Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The script is currently set to occur after 'x' heartbeats, so it can be timed to occur later. Also, it's easy enough to change it to occur after some other event. The shaman in KotB in the Lizard Swamp gets triggered by an invisible critter when you cross the river, that has the advantage that if a Ranger does a Track then the critter comes up as 'Lizardmen tracks'. Easy enough to do that later in the game (or have it fire off a door, or when you loot a container, or whatever). Not really needed this early.

Making it 'enemy seen' is possible but risks the fella going into combat mode and skipping all that.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

Yeah, and I was just thinking about if it is set to "enemy seen", then it would actually trigger the bug that we are trying to avoid. They would be buffing, and we may be buffing, too...

I am just offering suggestions to see what can be done so that this IWD would resemble the original for enemy placements near the beginning of a map, and still allow for pre-buffing of the enemies further in the map.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The original IWD has trigger points on the map floor, when PC's crossed it, the scripted effect takes place. We could use invisible creatures to simulate that but at this point it seems like overkill for what we have already.

4. FDR4PREZ

Yes, probably no need to redo it for what you have working right now, but something to keep in mind for the remainder of the game.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Unanimous :)

6. argikt

argikt Member

Hi
    I'm very excited with this proyect!! I would like to know if when will be finish I will need IWD installed in my pc, or the files will be "packed" in the Toee mod.

Thanks!

7. Allyx

Yes you will need Icewind Dale installed, primarily because I don't want anyone involved in creating this mod to get sued.

By requiring that the original IWD title is owned by the players of this mod, we can ensure that the files within this mod are already owned by the players, and the owners of that intellectual property aren't losing out of any moneys they would otherwise be owed.

8. argikt

argikt Member

Makes sense to me...
    But there isn't any tecnichal reason.... isn't it?

9. Allyx

The front end application that activates the mod will require an Icewind Dale installation to work.

The plan is that we can later use the IWD installation to pull files and modify them automatically from an active installation of IWD, and they would be put into ToEE format and correct file locations during activation.

10. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

There are a few programing bugs/conflicts that can be avoided too by doing it that way

11. FDR4PREZ

@Allyx - I just played through the demo again, and this time I noticed that there are 4 shaman in the orc cave instead of the previous 2. Is this a random spawn? I don't recall 4 in there before.

Also, this time I had a druid with me and he cured Ghereg. When he ran out (disappeared) from the tower, the camping icon stayed red. It only changed to green when I exited and went back inside.

12. Allyx

Hmm, ok I need to do more testing before releasing stuff... I'll do that and make a new patch soon. Thanks @FDR4PREZ

13. FDR4PREZ

@Allyx - I've got some questions about the obscuring mist spell.

You mentioned to Ted that you weren't sure that the misty cloud graphic is not the correct size (or am I thinking of the wrong spell?)

The description says that it has an area of effect of 5 feet around the caster and, to me, that is about what the little cloud looks like. If I use the 5-foot step cursor to see how big the area is 5-feet around the caster, the misty cloud is about that size.

But it seems to effect (conceal people) in a much larger area.

For testing, if my druid casts it, firstly, the misty cloud is not centered on my character. The misty cloud graphic is created to the NE direction of my druid.

Also, instead of a 5 foot concealment area, if my people are within something like 10 or 15 feet, they too are concealed.

Three additional questions:
    1) since the obscuring mist spell is cast on yourself, should the misty cloud move with the caster? It is a stationary cloud, so the shaman are casting it, and then they are running out of it. Seems like a waste of a spell if they simply cast it and run out of the cloud.

2) The description clearly says that it obscures all sight outside the 5-foot cloud, so how can the shaman target my characters for sound burst and hold when he can't see them?

3) What is the difference between the 1st level obscuring mist (cleric and druid) spell, and the 2nd level fog cloud (druid) spell? The description appears basically the same, so should the druid have both spells?

14. FDR4PREZ

Here are three pictures:

1) My druid is showing his 5-foot radius
    upload_2017-1-16_16-16-43.png

2) he casts obscuring mist, and it is actually centered on him correctly this time, and you can see that the cloud is about the correct size, but all my characters are concealed:
    upload_2017-1-16_16-18-7.png

3) My cleric (the very bottom character) casts obscuring mist and you can see that the cloud is not centered on my cleric, and my fighter (the very top character) is still gaining the concealed icon even though he is very far away from the cleric
    upload_2017-1-16_16-20-26.png

15. Allyx

The SRD states here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/obscuringMist.htm that the spell has a 20 foot diameter stationary area effect that can be affected by wind both magical and mundane, so the effect area is correct, the particles are 1/4 the size of what they should be. Fog Cloud is a 2nd level spell with a 100 foot diameter.

It was mostly to obscure the archers who are also stationary, moving the other archers into it's area of effect is an option I'm considering.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
Our Host!