Returning Player asking for tips on mods to install.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rex-felis, Jun 21, 2023.

Remove all ads!
  1. rex-felis

rex-felis Member

Hi Peeps. Haven't played Toee for a long time now and decided to have a go again. Got the Boxed edition and the Jewel Pack edition so was all ready to go through the pain of installing the patches and so on. But despite hours of trying i couldn't get it all to work smoothly with Win 10, kept crashing on exit and sometimes at start, so spent some on GoG.com's version.
    All working fine as far as i can tell.
    Downloaded and Installed both Co8's Standard and New Content Modpacks. Luis Royo Portrait Pack 8.1.0, installed. Downloaded or tried to download Keep on the Boardland 1.0.1, Edge kept blocking the download as dangerous. Haven't installed it yet since i'am not in a rush, anti virus and malware say its fine so guessing Edge just being picky.
    Main reason on writing is the few mods i have in an old folder have been recopied over and over for about a decade so i won't trust them, i've forgotten what most do anyway. So any tips on must have mods and cheats. Being able to carry more items without a weight penalty would be nice.
    Thanks

2. Buffed Rabbit

Buffed Rabbit Established Member

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Never did get a proper weight-reduction thing going. Something with a negative weight would doubtless have done it. Surprisingly fiddly, weight in the game - no proper way to check it, for memory.

There is no need for 'old mods', everything is wrapped into Co8 8.1. KotB 1.0.1 is also the most recent version, enjoy :)

4. rex-felis

rex-felis Member

Thanks
    Been going through as many of the postings as i could and was quick to see my old folder of mods was next to useless now. Orions Ultimate Fixes, Bucket o Spells 1.1 and Vicks & Wedge Mod with the others can now rest in silicon heaven. The Luis Royo Portrait Pack i installed didn't work so downloaded the newest and that seems to be working fine. Again Edge did not like downloading it.

Looking through the postings and the old Bag of Holding seems to have been supplanted with the Extraplaner Chest although lots of complaints about things going missing from the chest. I seem to remember giving all my party Bags of Holdings that took everything i could find and didn't effect my carry load till i took things out of the bag to give to the Bard, since he had the best trade skill, to sell at the traders. Will have to find that cheat again. Hope its in the Dungeon Tool.

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The Extraplanar Chest is fine as long as you don't put charged items in it. You need to carry those in your regular inventory.

6. zertzax

zertzax Member

You also do not want to put any crafted weapons with extra abilities in the extra-planar chest as it could erase the abilities.

7. rex-felis

rex-felis Member

Hi Peeps.
    Ran into a few problems, most sorted now.
    But i need to ask the Question.
    Will the game run as intended with just Keep of the Boarderland 1.0.1 installed (plus portrait pack).
    As i said above i installed 1st Co8's Standard then New Content 2nd (plus portrait packs). All seemed to work fine. Game started, video played then i went into options to change those. All worked.
    Yesterday i decided to install KotB and that's when i started to hit problems.
    1st lost widescreen. Managed to sort that out, remembered a posting here about it, quick trip to graphics cards settings and that was sorted out.
    My PC, finally upgraded it from win 7 to win 10 last week, 16g ram, 2g radeon GC, old but in fairly good condition. I play it on Extended Screen on 2 Monitors.
    Trying to play KotB, instead of starting on the main monitor it moved over to the 2nd monitor and will not move back. Long list of things i tried to get it fixed. Wont go into all of them here. Changed resolution settings in the game, the Toee front-end x, GC and OS. Disabled 2nd monitor to force it to play on main monitor, Game wouldn't play at all then, just kept crashing on start.
    From what i've read online Win 10 sometimes has a problem with programs like Front-end x, Steam and others that manage Games. Extended Screens just seem to confuse them.
    Well long story short, i reinstalled a clean version of GoG's Toee and installed just KotB + Portrait Pack. Looks like its working fine so far.
    Will the Game play with just those. Don't want to miss out on Homlet and the rest and end up straight to the Boarderland or will i need some of the files that are in the Standard and New Content modpacks.
    Will continue working on the problem. Will be a few weeks before i start playing so no rush. I suspect the problem is Scaling Options on my GC since i had to alter that to get windows to fit my main monitor.
    Thanks

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry, just saw this.

KotB is completely seperate, you do not need the C08 mod (or vice versa) to run it. So yes, it will run with just KotB. Obviously, you only get the one (or the other)'s content as they are seperate. You can have IWD or BG2, or both, installed, but you only get to play one at a time. Same deal here.

So no, you should never get to Hommlet from KotB. Or to the Yoemanry from Hommlet, neither. But you can have the Co8 mod installed and play that seperately at the same time. Maybe even on adjoining monitors, never tried that.

Our Host!