Identify costs 100gps to cast????

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mycalle, Sep 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mycalle

Mycalle Member

i try'd to cast identify. a spell my sorceror knows and it said i did not have enough gp's.

Now i know if i tryed to get an item identify'd at a shop it costs money but where the hell would it cost money for my wizard to cast it ??

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

In fact, that's the cost for the materials suposedly used by the caster to identify the item...no matter who cast them it will cost 100 gp always , don't worry, later you would have so much gold that it will be no problem identify things...

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

The D&D 3.5 rules state that Identify uses up a 100gp gem as the material component. The ToEE engine reflects this by charging 100gp to cast the spell. That is how the rules are written, and Co8 is all about RAW. Some ways to get around it are: Read Magic (0 lvl spell) identifies scrolls and potions; Analyze Dweomer (6th or 7th lvl spell) will identify all items on up to 5 people. (Of course, by the time you're high enough level to cast Analyze Dweomer, like Half-Knight said, money is not a problem.)

4. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

You can also Craft a wand of Identify and it won't cost you per use. It'll be figured into the creation cost. I think your caster has to be level 3 to get that feat.

And like erkper said, Read Magic will work on scrolls and potions.

5. RICK-DOG

RICK-DOG Member

At 5th level a Wizard will get a bonus feat. Take craft wand and make sure you are able to cast identify. It will save you a lot of money until you can cast Analyze Dweomer.

6. zuluwarrior94

How, exactly, do you use Analyze Dweomer? I've tried it before with no results. What was I doing wrong?

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I've had trouble with Analyze Dweomer. The way I finally got it to work was this: It lists that it can be used on 5 targets, but I had a 4 man party w/o any NPCs. It wouldn't work when I just targeted my 4 PCs like Haste does. I eventually figured out that if I double-targeted one PC before selecting the rest, it works. Dunno why it is like that, but that's what works for me. It is pretty handy once you get it to function for you - no more "Is this one identified yet?" at the merchant's shop.

8. SAM

SAM Member

maybe shops should charge $150gold to identify?

otherwise they are kind of doing it for free. I could also see if they had "wholesale" on the materials as they are a shop.

9. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

SAM, the rules are pretty close to PnP 3rd edition/3.5ed. Take it up with Wizards of the Coast if you don't like it.

The only thing somewhat off still is that wand of identify is so extremely powerful, in terms of balance/economy, on top of being handy and available in the dungeon when you find a new item right then and there. I'll have to check and see if the wand version is indeed free of material component cost in PnP...

10. zuluwarrior94

Yes. When you craft a wand of identify you have to provide a number of 100 gp pearls equal to the number of charges. (In 3.5 a wand contains 50 charges. I think ToEE wands only have 20.) So the cost of crafting the wand should include 2000 gp for spell components.

11. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

You still can use potions without identifyng them..but the problem is that Poison has the same blue liquid :p

12. Mycalle

Mycalle Member

well i have no problem really with the 100gp for identify i posted becasue last time i was playing this mod it was free.....i'll look to getting that wand of identify :lalala:

13. SAM

SAM Member

Ithildur
    no problem with the rules here.

i just meant that if it costs a my sorcerer PC 100 gems for materials to identify, maybe the shops should charge the non-magical PCs a little extra.

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

your quite right there, IIRC lord spike had something to say about that in an old thread.

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I charge 500 for ID's. They drop the caster's Constitution significantly, making them weak & sick if they cast it multiple times. The wand is the way to go. Read magic is a fair substitute for potions & scrolls.

Our Host!