Can't see my characters or chests.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Orcshein, Jun 9, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Orcshein

Orcshein Member

Hi there everyone! I'm surprised I found a forum with an active community of ToEE.

So.. We played trough it with P&P and we died. Twice, so our DM has put a end to the game. So I went to Gog.com and bought it, because -I WANT TO FINISH THAT DAMN TEMPLE!- :yes:

:D

But sadly, I've encountered a bug that doesn't let me play correctly. Here it is.. And yes I did researches on it first.

-I can't see my characters, exept sometimes, and most often I only see cloaks walking around.

-I can't see CHESTS either, or monsters, 75% of the time.

------------------------------------------

WHAT I HAVE AND DID UP TO NOW

------------------------------------------

-I know the resolution bug. I tried every resolution in the list, nothing works.

-I have patch up to three installed (the game comes patched when you buy on Gog).

-My video card is a 8800 gts, lastest driver updated.

-I have directx 9.0c

-I'm working on windows XP pro 32

-I have a dual screen. (I tested without dual screen too!)

-I tried to reinstal the game. Twice.

Any help would be welcomed, because I dream about that temple every nights. It laugh at me in the dark, and points at me, and I hear screams, and a dark voice saying "You'll never stop us..."

D: !!

Have a look.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Welcome

ToEE has all sorts of unpredictable glitches - empty blue circles being one of them. Assuming you haven't installed either the Co8 7.2.0 or 7.2.0 NC (extra encounters devised by Co8) Modpack as directed from this site, I would do so as Co8 have spent years trying to eliminate the more serious bugs in the original game

I notice you have an XP machine - you need to download and install .NET Framework 2.0
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19 [not a more recent version of this] before the Modpack installation front-end (TOEE Front-End-X) works as described.

Depending on what anti-virus software you have you may need to set ToEE Front End as an exception to scrutiny.

3. Orcshein

Orcshein Member

Thank you for your reply!

I installed the Co8 mod, followed every steps, it installed quickly without any problems.

I then "activated" the Co8 mod in the front end X, and started a "New game" with it, on normal mode. When the game started, it was written Co8 mod in the bottom, so it's working fine.

I spawned in a room where I could buy stuff from chests. I was seeing my characters, exept the hair. But they were "flashing", same as the chests where you buy your stuff.

Then when I finalized to buy my gear, I went in the portal to start the adventure.

Arriving in the dongeon, my characters are mostly invisible, I see only their cloaks and gloves.

I don't see chests, and creatures are there 25% of time.

I don't know what to do now. ):

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

5. Orcshein

Orcshein Member

It.... IT.. IT WORKED! THANK YOU! *Hugs*

For the ones in the same situation as I, I had to revert to the NVIDIA driver ver. 197.45 for my game to work with my 8800 GTS.

YAY! Now I can go kick that temple's butt!

6. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

Glad I read this, I too have an nvidia 8800 GTS card (it's old, but venerable), and when diablo3 came out it nagged me to install latest drivers.

Why bother I thought, these drivers are just fine. Why all these new drivers anyway, can't see the point.

So I never saw this bug, but now I'm doubly glad I didn't update my drivers and won't be doing so :)

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you go to nVidia's site and manually download the latest update, (let their site check your card and chipset to make sure you get the right one) you will be able to run the newer games, (ME3 and such) and be able to run TOEE and NWN2 and other older favorites.

I found that if I just choose "update driver" from the device manager it will miss the latest update, but a manual download gets it.

Now, I have an nVidia 480GTX but I was facing the same troubles and had rolled back my driver until the new one, (out now) was released.

8. Woj

Woj Member

had same problem with my geforce9600gso
    downgrading to driver ver. 197.45 helped

Our Host!