What did I do wrong? [SPOILER]

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by HarperRanger, Feb 6, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. HarperRanger

HarperRanger Member

I went to rescue the Prince, when I got to him, he was a vampire and attacked me. So I killed him. I rescued the elf chick, in a NG party. WTH!?!?!?

And now that I killed him and have all his gear, what do I do with it? I didn't want to kill him but didn't have a choice...

Harper Ranger

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Re: What did I do wrong?

Add a spoiler marker to this thread.
    Hmmm I don't know what happened but I saw Thrommel as
    a vampire, I even was preparing to battle and in the same moment
    he changed into a human. Maybe you should try to dispell him because
    its an illusion cast upon him?

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

He shouldn't just attack you.

Is the Elf chick Kella (or whatever her name is)? She should respond to Druids no matter what your alignment, for memory (I have never spoken to her, funnily enough).

4. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

Yeah that is kind of strange I have never once had the prince attack me. I just walk up to him and he would start talking. Kella isnt too bad of a druid.

5. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

The way I remember it, certain characters (whether by race or class, or of a certain proficiency with a skill check) will be able to see right through the illusion covering Prince Thrommel. If he tries to attack you, you either have to dispell the magic around him, or force-talk to him. (I do the latter, and it always works for me.) Well, if worse comes to worse, since you already killed him, you can run back and see if his body's still there to use Resurrect on him.

The reason he attacks you is because the party automatically enters Combat Mode, since they see Prince Thrommel as being a vampire, and therefor, an enemy. The reason he attacks is because, come on, if a group of people came by and attacked you with no explination, would you just stand there and be slaughtered, or fight back? ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  6. Shiningted

Hmmm... not sure about all that, S_D.

The 'Vampire' thing was merely a change to the description.mes to reflect something in the PnP module. Certain NPCs like Elmo and Zaxis will recognise Thrommel, others like Zert and Meleny will go 'ugh a Vampire, kill it!' but I haven't known combat to automatically initiate in the past (and I have been in there many times for testing purposes, though not with NPCs in tow).

HarperRanger, what NPCs did u have in your party?

7. ShadowDragoon

That's odd. Combat mode always starts as soon as I find Thrommel, every single time I've played through that part of the game (at least a dozen or so). I haven't used any NPCs in my last few play-throughs... I just kinda assumed that it was structured the way I explained above. :shrug: I mean, it makes sense and all.

8. Shiningted

Really? Well, I take it back then - maybe there has been some alteration to him by one of our cunning modders.

9. HarperRanger

HarperRanger Member

Sorry for not tagging the "Spoiler"

I don't have any NPC's in the party. Just the 6 in my original group. All level 10.

I think I figured out what I did. It was real late (as usual) and I think I just saw "VAMPIRE" and went into attack mode. I had my ranger/rogue with the invis ring checking out area's and saw the vamp and attacked it with an invis sneak attack and that started the battle. I think that's why the Prince never changed.

After I looted everything and saw the item tags, I pieced it all together.

Opps big time. Now I can't get that part back. I saved over it already not thinking.

Not sure if I'm going to start over again or just bust my butt to get the money to craft stuff.

Thanks for the advise guys.

HR

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Oh, Come on!

Maybe you shouldn't be the one re-evaluating what you're posting, Ted. I mean, he's even got you second guessing yourself. I don't think CtB would have rolled a "fix" like that into an update without everyone else here knowing about it, clever modders or no. Now, this will have to be checked, I suppose, to the detriment of other work that needs to be done. Just because this pretender offered a half-assed guess into what someone's problem was to up their own image in the forum.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Okay, there is nothing in the script and dialogue file for Prince Thrommel that would cause combat to be initiated, except in one case.

Here's the one case, the exception. When a party talking with Prince Thrommel demands he surrender fragarach and, again - a second time, a party demands he give up the sword, the game sets the party alignment to lawful evil and combat begins through dialogue.

The vampire illusion is a simple ruse, a game-play mechanics ploy. There is no no code to make a change or do anything. It's a simple way to get people playing the game to mistakenly attack Prince Thrommel with their party. Again, there is no script or code to force combat.

[EDIT]
    fyi - For future reference, there would be something else going on that would cause Prince Thrommel to attack a party like casting an area effect spell in the room where he is sleeping, attacking Prince Thrommel, etc...Bottom line, the Prince does not just attack.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  12. Shiningted

I don't wanna exacerbate this, but I gotta say, Spike, if ShadowDragoon says it happens like that every single time he plays through, I'll take his word for it.

It does seem to be a lone voice though if HarperRanger initiated combat himself. Anybody else had this happen? If not, I don't think we need to waste time testing - folks should just be aware of it, and sneak in and chat to Thrommel if they want to avoid it.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hmmm, Ted, you say you haven't been to see Thrommel with NPCs before? I wonder if this could be some odd variation of the NPCs-cause-combat-to-begin bug with Paida. IIRC though, I've been in there with Elmo and Zert a time or two, and Elmo does his "Prince Thrommel, the bestest hero . . . !" routine, while Zert does his "Hey we should kill that guy before you figure out he's Prince Thrommel" routine, both combat-free.

14. ShadowDragoon

Don't start, Spike. I was making an assumption on why it happened, based on the fact that it did happen. That assumption was perfectly valid reasoning, and I'm tired of you getting your jollies by arguing with everything I say! I get that you're a good modder. Good for you. You've done far more for this community than I have. I'm not going to argue that fact. And I also get that you're a moderator. Once again, good for you. But frankly, I think the power started going to your head a long time ago.

I honestly don't know why my game automatically starts combat with Thrommel. Maybe my install was bad. It's been known to happen, and all kinds of things get screwed up with bad installs. Maybe I was just in bad with one of Thrommel's factions, so he attacked me because of it. I don't know. I'm just saying, it's happened to me, and I offered an explination that at least made some sense. You have another explination for what happened? Go for it. I'd love to hear it.

15. Shiningted

Well I have on occasion ;) but that does make sense as a possibility - I used to get that bug with Meleny and the Earth Temple all the time.

Well I dare say testing is needed, but its not something we have to go out of our way to do. Perhaps people might like to keep it in mind next time they are in that area, and post some feedback here? (If this thread hasn't been locked by then...)

Our Host!