I'm having serious problems runnning

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by onomastikon, Aug 5, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

Maybe this is minor, but it's driving me crazy. Perhaps it points to a general pathfinding problem? Since I have no clue about programming, i'll simply sketch what I can see.

I started a new game and am in Emory Meadows; I found rainbow rock, and found that the guards are too much of a match for my new weaklings (I used a point-buy system and am getting trounced).

So I am trying to run away.

The first thing I notice is that even on these WIDE OPEN PLAINS with no obstructions whatsoever, I cannot get my chars to run, because apparently the game claims I CANNOT GET A STRAIGHT LINE -- in fact, the running green line is straight for a short distance, wonderful, and then 5 feet later it becomes twisted and red as the computer generates a wacky back-and-forth-weaving pattern; it is infuriating. I simply cannot run, even in these unobstructed, wide-open spaces with neither enemies or objects in the way.

The second thing I notice is that using "withdraw" seems to work better. Interestingly enough, however, no matter how far away I run with "withdraw", even to the edge of the meadows itself, I cannot leave, cannot call up the world map, and cannot end combat, even when the guards are far away and no longer in "battle pose" (I can see that when I finally ran back to them).

Any tips?

thanks much.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you might be trying to run over concealed undead.

3. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

Thank you.
    I had actually thought of that, and am almost definate that I am running back along the path I came (I can see a few corpses, in fact). Also, if I were trying to run over concealed undead, they should spring up and try to attack when I pass through. Ah well, just live with it I guess?

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Revert to an earlier save; or use the console to teleport someplace else.

5. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

Yes, sure -- reverting to earlier save would avoid the conflict, but not the problem with running, and I cant teleport since I cannot bring up the world map while in combat!

6. Lord_Spike

I didn't say that; I said to use the console to teleport.

7. adarius

adarius One man army.

When in game, press Shift+tilde (which is your ` and ~ key). As for how to teleport between maps...er...Spike...what is the teleport command for the console? =\

8. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

You should also try the "Flee Combat" option in one of your character's radial menu on their turn. If it's possible to escape, the game will put you somewhere else.

9. Lord_Spike

10. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

Um, thanks, and sorry about the mistake -- I simply do not know what you mean by "console". Is this some neat device which you programmers use?

I will try the shift-tilde thingy. That's the one which -- without the shift hit -- is reserved for "select all", right?

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yip, thats right

12. Lord_Spike

I'm certainly no programmer. However, there are things which people new to these forums would do well to do in order to find out more about what's available to them. Not to sound terse, but reading older posts is a good start. A lot of good info is there to be had for the reading. "The Console" is so widely discused here that I believed even newer members would have at least heard of it since many lurk here for quite some time before posting. The second thing newer members should do is use the search feature. If in the course of perusing the posts here you discover a term with which you aren't familiar (like the aforementioned Console), you can do a search for it using the menu bar above.

No need to be sorry on my account; I sincerely hope this helps. Every so often, there is an influx of fresh interest, and these things need to be said from time to time. Not trying to single you out either, it just seemed appropriate to say so given the circumstances.

:beer:

13. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

Thank you for that reasonable post.
    While I am somewhat new here and have lurked a lot, I am not entirely new to forums such as this; I like the people here. Sorry for being denser than usual.
    What is different about this forum, by the way, is that there is a lot of "technical" stuff addressed at a segment of its own target group; I do not feel like I am a part of the segment at whom these things are addressed. I am happy when I can get Windows applications to run as they should; I can discuss content, game balance, and any number of other issues, but not technical stuff. Hence, I (surely: mistakenly) perused posts which talked about things such as the "console" with insufficient vigor. To be honest, it is too much for me; installing Co8 5.0.4 was about the limit of my abilities.
    The other thing which makes this forum different from others -- and this is something which I HAVE noticed -- is its suboptimal "search" function. Quite frequently, when I search the boards (and I do this -- perhaps not very well, but I do, and I do try), I enter a suboptimal search term or terms, and my results are null; yet the forums require you to wait 1 minute before searching again. This is a huge demotivational factor to me. I have not encountered it on any other system.

In any case, before this thread gets way off track -- I posted primarily to inform people that there are some irregularities with moving; I thought this could be interesting to those who helped make this great mod pack what it is. I should have said that I do not require specific help in getting out of a game-situation (I simply ran back and fought, with huge losses -- no big deal), but rather with general game functionality.

Thanks much for your patience and friendliness.

14. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

The problems with pathing are well-documented. Attempts have been made to try and sort them out but it can still be a bit wierd.

All little bugs like this which are reported are filed away into the hive mind and if we spot them ourselves (and can fix them), we do. ;)

The 1 minute delay to the search is so as not to stress out our kind host's server. But I can understand it gets frustrating if you get a 'null' result because you have entered a term which doesn't work.

Think of 'withdraw' as a way of getting out of combat so you can heal up before re-entering it. Combat sometimes just doesn't stop though (although it can do if you press 'c' and get lucky).

Our Host!