new player and a question on dwarven waraxe vs spear (druid)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Conf, May 27, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Conf

Conf Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to this game (yes after so many years this mod made it possible to finally play this)

Anyway, decided to post to ask for some help with a dilemma:

I've completed the game with a normal party not knowing the ins and out, then did the ridiculously overpowered min/max reach abusing scather fragarach exploiting party. I quit that one before the end, it was fun to see scather for once, but I think I'm going to make it a rule : no scather/fragarach

I'm still on the fence about abusing reach, mainly because it's so hilarious still, so one more game with abusing reach is ok, but either no reach weapons or no enlarge spell (so no double range cheese)

Onwards to my actual game
    But this time it's time for something weird

So I've decided on 4 dwarven druids, no direct help from npcs, but they may be hired to perform other functions. Like crafting.

The first two druids will develop towards surviving and fighting
    The other two druids will specialize in summoning and making spells land.

Now for my question :

Please help me with this dilemma in weapon choice:

I've noticed that the dwarven war axe (which dwarves seem automaticly proficient) is an awesome weapon (1d10!), plus I can use a shield with it.

The other option I'm considering is to just give at least two or all four reach weapons, the only choice is spear and longspear both the same weapon in stats.

So now I can't decide what's more useful no reach, a better weapon and a shield, or having the enemy walk into your reachy spears. And of course dealing damage to the enemy out of range is provides a function similar to more AC and avoiding getting hit.

Considering in your answer that this party will not have access to enlarge person, but even without abusing reach it just seems so good.

And I'm thinking spears will still outdamage the axes in the first crucial rounds, I suppose the extra defense from axes comes into handy when there is too much to deal with and getting surrounded is inevitable. But somehow I doubt 4 druids will have a problem with that considering how the enemy seems to love killing summons first.

I'm currently thinking just go 2 spears and 2 dwarven war axe
    with the dwarven war axe dwarves improving on combat and the spears will become spell slingers

Anyway this mod is awesome, I did actually play till lvl 6 the first time without content (forgot to activate it). The sheer number of bugs that are solved is staggering, so thanks for making this playable.

btw, this is not so much a question as to get some discussion going on reach without enlarge vs non-reach. As most threads I find seem to include enlarge person.

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

You obviously want dwarven war axes or you wouldn't have nerfed your druids by denying them the bonus human feat for augment summoning at level 1

The logical answer must be neither though!

What are 4 human druids with augment summoning and multiple summon animals spells each, not to mention a jackal each doing going anywhere near melee?

3. Conf

Conf Member

Yeah I suppose you're right. I already noticed the difference between augmented summons and without. So I reformed my party and am underway now with the following:

Still 4 dwarves (I know humans rock, but I want to try dwarves this time). So I gave them all spell focus conjuration, the next feat is, augmented summons.

As for weapons, first 2 dwarves axe+shield, and the other two longspears. That way I get to try them both, plus it doesn't even sound like a bad tactic, the other two being able to reach over them.

Btw, the enemy ai seems to love summons. They will even attack summons when one of my druids is a closer target, unless he is closer than the summons AND hit them.

It also seems to me these tiny little ai decisions make anything reachy good.

Anyway I've decided to stop thinking about this and just play :p

I'm surprised btw how good druids are in this game, maybe i'll just reconsider bards too (still time to add a 5th member, he'll catch up when I continue tomorrow)

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I just tried a bard for 1 run through. I was thoroughly underwhelmed by their performance. If I want the extra spell casting, I will just multi a rogue/sorcerer.

5. Runiel

Runiel Member

I have two in my current game. The team leader is a rogue 2/bard x that is in charge of diplomatic and scouting duties, takes care of locks, traps and pickpocketing and melees with a longspear while playing group enhancing bardic music. I also picked up Zaxis while traveling around, he stays in the back as an archer casting enchantment spells and using inspiring music to enhance other team members or Intimidate and Fascinate to incapacitate enemies. Both of them also serve as backup healers. Bards can be very good, as long as you use them for their abilities and not instant substitutes for wizards/sorcerers.

6. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

I thought Druids couldn't use metal weapons? Waraxes might be disallowed? I'm not sure how that works.

Dwarven druids does seem pretty weird to me. Perhaps, to a Dwarf, Iron is a natural material :)

7. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Elvish Druids can use longswords and longbows, so a dwarf using a dwarvish war axe makes sense imo.

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Scimitars and Longspears, typical druid weapons, are metal. They just can't wear metal armor.

Iron IS a natural material. It's in your blood, for example.

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Then why do vampires look so anemic?

10. VicOzzy

VicOzzy Member

Vampires regain slightly some of the living colour after feasting upon an unwary traveller or pesky little child...

11. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

All their blood is imported.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

There is a famous dwarven druid, but you guys know this, right?

Click the yellow text and bask in the glory of Pikel Bouldershouder.

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

1. Vampires are unnatural, of course.

2. There is no red blood flowing in their veins, just a foul black liquid. But that isn't sexy enough for most Hollywood movies.

3. They don't get enough sun.

Our Host!