Tutorial: Touch-ups

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by vampiricpuppy, May 12, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

Re: Map Post-Production Crash-Course

regarding your query on touch-ups you sent me krunch, here's the quick way to achieve what you want.

1. Select the areas of the object that are problematic, using the polygonal lasso tool - to select multiple areas, you select an area, then start selecting another while holding shift for the first click.

2. paste a suitable texture into photoshop (if you lose your selection: select > reselect)

3. select inverse, and delete the area outside your selection on that new layer, leaving fresh pixels behind.

4. Create another layer on top of that for shading, in this case i simply did a gradient from black to transparent over the top of the object, but for better control you'd want to use a brush. I find shading easier if i make the darkest areas 100% black, the lightest areas 100% white, and shade on a larger range - i then fade the shading layer to an appropriate percentage to make the shadows not quite so opaque

hope that helps :D

theres also a tileable textures tutorial i did a while back if you think its relevant:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4491

Attached Files:

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

there is also the quick mask - visable in the above snapshot below the selected colours panel. In quick mask you can manually draw the area whick will become the selection. you can use this to add or remove parts of a selection or to create a complex selection which would otherwise be very dificult using the marque tool.

3. vampiricpuppy

yep - quick mask (shortcut q) is waaaaaaaay better than poly lasso - pen tool is also far superior.

quick mask lets you 'paint' and erase areas of selection.

Pen tool lets you create bezier curves around vector points, which is VERY good if you know how to use it, but some people find it difficult to use.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here is what I was able to do with one piece of the ruins.

IMO - several attempts and below looks best toward the final effort
    * requires some minor touchup as objects are very close to each other

thnx vampiricpuppy and cujo :yes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  5. vampiricpuppy

what type of lighting scheme are you wanting for your map? overhead sunlight, or slanted? are you confident in setting that up - as well as overall colour alterations etc?

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

That was a large-scaled, oversized pic of the actual image in the game. So, it's blurry as is shown above.

uhm - Lemme think about the questions. :scratchhe I'll get back with you on the answers.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
Our Host!