Samurai PC

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Broodix, Aug 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Broodix

Broodix Member

Hi,

I would like to try and replicate a Samurai PC, obviously within the limitations of the game engine (in terms of available classes, feats and skills) so I'm trying to get some ideas about what of class combinations, feat selection, etc. would come close to the "real" thing. I would also like to know if there's an armor set that would resemble (in terms of looks) an actual samurai armor. Any ideas will be appreciated. :)

2. Red_Rogue

Red_Rogue Padawan

I made a samurai in my current game, I took the easy route though and used a fighter with no multi classing. I am focusing his feats on weap spec (no datchi; the katana is setup as a bastard sword and must be used in both hands so using a katana and wakasashi dual wield is out so if it's going to be 2hed the no datchi is the best for dam at 1d12) other feats spring attck and whirlwind attack (both have sub skills to get to) and blind fighting. That being said while playing I've been debating wether a barbarian would've been a beeter choice (I'm leaning to yes do to all of his bonuses)

I have seen no armor set thus far to match/resemeble the sam's and I have been to Verbobonc. I hope this help get you thinking.

3. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

AFAIK, if you take bastard sword as an exotic proficiency, that gives you the option to wield it one-handed. Of course, if you leave your off-hand slot empty, you can still wield it two-handed.

4. Dragon_Awakened

Dragon_Awakened Wandering Warrior

Let's see if I can help.

Armor: The closest resembalance to traditional samurai armor is splint mail. On the forearm of a samurai is an armguard with thick bars called a Kote which was used to block or deflect melee weapons. You could use a buckler to replicate this and not be too far off course.
    ----
    Weapons: The katana follows the bastard sword in proficiency. Samurai used a bow known as the daikyu which was short at the bottom and long at the top for use from horseback. D&D cannot really duplicate this so just take the longbow if you want to use a ranged weapon. Samurai were also known to use spears.
    ----
    Feats: I would suggest Improved Initiative early on, most pertinent would be Weapon focus: bastardsword and all specialization, improved critical, and perhaps even improved weapon focus attached to that weapon. If you are thinking of two-weapon combat route they did build a masterwork wakizashi to go along with the masterwork katana but you must speak to brother smyth and complete his giant killer quest to get him to release his cache of masterwork items. Other feats you might look at are Quick Draw, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Cleave, and Great Cleave as samurai were exceptionally good at follow through attacks.
    ----
    As Samurai were very rigid in their ways of thinking and in their actions your samurai should be of a lawful alignment.

Any further questions feel free to ask.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Broodix: You should check out the AD&D book named "Oriental Adventures".

6. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Hey Krunch, could you make one of those samurai style helmets with the flared out cheeckpieces and insignia on the top? That, with splint armor and a Katana would make a very samurai looking character indeed. Then he could cruise around with a couple of other PCs in coolie hats and peasant garb to represent the Samurai's retainers.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I am not a graphics artist, not yet anyway and far from it. I have much to learn to do a good job editing SKA or SKM files.

The following 4 peops are the real deal at making new meshes.
    * Cujo + Virtual Spaceman + Cuchulainn + Icy edge

Be nice and ask one of them if they will make one. Maybe they have time and will do that for you.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Note: Just realize that any one of those 4 peops [who know exactly what they are doing before they start] to make a new mesh for a helmet like what you are wanting could take any one of them upwards of 6 to 12 total hours of effort to make it, improve it to be right and make it look great, too. It's no small task even for one of those 4 peops.

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You guys are thinking too hard. Just give the PC a top-knot style hair-do. Let the helm(s) happen later.

10. Red_Rogue

Red_Rogue Padawan

I did take the bastard sword as a pro slot and still was unable to wield as a single handed weapon. I could be doing something wrong or my system could be buggy. I equiped the katana w profic and tried to add wakazashi to no avail at the begining of my current game so I redid my character. (again my version could be bugged, using 5.0.0 fe) I will try again after this campaing though, thanks for the tip

11. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

Hmm, scratch that thought. I've never actually tried it (I avoid the always hit swords myself). It should work that way, I thought.

one thought--did you take it as an exotic, not a martial, proficiency? That might make a difference. Beyond that, umm, good luck? :blink:

12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I've never had a problem being able to use a bastard sword one-handed after taking Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword.

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Red_Rogue: What Kalshane said, same thing here, too. It works...and this is true even with the latest Co8 5.0.1 MOD fixes update, as well.
    * The key is to select Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) for your character to wield it with only just one hand. If your character has Martial Weapon Proficiency (All) and you do not, additionally, select Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) for your character, you are required to use both hands to wield it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  14. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Using both hands to wield a weapon gives you a greater damage bonus, and so you might want to use noth hands on the sword. If you plan on using that method anyway, it wouldn't make sense to spend a feat on being able to use it with one hand since you wouldn't.

You can still use a buckler with a two handed weapon, but it gives you a 1 point penalty to hit. That's not a good trade for one point of armor class. Now a +3 buckler, with 4 points of armor class in exchange for one point to hit, that's a pretty good deal.

I use this method with my reach weapon fighter, since the cleric can craft up the buckler quite readily.

Our Host!