Corrupted Save Files

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by intothevoid, Jul 14, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. intothevoid

intothevoid Member

When I try to load one of my saves I get a message saying it can't load because it is corrupted. I did some research and found that quick saves are rather susceptible to this and it was a quick save I am having trouble with, however the auto save and one of my normal saves is also showing up as corrupted. I do have one other save that does work but it is so far back I might as well start again (I really do not want to do this). Is there a way to repair corrupted saves?

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

no there isn't.

3. intothevoid

intothevoid Member

Now my old save that did work is corrupted, whats going on? And that wasn't a quick save.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

It happens. Save often and in several slots. Only way to try and avoid it as eventually you will get back to an uncorrupted save.

As for why it happens, we don't know. All we know is that saving in combat, autosave and quicksave are particularly good ways to increase the frequency of a corrupt save. But I had 4 of my 7 save games corrupt on me last week and I don't do any of the above.

Sadly, one of the joys of the game which crops up from time to time. It's not particularly common but it isn't that uncommon either.

5. intothevoid

intothevoid Member

Well I did have multiple saves, and it got all of them which is really annoying me. Even one that did work, stopped working after one overwrite.

6. Zebedee

Aye. It happens and I feel your pain. If you get a save which is uncorrupted in such circumstances, it's often better to make a brand new save from the reloaded game. Or two or three, just in case.

No help for you other than to commiserate with you :(

7. intothevoid

intothevoid Member

Well, thanks for the help, at least I can stop scouring the internet for a solution :thumbsup:
    But yeah thanks.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are you using Co8 5.0.0? If so, did you by chance update your installation with our 'CMF' patch, version 5.0.3 or later? Those patches contain an integral system file that is incompatable with saved games based on the 5.0.0 release. IIRC, attempting to load such a save after updating will result in an error message similar to what you report.

9. intothevoid

intothevoid Member

No, I only downloaded the official patches from the Atari website. But thanks anyway.

10. Spellman

Spellman Member

Well, install the Co8 modpack and you should have a brilliant reason for starting over. I have been playing one game recycling about twenty save slots, and haven't had any problems, except for infrequent crashes. I guess I should start saving even more frequently and into new slots only, just to be on the safe side (and start deleting the old saves at a similar rate to keep everything uncluttered).

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I only ever save into new slots - and delete the old saves as I feel the need - and I've only ever had one corrupt save file.

12. intothevoid

intothevoid Member

Well I decided that since I will have to start again I will give Ironman mode a go, however as far as I know there is only one save slot used for that, do Ironman saves get corrupt?

13. Spellman

Spellman Member

It's all very mysterious if you ask me. The ironman uses a kind of autosave when you go to a new area, so it might corrupt more easily. But then again, who knows.

14. Zebedee

Don't use the game's ironman mode.

15. intothevoid

intothevoid Member

Well it happened again, I did Ironman mode this time and it got corrupt. What is odd is that both times it was just after levelling up to level 5.

Our Host!