Design defects in DnD

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by kenoyer130, Oct 20, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. mattra

mattra Member

thats pretty funny...when they cant win an argument morons generally fall back on insults.

I honestly dont think you intended this to be a funny thread. More like the blind troll trying to stir up crap thread...

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If you want to play a game that simulates real life in any sort of realistic way, and the d&d rules don't make sense, play Sims 2!

3. Cloudsprinter

Cloudsprinter Member

How did you know I live in my moms basement? :twitch:

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

No, I live in your mom's basement...

:pelvicthr

5. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Yeah, shouldn't have taken the thread seriously.

My favorite problem with the HP system was falling damage. High level characters can jump off of 100-foot cliffs if they need to escape enemies. It's only 35 HP of damage on average.

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It's a game...it's about having fun playing a game. It's playing a fantasy RPG game, not about playing a reality TV sim. Laugh. High level characters should be able to survive a 100 foot free fall in a fantasy RPG game. That's why they are high level characters. Smirk.

7. Steyr

Steyr Member

Probably one of the better, more logical game systems that I've played is Runequest. Prior to it being taken over by this d20 crap anyway. The game was skill based, not level based. You use a skill, you tick off the check box next to it, and later you get the chance to improve that skill score. HP were derived from your stats and allocated across body locations. They didn't increase with experience. You character's ability to "avoid" damage came from his dodge and parry skills (various protections such as armour, magic, etc). An experienced character falling off a cliff is about as likely to die as an inexperienced character falling off that same cliff. The system even had a fatigue model, so the longer you perform exhausting activities the less able you are to perform at your peak.

While the system may not have been perfect I thought it worked well. The only problem was that it was so easy to take grevious injuries and die. If a local punk kid wielding a big stick scored a lucky critical hit against your uber-experienced warrior who uncharacteristically failed to parry, it's goodnight and thanks for coming. Realistic perhaps, but a pain in the arse at times. So while I also think the D&D HP system is illogical, I can appreciate it for it's usefulness in making the game enjoyable.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I have a feeling that this thread is sposed to be in fun and kenoyer130 was expecting humorous respones, anyway the thing I don't get from other games is how can your health be 150% I thought that the most healthy anyone could be was 100%.

9. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

yeah what the hell is up with that. 150%? ... hm... maybe it means you're pregnant. :O

10. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

150%? what game are we talking about..that's absurd. By the way, did anyone ever play Vampire the tabletop RPG? I played it several years ago so I don't remember much, but if I recall correctly the hp system was by categories..something like crippled, scathed, or something like that. It was only about 4 or 5 categories and if you dropped to the last one you were basically redead.

11. Beaujim

Beaujim Member

about the only real complaint about the D&D system i have is that half elves suck compared to the rest of the races :p

Most of the things i see complained about in this thread are things that D&D was just not designed to do, they are not flaws, you can't fault a toaster for not being able to cook eggs :p

When i say play something else, i don't mean it in a mean way, i mean there are other PnP systems that you might like better if these "flaws" bother you so much. It is always fun to try something new ;)

12. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

uhh... i think like, in doom, you could keep picking up those health potions and boost your health to well above 100%
    it was pretty surreal
    like, imagine that! i bet you can't!!!

13. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

seriously if you don't want to run out of spell or rest try a crossbow and fight like a real man.

14. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

or better yet, hack into their neural processors and make them think you still have spells left!! oh wait that's a different game

Our Host!