Killing Iuz on Co8 5.0.2

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by pipboy, Nov 5, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. pipboy

pipboy Member

Is that possible? I havent been able to hurt him much and he killed off my paladin in one turn!
    My party members have no cheats... they were all around 12 lvl (lower lvls to mage, clerig and melany because they craft stuff) ...my pally 27 cha smiting evil with a +3 holy sword TH: 28 AC: 34 buffed as much as possible missed all attacks
    elmo using prince thrommels bastard sword was the only able to hit him for real.
    So StCutbert appeared as usual...

Afther that i killed off really easily all demons, destroyed the damn orb and killed the lady of fungi to beat the game.
    Question is: Isn't Iuz too overpowered on your mod? I remenber killing him not much hardly, even with a dozens times weaker team, years ago on my first atempt on toee.

2. DrakeEB

DrakeEB Member

I've been wondering if he can be killed too. Has anyone ever done it? I was thinking of messing around with the console and making a party of 6-8 pcs at level 20 and hook them up with some nice gear. Iuz has an AC of 40ish and SR of like 35. So, you really would need a couple of fighters or barbs with high atr to take him down since he doesn't seem to cast spells. Would a level 20 wizard or Sorc with spell penetration and greater penetration be able to hit him?

So far in the few attemps i had fighting him he will target a pc and just keep attacking him/her till they die. My fighter/pally had 200 hps buffed and stoneskin on and he killed him in one round.... I don't think he has a set number of attacks per round. Or does he? In the vanilla version you could only get to level 10 and the devs made the encounter to be unbeatable. It's really just to trigger St. Cuthbert for story and roleplaying reasons. So i wonder if you really have enough time to kill him before Cuthbert comes or he kills all your party because he can attack over and over.

3. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

I have actually kill Iuz once and I had to use the console to beef up, strength to 100, dexterity to 100, and constitution to 1250. That is the only way you will ever beat him. It still took several rounds and he did 655 points of damage to my paladin in one round of attacks, which were many many hits. Not too sure how many, but it still hurt. :eyebrow:

Oh yeah ... all of my characters were at level 20.

4. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I have killed Iuz legit (no cheating) in the latest 5.0.1,, you need to have a couple high level (mine were 19th) fighters that are CG with Scather and Fragarach,, pre buff by casting stone skin on them like 10 times each,, when one of them loses all their stone skins, cast greater inv. on him and then Iuz will attack the other one,, mean while have a cleric with the staff of life just standing their to heal them.. First though,, I killed all the other creatures before I attacked Hedrack, so then it would be just Iuz, Hederack and my party of 4,, (2 fighters, 1 cleric and the other can be either a sorcerer or a wizard),, When I killed him,, he basically just killed himself by attacking my guy with the Scather in the round before Cuthbert shows up.. If you go thru the game with 4 characters they get much more exp. and will be high enough level to kill Iuz.. If any of you try this combo, let me know if it works for you also,, and good luck.. :dance:

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

that is cheating, well atleast using an exploit created by humble NPCs

6. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Dont need to cheat to get fragarach,, he was unconcious ;),, thats my story and Im sticking to it :aaaa: , At least that is how I use to get items from NPCs in the original game..

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah it can be done legally if Thrommel dies in battle (lets face it, with Fragarach he's got a good chance of being on point!), you nick the sword then raise him and send him on his way for the reward. But since "grateful for resurrection and rescue" or not the modular Thrommel is still going to rise, dust himself off and ask for his sword back (and so most DMs would play him, I reckon), I think its a bit of an exploit.

But meh, people can play the game how they want I guess :shrug:

8. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I have half a mind to fix it that when Thrommel leaves the party he takes Fragarach with him, no matter who has it at the time. That way you either kill him and take it, you keep him in the party, or you lose it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  9. Tahl Stormbringer

Tahl Stormbringer Slayer of the Malign

In the Original version of the Game Iuz fell to my party of 5. I had a Barbarian/Fighter, a Cleric, a Druid, a Bard and a Sorcerer. i did have Fragarach (thrommel died in battle and i had no idea he could be rezzed for a reward).
    I tanked my fighter/Barb to the hilt with everything i could put on him and waded him into battle, letting my cleric stand behind him and spend the entire battle casting the varied heals from spells/scrolls/wands.
    My Druid sent his growthed and buffed bear in to kill off underlings, while my sorcerer used the wand of chain lightning repeatedly to devastating effect.
    My bard was used for buffs and the oft forgotten Bard music, and occasional healing spells when the cleric couldn't keep up with demands....

In the 5.0.0 version (which is the one i'm playing now) i've only just entered the temple, but I am at level 11 already :). Oh, btw Verbobonc is a great little side adventure which i enjoyed tremendously

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  10. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Haven't faced Iuz yet in the Co8 version. In earlier versions, he died quickly against Holy Axiomatic Frost weapons. I'm not sorry to hear he's had a bit of an upgrade.

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

This isn't that bad of an Idea. Fragarach is a unique aligned sword, and if within sight of the Prince, he merely need speak, and it comes to his hand. It would not function for anyone else, IMO. As far as personality (of the sword) I know of none; however, it ought to be useless to anyone but him, really. The party is rewarded with Scather for helping re-unite the Prince & the sword; everything else is a cheat.

12. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

That is a cool idea, I like the game being a little more difficult. Something else you may want to take a look at, is when the knights appeared with the reward with the retainers, there were 2 of them,, Instead of parlaying with them, I attacked them,, got a scather from each, then raised one of them from the dead,, parlayed with the one I raised and was knighted.. Just something you may want to investigate.. So actually when I killed Iuz,, I didnt even need Fragarach, as I had 2 Scathers...

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I say 'make it so.' We have a duty to eliminate exploits that are inconsistent with the module, after all. The console is always available for people determined to cheat.

14. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Absolutely Gaer. Possible outcomes inconsistant with any imaginable role playing scenario should be treated as bugs when encountered. There is no way within the scope of this module that Thrommel will walk away from his sword.

That's not to say that there couldn't be a way for him to give it to somebody, but that would involve scenarios far beyond this game. Since nobody is saving his wife's life or ransoming his mother from a slave galley, it's best IMO to eliminate the ability to both gain a reward for rescuing him and steal a treasure from him on par with the crown jewels in the same interaction.

Our Host!