Why does my modifications in Protos.tab not show up in 6.0.0NC

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by blackfly, Jan 17, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I know how to modify weapon/armour parameters in the protos.tab. However, in my 6.0.0NC game they are not registering. For example, in my campaign I have made Fine Chain have an armour bonus of +6 and a dex bonus of +3, to reflect the fact it is a better chain. But when I enter the values in protos.tab and save, it does not show up when I console the items to see if the changes have taken place.

Any ideas why? I have certain modifications that I feel better reflect certain items and I wish to use them in my 6.0.0NC game, but so far no go.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What app/software are you using to make changes to protos.tab?

3. blackfly

Windows XP. Same one I have been using for all my other TOEE games which have worked just fine. The ammended values in protos.tab are there, they just don't show up when you examine the items in the game.

4. Gaear

I mean what are you using to edit the file - World Builder, Proto Editor, Notepad, Beyond Compare, etc.?

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

If you go outside the game-engine parameters things might not work. Chainmail is AC5 and to go higher I think would require the magical elven. You can't craft over 5 unless it's magical and AC8 is max(Blue). You can only do what the engine will allow.

6. blackfly

I am using notepad. It has worked for me in the past. I simply "open with" and there it is. I can't figure this out. I had no issues before but now with 6.0.0NC nothing is coming through.

7. Gaear

All I can say is that there have been no 'measures' taken to lock any files or anything like that.

You'd be much better off modding with World Builder, at any rate.

(Note that if you mod something and then reactivate the module for some reason, your modifications will be lost. That's due to the way TFE-X handles module-switching.)

Our Host!