Temple quests

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Great Snook, Jan 2, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

I'm just about to finish level one of the temple. I entered the room with the Earth leader and he started a dialogue (strange since I slaughtered everything else on the level) and he is asking me to some quests.

I'm curious as to if people do the quests? Are they worthwhile? or should I just continue my killing rampage? I'd hate to kill someone and miss out on something later.

2. Larech

Larech Member

Depending upon your alignment,ie wether or not you have a paladin in your group, if you've not ran the temple quests before by all means go for it. You can slaughter the clerics afterwards.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I would say the majority of people do the quests, yes, then just kill them all afterwards. That is, after all, what the game ultimately boils down to - quests and combats.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

it doesn't matter to much, you can always play again some other time

5. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

Hah, I fall in to the category that I hardly ever have a chance to play a CRPG twice. About the only one that I can think of that I have played twice was Wizardry 8 and that was a couple of years apart.

Real life (wife, kid, work) occupy most of my time and playing is just a hobby. If I'm lucky I will finish TOEE by April.

6. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

I almost never bother with the Temple quests; they're not in character for the parties I usually play, and most of them aren't all that interesting. That said, you can do the quests and then kill the quest giver afterwards, or play them through with whatever RP justification makes sense to you.

7. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

I let the party do the quests, and after that (still before level 10), I let my Paladin pray for forgiveness of her sins.
    Gladly the cleric of St. Cuthbert's church forgave her !

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

So; it's okay to wantonly disregard the tenets of faith to achieve a quest in furtherence of evil people (and their evil schemes) & have your paladin to fall from grace because you know forgiveness can be bought from the local religious big-wig. This is called hypocrisy (and meta-gaming). Your character wouldn't do it, but you the player have knowledge beyond that of your character.

Some style. You should try it without violating the religious convictions of your character before you try preaching about "style". This is also called hypocrisy. If I were DMing this, you'd not be able to buy your way out of it.

9. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Member

Just to play devil's advocate...

"I only did it because I believed that the best way to defeat the powerful evil in the temple was to support it's own feeding upon itself."

That was the tack I brought up in my own interpretation of the approach with a good party...

FR

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I might buy that if they weren't supposed to take a direct approach in confronting evil & be outspoken advocates of the power of their deity in overthrowing said evil. They are granted powers to use, and to be an example for others to follow, and to defend those who cannot defend themselves. They would directly confront bad guys, and say who sent them to do it; not play their games...especially if it means (and it does, in this case) doing things in the service of evil beings so that they can prove their loyalty or whatever. They must never take service from an evil master, let alone associate with evil people. It's a violation of their beliefs & sevice they've already taken with the good deity. When they do, they fall.

11. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Member

Okay... I concede the paladin point. As for other good parties that is the tack I have used in the past.

I do not, however, agree with the games abuse of the system that they show in the temple tower or the random encounter with the good party in the wilderness where the opposition is given three rounds or more to buff before a chance is even given to attack them...

FR

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The Temple Tower pretty much assumes you have buffed before going in, since everyone does. If you haven't, and you are overmatched, you should use your social skills to extricate yourself, and come back later.

The good party you encounter on the road have surprise :p

13. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

So I decided to just slaughter the buggers after a very amusing dialogue.

Now I'm curious as to what to do next? I have cleared level 1 and now I'm thinking about leaving and going to Verbobonic to see what that is about (Edit: I also just realized I should probably head back to Hommlett at some time to check out the moat house again). When I get back should I just do level 2 or does it make more sense to do the ruined house, or the broken tower (or both first). Any recommendations?

14. Larech

Larech Member

Clear lvl two before heading out to the big V, otherwise lvl two becomes a bit tedious. (you will overpower it by a few pc lvls)

15. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

Oops, too late now.

Our Host!