custom portrait crash only on certain situations

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by grimbergen, Apr 18, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. grimbergen

grimbergen Member

Hello, I'm trying some custom portraits, and they seem to CTD the game on when used in certain situations - basically, if i have more than 1 party member and I try to view the inventory.

Otherwise, the game runs fine.

I can have full access to the game/char inventory screen if I only have 1 char with custom portrait.

All of my portraits seem to work fine by themselves (i.e. during char creation or if i only have 1 party member).

I've tried diff combinations of my ports and they all do the same - when only 1 char has it, it's fine. otherwise, CTD.

any ideas? thanks :writersbl

I'm running 5.0.0, and I'm just "overriding" existing portraits by naming my new tga's the same as those i find in the mes file and then putting them in the portraits dir (but I don't edit the mes file).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you don't have a 1 pixel wide black border around your portraits maybe

3. grimbergen

grimbergen Member

Thanks for your suggestion.

actually, i figured it out after taking them out one by one -- apparently my grey versions were not correctly saved as RGB. that would explain why it works when there's only 1 char in the party, since the grey ports are not called up by the engine.

but i don't have the 1px border and they seem fine so far... been able to get past the starter caravan and into homlet.
    :dance:

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, your grey's were probably saved as 'greyscale' rather than full colour. That'd do it.

Or were you just saying that? :scratchhe

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I would've thought that it would've used the grey portrait when it wasn't your turn in combat - or did you never fight anyone?

6. grimbergen

grimbergen Member

No -- I didn't get that far. Basically was just at the starting caravan, and when you barter it goes to the inven popup where it greys out the other party members besides the currently selected. So of course it only greys them out if you have more than 1 member, and so that's why i was able to get it to work initially with only 1 person in the party.

Shiningted -- yes, when i figured out that it was the grey portrait, i realized it was the greyscale mode that was causing it to crap out. I didn't realize TGA recognized greyscale vs rgb... thought it was the same encoding, and just a photoshop setting.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I only know because I have made that mistake myself ;)

I also discovered the game doesn't like 256 colour tgas. Found that out the hard way.

Our Host!