Where did the barrel go?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Obadiah, Mar 24, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

There used to be a barrel (in nc 7.0) right by the inn in Hommlet. It was pretty handy for storing stuff that you couldn't sell/might need later (like robes, slings, hemlock, etc.). It is no longer there. I was just wondering what might have happened to it and why oh why would it be deemed necessary to remove it? Not really that big of a deal, but I hate "dropping" stuf the vendor won't buy so it looks like litter all over Hommlet.:bored:

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

IIRC, the barrels happen to move around randomly each game, so you're not guaranteed to have it in a specific spot, just a number of barrels in a range of possible spots. I'm not 100% on how exactly that works, but it's something like that.

Why not use the magickal storing chest (whatever the name was) for that purpose?

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

yeah, I could do that. There are a couple of reasons I don't like using the chest. #1, I always summon it and then forget where I left it because I forget to unsummon it before moving. Yeah, I know, it's my fault. #2, I try to conserve room in the chest for those deep temple runs, so I can load it up with all the armor I find to sell. I hate having all my characters super encumbered and unable to fight effectively. Those are some pretty sad excuses, but that's the reality of it. I guess I can use it if the barrel isn't readily available. I had no idea that the barrel randomly changed locations on the map. Learn something new every day.

4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I do the same thing with the barrels. Lately, I will equip on the shop map, then save the game, then walk into town and see where the barrels are. If one or 2 are not conveniently located, I will reload and try again.

5. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Why not use the well by the jewelry store?

6. Tathum

Tathum Member

I've had a couple of evil campaigns where I loot that well...

Shakedown the poor farmer that looks nervously outside at it. I can just imagine his little daughter asking for a new doll for the fall harvest festival, he goes out there to get the silver to purchase the gift, and finds nothing but cast-off brown farmer garb, crossbow bolts, and padded boots.

7. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

You know, the tailor will buy the garb and boots. My cleric uses a crossbow, add the masterwork crossbow from the moathouse and rapid reload, it is almost as good as a bow. Everybody else get's composite longbows, even the rogue since she is an elf.

Our Host!