Verbobonc Sewers / What Lies Beneath [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by HeJason, Oct 12, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Anyone able get that giant frog in the sewer, it just disappears when I get near it.

2. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

help needed: missing children in Verbobonc

I've gotten a quest called "what lies beneath" asking me to investigate two missing children in Verbobonc and was told to search the sewers.

I have been everywhere in the sewers (I think), and have not found a clue. I did run across the night man and had conversations with him. I've also run across a lizard man and conversed with him.

BUT, I cannot find the children. I've tried searching the forum, but not gotten any hints. The "guide and walkthrough" sticky thread has a single line giving the quest title, but no further information about how I might complete it.

Any gentle hints would be appreciated.

3. silo25

silo25 Established Member

Re: help needed: missing children in Verbobonc

do you have a high spot?, you will need it

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Also, what did Captain Abiram tell you?

This is a new quest/scenario, so there's not likely much info out there on it yet.

5. dale5351

Spot is 20, should be pretty high -- but she cannot seem to spot the hidden door in the rabbit hole either.

Correction added later: My spot was low at 2, search was 20. I confused the two attributes.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. dale5351

I don't recall exactly what he said -- other than there were two children missing, and that I was to search the sewers / drainage.

Is there a way to go back and review such past conversations? I know that I can scroll back while I am still in the area -- but don't think that it is still there when I leave.

7. Gaear

If it wasn't that long ago it might be in the dialogue log (little expand button in the dialogue window). Otherwise, if you're going to be a detective, you have to pay attention to stuff. :p

The frog is a lie! ;)

8. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I seen it though, I could move my NPC right next to it, and it would just sit there. When one of my characters got near it however, it just dove into the pipe.

9. Crusader

Crusader Member

Re: Verbobonc Sewers / What Lies Beneath

I'm stuck on this one also. I saw the Lizard Man but did not talk to him. I lost him and did not find him again.
    I talked to the Day torch man but the Night guy is no where to be found. I only found his torch.
    I hear children but I can't find any.
    This is really a boring quest. I have been searching the sewers for 5 hours and found nothing at all.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  10. Crusader

Crusader Member

After 3 more hours of searching I give up. The quest i broken, it has to be. I haven't found anybody who has finnished it. Everybody I have talked to are stuck like I am.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  11. Gaear

Unlike most ToEE quests, this is a thinking/detective quest, and that really shouldn't be a surprise, given what Captain Abiram tells you up front. It's not a Hommlet style Fedex quest where you simply "go find the kids." If they were easily found, the watch would have found them.

So if you're having issues because you're treating it as a Fedex quest, I'm sorry but that's on you.

Some gentle guides ...

What did Captain Abiram ask you to do?

Who did Captain Abiram tell you were the principals involved?

What did he tell you about them - quirks, strengths, weaknesses? All these things will help you to figure out their angles and 'crack' them if need be.

What did the day steward have to say?

~

Pro-tip: in order for a day/night standpoint NPC to appear on a map at the assigned time of day (like the day and night shift stewards), there has to be a map change. i.e., the night steward will never appear if you go down there during the day and just wait til night. This is a core engine limitation.

Lastly, I'm not going to just come out and say exactly what needs to be done to solve this (and I would encourage those who have finished it not to either), because once that happens players will catch on and just complete it by rote. It's a shame when that happens, as actually figuring out a challenging puzzle can be very satisfying. The idea is to get you involved and invested, not just to add to your checklist of jobs to do.

12. Crusader

Crusader Member

What I did was talk to the two Stewerds and the Lizardman. I searched the sewers using the Secret Door spell and used the Search command on places that looked intresting. I checked where the Day Steward said the children where riding sheep and where he said the mad man where driving mules, AND where he said the Night Steward where killing goats. But I haven't found any clue exept one I got when I in frustration struck down one of the Stewards (I reloaded the save before that because it did not help me anyway).

I'm now stranger to adventure games and games where you solve crimes but this feal like it's impossible. In thoes games you have a clue of what to use but in this game...

As for Captain Abiram, I have checked what he said again and he told me to search the sewers and ask the people I met about it and not to hurt dem, and to only search the sewers and gave me a coverstory.

I gues I'll try some more. I have one last idea but it that doesn't work...

13. Gaear

Did Abiram have a comment about the day steward's sanity? If so, and if it was negative, it may not be the best idea to take anything that guy says literally. At least not without changing his mindset somehow.

What all did you learn from the two stewards? How did they react to you, and how did you leave off with them? Are you all still good friends?

14. Crusader

Crusader Member

No. They hate me by now. :p Don't know what I learned from the Day Steward, he was so crazy. He hated and liked the Night Steward. And the Night Steward where just friendy and liked the Day Steward. He hadn't seen or heard anything. I tried to follow him with an invissable character for an hour to se if he would lead me to the children but that didn't give any result.

Yeah, I know Abiram said he was paranoid and crazy. I tried summoning a Bat and a Rat to scare him (my last idea) but that didn't work.
    Or maybe you mean by changing his mindset that I should try to heal him like I did the guy in Hommlet?
    Edit: That did not help so probobly not. :p

15. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

There is also a spell called cause fear, that makes people scared. The quest does work (at least I have goten one of the scenarios to) :thumbsup:

Our Host!