crash to desktop as soon as one of the bandits gets his turn.

Any thoughts?

Please?

2. miserychick

miserychick Member

Hi. This is a known issue, and we havent figured it out yet. Feel free to post any more bugs you find in the Post Patch Bug Thread located here.

Thanks! :)

3. DavidY

DavidY Member

I can't tell you how to fix this properly, but I do have a way to get past the fight.

The CTD only happens on the bandit's turn - ie if you kill them all (grank himself won't crash) before they act, it won't crash.

A way you can do this is get an arcane caster who can cast phantasmal killer as many times as possible. Why phantasmal killer? Because the victim's friends don't react at all if they aren't on the screen at that time for some reason. You can pick them all off one at a time that way without the game crashing - as long as you cast PK at max range when only one bandit is on the screen. Repeat as required. ;)

It's a saveload fest - you'll probably have to rest a couple of times and they will make one of the saves occasionally, but it will work.

4. Iain

Iain Member

I believe this is caused when one of the bandits tries to drink a potion of super heroism. The first pair of bandits you see as you cross the bridge, and the bandit nearest Grank, each have this potion. Send a rogue in to pick pocket them (they'll be the first item you take) and no more ctd.

The other bandits drink either bull strength or haste, but I didn't have any problems with those. (I'm using Co8 3.0.3)

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Ah! Maybe we should simply remove these potions of super crash, er, heroism from the bandits' starting equipment - as a temporary solution, until our resident coding genius moebius has found a way to fix the potions. ;-)

6. moebius2778

moebius2778 Member Veteran

re:

Hah! No coding needed at all!

Okay, updates in temple.zip, as usual. No actual DLL changes needed. You're going to kick yourself over this one - the "Greater Heroism" spell doesn't actually exist. So I added data\rules\spells\558 - Greater Heroism.txt and data\scr\spell558 - Greater Heroism.py. It looks like the Greater Heroism spell effects are already coded, so that it should work. (Someone with a bard who can get the spell should probably test this. Or I could test it. I suppose.)

So, no more CTD, new Bard 5, Sorcerer/Wizard 6 spell, and Potions of Super Heroism should now work. Not bad for five minutes work.

*grin*

7. Iain

Iain Member

Sweet - very sweet! Atari should be paying you a retainer, Moebius!

I just tried it out, using Co8 3.0.4 with temple.zip copied on top (I assume that's how it's meant to be applied). At lev11 wizards can choose Greater Heroism, then scribe it and cast it from a scroll. Bards get to choose it at lev13, and cast it as normal.

It gives +4 Skill checks (tried with Sleight of Hand), +4 on to hit rolls, and +4 to saves (tested vs fireballs). It also gives bonus HPs, equal to the caster level.

8. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Re: re:

Ive imported this into the codebase.

Our Host!