Monk/Fighter

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Steyr, Oct 26, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Steyr

Steyr Member

Although I fully appreciate roleplaying and usually style my characters with roleplaying in mind, at times I also enjoy seeing how I can get the most out of the rules in regard to combat effectiveness. To that end, I've just completed the game with power play in mind and I tried ditching heavily armoured fighters completely, in favour of unarmoured (but heavily armed) Monk 1 / Fighter X.

This proved to be the most effective frontline fighter in the game (IMO). With great stats and maxed out crafting an AC of 35+ is easily achievable as well as a high tumble letting you roam freely all over the battlefield. Damage dealing comes from the fighter levels, but the monk's stealth skills (keep pumping these up as cross-skills through the fighter levels) lets him get right up close to the key bad guys before combat begins - a great way to neutralise the spellcasters in the first round. Also, there's no need to carry around additional blunt weapons for those oozes - just put your greatsword away and go bareknuckle with your flurry of blows.

Also, the above multiclass makes a great companion for a pure rogue. The two of them can sneak in together so that the rogue has protection at hand when he initiates combat with his sneak attacks. (And as everybody knows, a high level rogue with a +3 Holy Frost composite longbow is an awesome way to begin combat - 170 points damage on those nasty demons before they get the chance to sneeze).

My party of 2 of the above Monk1/Fighters, a pure Rogue, pure Cleric, Fighter1/Wizard (with bow feats) and Fighter1/Druid (again with bow feats) waltzed throught he game with relative impunity. Many of the key battles were over so quickly that I had to deliberately go easy on some enemy so that they would get the chance to use their dialogues. The demons in the nodes and even a full strength Zuggtomy were a complete walkover.

2. TOEEHamster

TOEEHamster Member

Kinda boring when your overpowered party takes down the balor before it can act. Next time only 1 enchant per weapon.

3. Steyr

Steyr Member

Nah, it was fun for something different. :)

Our Host!