Crafting Weapons with Opposing Elements

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Osaka, Aug 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Osaka

Osaka Member

I've been looking through the forums and can only find what I already knew, that you can create a icy burst, flaming burst, icy burst longsword. My question is how does the weapon react when you run into a salamander for instance? The icy endowment would obviously be appropriate, but since the sword also has a fire attribute is that aspect ignored or does it hinder damage?

Does mighty cleave count as 2 points when determing the EEL of the weapon? So if you wanted the holy keen great cleaving icy burst shocking grasp flaming burst weapon is the max you can make it +1 or +3?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

since salamanders are immune to fire damage, they wouldn't take any damage from flaming burst, they would take extra damage from the icy burst though (they're especially vulnerable to cold based damage).

The max EEL of crafted weapons is bugged, you can craft weapons above EEL 10 and actually gain money and experiance from crafting weapons over EEL 10 (Lord Plothos has an extensive crafting guide detailing how to exploit this bug here.)

3. Osaka

Osaka Member

I'd read about the bug exploit before, while not trying to exploit it was just wanting to make those weapons now that I had enough cash to do so. Guess it was a house rule for our DnD group that if you cast a fireball for example on a salamander it would heal it rather than just do nothing.

The whole EEL exploit/bug is a real bummer, up till then I could honestly say I'd earned every copper piece and paid for the xp to make all my items. Though I've already crafted my weapons, I wonder if I were to have added the enchantments one by one if the xp/$$ won't go crazy. Also found when you get past the EEL of 10 and haven't truncated the weapon name your game will crash.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

yeah, that's the other crafting bug, if the weapons name is too long the game doesn't like it much...

So much for my "+3 Holy, axiomatic mighty cleaving keen spiked chain of flaming burst, icy burst, and shocking burst" idea ;)

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

When it starts getting long like that, I give it a real name. Something shorter that suits its abilities. In the case of what you've described, I think something like "The Demon's Scourge" would work.

6. Dragon_Awakened

Dragon_Awakened Wandering Warrior

When I craft weapons I keep in mind what I'm facing off with from the point where I crafted the weapon to the end of the game. I typically rig the weapon with the following factors:
    Icy Burst

The 1d6 from the Frost and Icy Burst both seem to combine so count it as 2d6 holy + 2d6 cold damage.
    I use the cold because in the long run the uber-weapons are being designed to fight the demon guardians. Those demons are immune to fire and lightning effects and there are no sonic effects.

This may be a bit off topic but I thought I would share some of my experience.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The name "Bob's Whacking Stick" is taken.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

how bout
    "evil dagger of bread toasting"
    I mean +3 flaming unholy dagger

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Ted's Chain of Self-Flagellation..is that available...? Don't make me come down under there! :point: :grin:

Our Host!