What about this?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by onomastikon, Jul 13, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

OK, I restarted under a fresh install of Co8 5.0 with modpack 5.0.4 and everything seems just dandy now. But do you mind me asking about these things in this thread here?

- Turning undead: Since this seems to be the only feature of the game whose rolls are not visible in the rolls history, I have no way of telling if it is simply highly idiosyncratic or potentially broken. First, there are times when it appears to do nothing (I turn, my 2nd level cleric proclaims something suitably dramatic, and the nearby ghouls watch unimpressed). Nobody is affected. At times, however, it appears to "work", such as when it affected a bunch of zombies and they all ran away. Interestingly enough, it seems to affect either none or all. At other times, on the other hand, it *appears* to affect some targets -- e.g., the ghouls -- because I get the reading "ghoul cowers!", and the ghoul, indeed, has a little aura around it and the flag "turned". Yet the ghoul who is supposed to cower will attack as usual, and incur no penalties.

Thanks much!

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Undead are much more powerful in 5.0.4. A second level cleric might get the skeletons, but the others are hard to say. I always use a cleric of Pelor and the sun domain which gives you GreaterTurning. Turning undead has always been kind of shakey, but the higher the CR, the harder they are.

3. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

OK thanks for that reply; so the game rolls vs a CR which we cant see?

4. wizgeorge

There is a download at the WoTC website that's printable that gives the 3.5 spec's for everything. The hp for most monsters have been up-graded in 5.0.4.

5. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Turning undead is based on HD, not the monsterss actual HP (according to 3.5 rules). There are two rolls made, the first determines the maximum HD of an undead you can effect with that turning. The second determines the number of HD turned, with the closest being affected first. If your cleric level equals at least twice the HD of an undead turned it is destroyed instead. Why these rolls do not show in the "Rolls History", I don't know.

6. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

Ah ok thank you. Odd, since almost every roll is seen -- but good to know it is not random, thanks.

What about this, however, as a new question?

I have only gotten as far as the Moathouse, and hence I have only encountered one enemy spellcaster, Lareth I think he was called. I noticed this:
    - When even entirely surrounded, he never incurred a single Attack of Opportunity by any of my chars. The rolls history showed him making a Concentration check, always invariably against a DC of 15 (which was easy for him, since he had combat casting and lots of bonuses).
    I thought you made a concentration check to see if your spell gets disrupted when you take damage (from most noteably an AoO when you try to cast when others threaten you), not to avoid an AoO altogether, as seemed to be the case here. Also, he made that roll only once, not 4 times for the 4 chars surrounding him. The DC was always the same.
    I notice my chars do not do this; if they try to spellcast when in an enemy threat range, they always incur an AoO.
    What is going on?

7. Kirnon Bhale

Kirnon Bhale Member

Hi, this is a nervous first or second post.

Lareth is undoubtedly casting defensively to avoid the AoO's you can see this for your spellcasters in the options tab on the radial along with fighting defensively and selecting to deal non-lethal damage. Just remember to untick it when your spellcasters are not in a Melee situation.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  8. onomastikon

onomastikon Member

Thanks very much. I didnt see that. Thank you!

Mind me asking these follow up questions?

1. I recently acquired the trait "Craft Wondrous Item", and can see quite an impressive list of things I can make, only 3 of which I can currently afford, sadly enough. I did make one of them, just to test. Some questions.
    a. This Brooch of Shielding lets the user cast Shield, it has a duration of 50; are the charges limitless? I cannot see a limit on them, but that would seem odd....
    b. Can anyone use the Brooch, or does it require a Use Magic Item skill?
    c. Is there anywhere I can see a description of what many of these items actually DO? Some of them have a description, but many don't -- is there a list somewhere?

2. When I killed Lareth, I got his Club of Striking. I can use "charges", from 1 to 3, when I strike with it; so far, I have used it about 4 times, each with 2 charges, it helps quite nicely. But how many charges are there in an item? When I shift-right-click on it, it does not tell me how many charges are left. Am I missing something? (If there are unlimited charges, why should I choose from 1 to 3?)

3. I also found some scrolls on Lareth whose spell and spell effects I fail to find in the list (Help / Spells), e.g. "Extraplanar Chest". I tried using the scroll to test what it is, itr fails to be used on some chars and succeeded on another, but when it succeeded, I failed to see any effect. Also, my wizard cannot "copy scroll" with it. Is this just some freak?

4. Some quests seem to be stuck. E.g. I met this Black Jay chap, and even found the guy who was planting Hemlock in his farm, and I bullied him so that he said he would leave and never come back, but Black Jay doesnt seem impressed. Also, the Miller's Assistant wants to join some sect, but the Miller has no desire to talk to me about that, not even with my Diplomatic char -- does this depend on skills I cannot see?

thanks so much, wise and patient people!

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

You can copy the scroll - your wiz probably flunked the roll. You need to use the little box which appears in your inventory via the radial menu after the spell is cast.

Hmm. I'd say this was due to your character's skills and/or not actually having the relevant quests yet or spoken to the right people. Having the extraplanar chest would rule out fubar install and I know these particular quests aren't bugged as I've just done them.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  10. wizgeorge

It really helps if someone in the party has a charisma of 18 and good diplomacy skills or some of the quest don't happen. Like the Erliter/miller thing. Good bluff and intimidate skills help also. You can always come back later after level-up and try again.

11. Spellman

Spellman Member

Does charisma in and of itself affect these things, or does it affect them only indirectly by affecting the character skills like diplomacy?

12. wizgeorge

On the inventory page at the top there is 3 buttons. The left one shows the skills and the modifiers. Charisma affects diplomacy. Some situations require certain skills, like intimidate. If it's not high enough, then you don't get the dialouge for the quest/encounter. Ex: my cleric has a charisma of 18 and it adds +4 to his diplomacy skill(7) to make 11. He always connects. This is really important when dealing with npc's. Charisma also affect intimidate the same way.

13. Spellman

Spellman Member

Thanks for the clarification. I was just wondering whether I should be worried that my 'diplomat' has only a charisma of 16. But he's level nine with good diplomacy and other such skills, so there's no problem then. (Btw, I never even found Black Jay, but I've already saved the two people I was supposed to save, so I guess that doesn't matter anymore... Or do you get some interesting side quests from him?)

14. wizgeorge

In the ToEE root directory, there is a map of Hommlet that shows where everyone is at. There are a couple of quests. The map is printable.

15. Spellman

Spellman Member

Thanks for pointing that out! I was at one point going to flag some of these places, but I figured I didn't need the headache just yet.

Our Host!