Ioun stones - how do you want them?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Allyx, Jun 19, 2005.

Remove all ads!
?

Ioun stones - how do you want them?

1. Leave them as they are - equipable to thieves tools

6.1%
  2. change them to equip to the headband / helmet slot

40.8%
  3. change them to be usable from the inventory

53.1%
  1. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

Technically you can wear a whole ton of belts, really, but i think the D&D rules cut it to only bieng able to wear one magical belt (and any other normal belts you want along with it) because of twinking and game balance and such. Same reason i'd give for only bieng allowed to wear two magical rings (and not ten), or wearing only one set of magic armor and not magical padded armor underneath magic plate armor with magical robes over that, ect.

(On a side note of stacking, I did notice a belt of giant strength doesen't stack it's bonus with gauntlets of ogre power. I forget if it's supposed to be like that and only give you the bigger of the two bonuses, or if they do stack their bonus.)

2. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Sorry, what's the use? The purpose for moving the stones in the bag and working as familiars is that a player should be allowed to use more different kinds of ioun stones at the same time: maybe a fighter that has the belt of gian strenght and amulet of ealth may be interested into the ioun stone of dexterity for initiative and saving throws, the one of wisdom for saving throw and the one of charisma to improve a bit his intimidation skills.

having 2 or more pale pink stones stacking like arrows is absolutely useless: it would have a meaning if somebody could have the headgear slot to store more than one item at once, so that all stones may go together with the helm without filling the backpack. The same for belts and thieves tools, indeed the bard-rogue combo is NOT something so rare and, honestly, why somebody may want to give a belt of giant strenght to a rogue, except if it is not the fighter-rogue combo? About tools, I already told mine: in the backpack working like familiars, so that there is more space for belts (and we should create some nice of them ;)).

And again, yes: ioun stones ar an exception, but because they are supposed to float around somebody's head (and they cost more than a gloves or amultes with the same effect). Usually items in D&D do not stack together, or better, for the ones that don't know it:
    if you take an amulet of natural armor and braciers of armor, they will stack together because one is a natural armor bonus and the other is an armor bonus. Instead if you take the gauntlets of ogre strength and the belt of giant strength they will NOT stack together because they are both an empowerment bonus. The only bonuses that stack stogether are the circumstance bonuses.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

It used to be that bracers of armour, and bracers of archery (for some unknown reason) could both be equiped at once - but as I say it got fixed (not sure how or when).Any two Items that give a bonus to the same thing DO NOT stack, eg gauntlets of ogre power (+2) and belt of giant strength (+4 or +6) only the higher bonus is used.

4. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

I thought that was the case, just wasn't sure. It's been a long while since i DM'd.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Ok so the masses (17 of you) have spoken, next question - When do you want it fixed? now or after liv's 2.0?

6. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

When's the last time anyone's seen or heard from Liv?

Per Liv's Profile: Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago 10:23 AM
    :(

7. Bio-Mage

Bio-Mage Member

If they ever want to make D&D any fun they should only allow 1....yes 1 magic item per character. I had enough with superhero characters. Plus there seems to be more magic items than normal anyways. Idiotic....

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

after livs is good for me.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Your earlier fix is there if people want it - i say after Liv. Why do it twice?

10. Zhadowstorm

Zhadowstorm Member

Gauntlets of Ogre Power combined with Girdle of Giant Strength gave insane stat boost above and beyond their combined stats. Our GM allowed one or the other not both as it unbalanced alot fo the old school PnP mods.

As for belts what about the Girdles of Femininty that turn males into woman? Best part was its cursed too not allowing you to remove it.

Ioun stones in several old school PnP mods have them : a) hover around you in eleptical fashion < hence the carrying of butterfly nets on my hafling rogue > b) placed as gemstones into weapon hilts c) decorative gem stones in armors, brooches

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

After Liv's...unless Liv might consider adding in your finished product? Not likely, though considering the long silence...waiting might be a long time.

12. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

3.5 breaks stat buffs down by category; Enchantment, Divine, Morale, Etc. Under this system, no two buffs of the same type stack; this means that you can no longer stack the buffs from (Enchantment) Gauntlets and an (Enchantment) Belt. However, you could still stack something like an Enchantment buff and a Rage buff. The D&D Faq is here. The online Sys Ref Doc seems to be down right now; maybe someone else has a newer link.

Our Host!