Circle of Eight Modpack v6 / v6 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Provodnik, Dec 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I thought we changed both his protos, but yeah we'll fix that. Thanks.

2. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

6.0.1 bug: if party member is feared, very often their radial menu will be the party leader's. The party leader's face, abilities, spells etc. I forget what the behavior is if you actually try to use the radial. You can still use the inventory normally, attack without using the radial, etc. Haven't been able to test it with 6.1.0 yet.

6.1.0 bug: Natures Ally I: summoned creature does not attack until following round. Spell description states creature acts immediately in same round. Will test subsequent versions of this spell as I level.

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I can confirm both or these. On the summoned, it looks like the game determines their initiative roll them places them in the action queue. If they are faster than the person summoning them, they will appear before them in the queue and thus will not get to act that round. This is one reason I like to summon Earth Elementals, they are slow, so almost never lose their ability to go the round they are summoned.

4. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

So this just happened: cast Entangle on the giant frogs and hung back with ranged. Animal companion Jackal runs through and melees frog. Druid meanders into Entangle, then dismisses Jackal. Jackal runs back into Druid while Druid is entangled. Result:

[​IMG]

Save spam, for the remainder of combat. A continuous stream of saves, independent of the turn clock. Does not affect play at all, other than to obscure the roll counter. It just keeps going like that the whole time, real fast.

Edit: I should also mention that I both dismissed the Entangle and moved away from that spot, neither stopped the spam. The saves continued to emanate from the spot where the Jackal merged into the Druid.

5. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

What makes it a candidate for "funny" bugs is that, even after combat concludes it leaves a persistent entangle effect around the area, and continues the save spam indefinitely. I wonder what happens when I zone?

[​IMG]

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Casting Holy Word gives a similar effect.

The bodies of the defeated seem to spam their failed saves over and over.

7. Sergiond

Sergiond Member

Well, i have finished the game with a Neutral Good team: 5 PC + Ronald + Phisella + Zaxis.

I would like to write the probably faults and some suggestions. I´m going to try explain me correctily because my english is very poor. Sorry.

I have played in win7 and Co8 6.1.0

FAULTS:

1- As i wrote it, Rannos is thin in the Nulb ambush. Before he was very fat.

2- I tried to destroy the orb of golden skull. I had to dismiss Phisella to make it. But then, when she joined again in the team she kept the orb yet. By the way, this action don´t appear in the journal (i don´t know if it´s a bug).

3- In the mission "Monster Mash", when you killed all Hextorites in the Temple and tried to talk with Canon Ramses, not appear any dialog about it. In fact, I have this mission unfinished.

4- In the mission "Building Credit". I forgot the second pay. When i came back to the Silver Consortium, the seller ask me 55000 + 27500. The only opcion is to say (more or less) "No, i no pay. i give you te castle". I must say that i had a lot of money and i can pay it. I think that this dialog must include other opcion with a "Yes...".

5- I remember, in other game, that in the ToEE i found a paper about the Zaxis´ sister. I haven´t found it this time.

SUGGESTIONS:

First all, i can imagine the difficult of modding. Thank you for the work.

A - "Arena of Heroes". I don´t like the origin of this quest: a magic book. I think that you could include it in Verbobonc, in a typical anual tournament. With more clasification fases. The PCs could receive some publicity in this event in Hommlet, for example. And when they win the tournament, they gain fame and Viscount or Prince Zook will want to hire them for drow bussines. Anyway, it was very entertaining! :yes:

B - "Moathouse Respawn". This is the quest that i like less. I think that it´s early for a respawn. Probably it will be in a few years but no in this game. Anyway, it include a mini-zuggtmoy. She represent to "Mother". This is the worst of all! :thumbsdow I suggest to keep the figure of Zuggtmoy only for the final. I remember when i fought with her the first time, to many years ago. Her figure was very amazing. Do you think about to change mini-zuggtmoy for a hooded woman dressed with a dark robe. I remember the "old woman", the disguise of Zuggtmoy in the final of the game. I belive that the figure of"old woman" is a better option than mini-zuggtmoy.

C - "Monster Mash". I belive that the monsters summoned are too big. I don´t like it.
    And the hexorites can summon too many monsters. It´s a very difficult battle. I can not with all of them and I had to kill them one by one. Nobody give the alarm. It wasn´t real.

D - "The Slave Traders". This is the most difficult battle. My team have finished the game in 13 or 14 level. I abandoned this quest. It´s too hard for me.

About C and D. I recommend to drop the difficult. I know that some people can with it but i think that the most of the gamers cannot.

Finally, i want to give thanks to the modders. I like this game and this CoE is the best for it. :clap:

Bye!

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  8. Gaear

Save spam has been seen before in other circumstances (like when the girls at the Waterside Hostel run off, if you web the area). As long as it doesn't impact gameplay, I'm not too worried about it.

@Sergiond, thanks for the feedback.

I'm not lying ... we'll fix that. ;)

gazra has pointed this out before. We'll see what we can do.

There must be a bug with the counter, then. ToEE often doesn't count things reliably.

From memory there actually is a pay option there, but you have to have enough cash money in your pocket to pay it. Are you sure you had enough (not just gems)?

It' still there, somehwere on Temple level 4 I believe.

That's not a bad idea, particularly for when all the NC gets moved to post-Zugg Verbobonc. The thing is, the original author, Morpheus, wrote it with the book as the trigger. I generally try to avoid meddling with stuff like that at the core of other people's mods.

I think Ted had originally wanted that very character sprite for Mother. Maybe we'll change it ...

This stuff is generally a matter of degree: some players have complained that it's too easy when they get the jump on the Hextorites. Unforunately we can't guarantee a balanced fight for everybody, due to variance in skill level and the wide range of advancement you may have or have not achieved when you take them on. Same goes for the Slave Traders. (Not sure what you mean by "give the alarm," btw.)

9. Sergiond

Sergiond Member

About "give the alarm". I mean that the team walk until they can see the first hexorites. Then they stop and kill him (arrows, spells,...). When he is dead, walk a little more and kill the next one, etc. In all these time, nobody shout "Alarm! We under attack!" or similar. The other hexorites don´t help to the partner.

One more thing. I can listen the epilogue but i can´t watch it. It´s only a black frame.

Thank you again for your work.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  10. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I keep noticing that when I right click to get the radial menu with my characters, the portrait area in it has a see through part that outlines half a square. This is aesthetically unpleasing, and probably wasnt meant to happen. (See attached image)

Also, some monsters (I only recall kobolds) do not highlight when you press tab, even if they have items on their bodies still. This makes it difficult to find the ones with items to loot when theres a stack of dead bodies.

Attached Files:

11. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Be grateful that you still find some of the combats challenging - the game gets very boring fast once a player finds all of the combats in the game too easy! I personally find these combats too easy, and I would not want their difficulty to be made any easier.

The Royal Canadian previously suggested an easy way to kill the Hextor cell - just cast Stinking Cloud on them.

I recommend the following tips for defeating the slave traders:

1. Increase your characters' levels by doing what General Ghoul does - keep resting in the Greater Temple (i.e. the Temple of Elemental Evil dungeon level 4 (see map below)) for random encounters with monsters like Ettins (as a bonus, they have valuable loot as well).

2. Have your spellcasters choose the Craft Arms & Armor feat and then craft Holy Axiomatic Flame Burst Ice Burst Shock Burst +3 weapons for all of your characters.

3. Just before you talk with the slave traders, have your spellcasters cast Stone Skin, Death Ward, and Haste on all of your characters.

If you do all of the above things, then you shouldn't have a problem defeating the slave traders.

I can confirm that the note from Zaxis' sister is indeed in the game as my characters have picked it up during 2 separate play throughs of the game. The note is near the lower wall in the room just to the right of room number 3 in the map below (courtesy of Sorcerer's Place):

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  12. chano

chano Established Member

If you let lareth live and he gets caught one cannot trade with burnes's assistant anymore

13. Gaear

That's unfortunate but actually kind of appropriate ... isn't that the scenario where you've pissed off the town?

These have both been around since the dawn of time, to the best of my recollection. Un-highlightable monsters in particular are an on-and-off again problem. No idea why it happens, but it's almost certainly core engine related.

(Also bear in mind that if a monster has nothing lootable in its inventory, it won't highlight.)

This has been mentioned before ... I guess we could add a scout, but I hope you realize that this would make the fight more difficult. :p

Check the '...Modpack Explained' thread for info about movie problems.

14. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Just an idea for future modding projects. I've read somewhere on this site suggestions to mod the G series (and maybe D and Q?) from AD&D days. How about the D&D 3.0 Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil? It takes place 10 years (or so) after the original AD&D TOEE, and involves a new force having moved in. All the same maps are used, with a few new ones, and 3.0 rules are virtually the same as 3.5, which might make it an easier project? The adventure is meant for level 4 - 14. Mind you, I'd love to see any of the old D&D stuff available with this game.

15. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Pretty sure this isn't how Ghoul Touch is supposed to work. My Wizard casts it, and then anyone in my party within the 10' cloud radius who fails their save...

[​IMG]

gets a +2 bonus to hit! Sweet, let me get some of that nauseous, paralytic cloud into my lungs. Wait...why does that sound familiar? Anyway, it even shows up as a bonus in the character sheet:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!