Which Weapon do YOU use?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by TiamatReborn, Jun 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

according to the arms and equipment book, cutlasses and sabers should be scimitars. altho I do agree with it having the rapier profincy making it finessable as that was kinda the fighting style at the time but I wouldn't complain if they were all changed.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I think it needs changing, too. Could it be that someone was confusing "cutlass" with "saber"? I think the latter were far more likely to be used in a thrusting motion than the former, thus the piercing.

3. Zombiemonk

Zombiemonk Member

Actually, I've noticed that A half-Orc Barb with a glaive (Along with weapon focus in glaive) can REALLY clean up.

Get Great Cleave, and because of that insane reach you'll be coating the dungeon floors in blood and entrails.

I also like to create Orc monks with 20 strength at start, put two more points into strength at lvls 4 and 8, and then select weapon focus unarmed strike...topping it off with those +5 monk gloves that you can only get throguh a druid using the craft wondeorus item feat.

It's funny when a lvl 10 monk has a BAB of about 17 :)

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Do we have such a thing? And if not, should we introduce one, calling it a sabre perhaps?

5. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well it wouldnt be hard to change the cutlass to slashing take about a min flat in the proto file. :yes:

6. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

I just love my longbows and longswords.

Oh and my druids always use a scimitar.

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

We do, it's called a Wakizashi, and IIRC it does both slashing and piercing damage.

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Friggin' Samurai...always lousing things up!

9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I'd hesitate to make it count as a rapier (finessable, 18-20 critical) except slashing because that makes it a better weapon than a scimitar (and rapier, really, considering I think the Rakasha is the only creature with a DR involving /piercing while there's a number of monsters with DR/slashing.) Which is why I was suggesting letting it function like a short sword, only slashing. Though I suppose we could keep it with the rapier prof and change the crit range and damage type.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I also find that Moradins Soul Hammer is a real good weapon to have and use, especially against the monsters in the nodes.

11. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well here you go a cutlass set as a slashing weapon.

Attached Files:

12. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

For most things, I like to forge my own weapons. Specifically, my dwarven cleric (LG with Law and Good domains) creates a +3 Warhammer with both Holy and whatever the spelling is of the one that is Lawful (axiomatic or something like that ?). To this, my mage adds cold, cold burst, and fire. If I remember right, that's the limit of effects. No much stands up to that. In a pinch for something that is resistance to blunt weapons (not many), I hang onto the flaming sword and Iolo's Joy (crossbow). I enchant both to boost them to +3 weapons and add electrical damage to them both. But I rarely need them.

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I made a saber a while back it looks like it never made it in, it might'ce been over powered - 1d8 piecing/slashing 19x2 rapier prof - some thing like that. it used the cutlass modle scaled up to 121 so the blade was the same length as a katana (it looked better longer)

14. cpdm

cpdm One-eyed wanderer

Why not make the cutlass a shortsword (e.g. wpn fcs shortsword == wpn fcs cutlass)? From the way it looks, that is more accurate than having it as a rapier. But since both are finessable martial weapons, I can't see it making a real difference gameplay-wise. Make it do 1d6 slashing damage, but lower it's critical threat range to just 20x2 to make up for it doing (at least in ToEE) a more effective damage type.... I think that would make it a balanced finesse weapon.

Or, if the crit range penalty seems too steep, then make the damage both piercing and slashing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

that actually sounds quite reasonable regarding the cutlass

Our Host!